1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Make your own USB LCD controller!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ch424, 23 Jun 2006.

1. Perides

Perides What's a Dremel?

Hi!!!
    After read full thread I´ve got mine working. Without contrast since can´t have preset at hand. Just put LCD pin 3 at ground. No rotary encoder also.

[​IMG]

Can I have the source code?

Best regards,
    Mauro

2. wally88

wally88 What's a Dremel?

Hi, I'm new on the forum, I am from argentina
    my English is not very good, so I use the google translator
    I wanted to ask for help, I did the usb-lcd, windows recognizes it and I install it, but LCD-Smarties says "Failed to open device: Initialize DLL error: Exception MATRIX.DLL: A device attached to the system is not working."
    Please help me to make it work

I have a 4x20 LCD, PIC18F2550

EDIT: I modified the circuit, and connect it like this

pin1 of PIC to resistor 10k to 5V
    pin9 and 10 to X1 to 22pF to ground
    pin 15 and 16 USB data
    pin14 to capacitor C4 100nF
    pin19 to ground
    pin 20 to 5V
    and pin 21 to 27 to LCD (21-D4, 22-D5, 23-D6, 24-D7, 25-E, 26-RW, 27-RS)
    all the others pins are NC

this way windows recognizes it, but LCD Smartie says says "Failed to open device: Initialize DLL error: Exception MATRIX.DLL: A device attached to the system is not working" what im doing wrong? please help!

its necesary to connect another pin of PIC to get this work fine? Sorry for my english

Last edited: 7 Jun 2009
  3. icebox

icebox What's a Dremel?

4. almamater

almamater What's a Dremel?

5. wally88

wally88 What's a Dremel?

Thanks Altamater, but you was using 33pf instead 22pf that was your problem.
    my problem is other i think, like i say before i rebuild the circuit based on the schematics, but this is wrong, for example pin 19 and 20 on schematics are NC, so when i plug nothing happens cause dont have power.
    so i rebuild again the circuit based on the original design of ch424, without a few things, like rotary, backlight control, contrast, buzzer. but lcd smartie says "Failed to open device: Initialize DLL error: Exception MATRIX.DLL: A device attached to the system is not working"

so my question is, have to connect some more pin to get this work fine?
    maybe must connect pins 11, 12, 13 to R 10k to 5v?

i have it connected like this now

pin1 of PIC to resistor 10k to 5V
    pin9 and 10 to X1 to 22pF to ground
    pin 15 and 16 USB data
    pin14 to capacitor C4 100nF
    pin19 to ground
    pin 20 to 5V
    and pin 21 to 27 to LCD (21-D4, 22-D5, 23-D6, 24-D7, 25-E, 26-RW, 27-RS)
    all the others pins are NC

Sorry for my bad english, this time i don't use the translator xD

EDIT: 2 things, 1st i use the ART2003 programmer, i have to program the PIC with LVP (its the only way i can program it)
    and 2nd i test the LCD connected to parallel port and its working fine.
    Altamater i see on youtube that you are from Portugal, speak spanish right?

Last edited: 8 Jun 2009
  6. wally88

wally88 What's a Dremel?

sorry for double post...

i buy a breadboard and all the components again, remade the circuit, windows recognize it perfectly and this time LCD Smartie dont show any messages, but the display dont show nothing, just all blocks on 1st and 3rd line, and appears like if i turn contrast to minimal (and it's connected directly to ground)

maybe incompatible driver? i use windows XP pro service pack 3
    The display works fine connected to LPT Port.
    Please help me

another thing, like i say before i use the ART2003 pic programmer, i have to program the PIC with LVP enabled, cause its the only way i can program with this programmer, maybe the LVP option enabled is the problem?
    if that is the problem i will made a JDM serial programmer and reprogram the PIC with LVP Disabled

EDIT: i've been reading and find this http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=1450872&highlight=LVP#post1450872
    post #230, so LVP enabled is my problem right?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 11 Jun 2009
  7. wally88

wally88 What's a Dremel?

hi, can someone post the config of JDM Programmer on winpic800, or winpic programmer?
    please!!

8. PeterUK

PeterUK What's a Dremel?

Hi, Could anyone that has got the PIC source code from this project to pass it on? Thank you in advance for you help!

9. wally88

wally88 What's a Dremel?

Well.... thanks ch424 for the great project, thanks altamater for your answer.
    i ask for help and wait for a few days but no answers, so i finally get the solution by myself
    thanks anyway, bye

[​IMG]

10. Skateboxx

Skateboxx Skates N' Dremel

im not too good in electonic but i appreciated the great work...nice one sir! :)

11. rvalotta

rvalotta Dremel? Angle Grinder =)

Just finished reading all 31 Pages of this thread and all I can say is wow... There were a couple of references to the source being made available publicly. Did that ever happen? Could someone email me a copy of the source for the 4550 and push button support I'd appreciate it

glitch_inc[at]hotmail[dot]com

On Second thought I'd like to see both codes (rotary support as well) I'm curious how that works code wise.

12. sampower

sampower What's a Dremel?

Hello I'm noob jeje

I'm argentinian.

I used LCD Smartie before using the parallel port. It's great but my motherboard haven't a parallel port =( and I'm using all PCI slots so I can't put a parallel pci controllerboard.

It could not be difficult for me to do this project, I think that I can get all components and I have a PIC programmer board too.
    This is the problem... I wonder what J2(ALPS 11mm rotary encoder (from RS, part 263-2930)) exactly is. Is it an encoder like a Natural BCD to Decimal for example? I mean like the chip, but it's in something like a potenciometer??? I'm lost jejeje. What's it funcion? Do you think that I could buy it in any electronic component store(or shop or depot I don't know how do you named them in english, the place where you buy electronic components).

Thanks in advance. Excuse me if my tecnical english is quite bad.
    Regards
    sampower

13. wally88

wally88 What's a Dremel?

Hola Sampower yo tambien soy argentino, termine el proyecto aunque practicamente sin ayuda, si leiste los comentarios mas arriba entenderas jeje, te cuento que por lo que yo lei, el rotary encoder es algo asi como un interruptor de varias posiciones, sirve para navegar por menus personalizados en LCD Smartie, igualmente en algun lugar del post esta el firmware para usar botones en lugar del rotary.
    Por otro lado te cuento que yo no lo consegui y de todas formas puentee los pines para probarlo y no me funciono, asi como tampoco el ajuste de brillo por software, ni el buzzer jaja
    asi que saque todo eso que estaba de mas y deje lo escencial para que funcione la pantalla.
    Y un consejo para programar el pic es que te fijes varias paginas para atras, un usuario dice de instalar el winpic programmer y otro soft, el MPLAB que te selecciona automaticamente todos los fuses necesarios.
    Saludos desde Buenos Aires, Argentina, cualquier duda pregunta.

14. Parassita

Parassita What's a Dremel?

wonderful project
    I made it work perfectly
    if it is possible you could send me the source code? I would like to add features
    my email is persoldi11@gmail.com

thanks

15. thaimin

thaimin What's a Dremel?

Many people are looking for the source code. The source code for my modified version is available at http://www.coderforlife.com/projects/lcd

Note the circuit is not directly compatible! My project is related, however I changed many things in the circuit and the code. If you use my code you will have to modify your circuit! My code is based originally on the code by ch424 however I started over from scratch using his as a reference. Look at the page to find the circuit for my program. It uses mostly the same parts. You do not need some of the circuit (the output transistors / resistors). You will need extra 100 ohm resistor and 100uF cap at least, maybe more. Mine does not include a rotary, but I believe you could hook one up to 3 of the inputs and it would work.

My code actually has a number of new features over the one by ch424. Read my page for more information. A compiled version is also available along with some other stuff.

If you had read all 31 pages, you should have seen when I posted this on page 30...

16. thaimin

thaimin What's a Dremel?

I have a few questions about the behavior of my circuit / code:

I made display on / off control commands actually use the LCD display on / off commands instead of ch424's style of setting the backlight to 0. My method seems like the (idealisticly) correct way of doing it. But LCDSmartie I believe assumes ch424's style, as you can set a shutdown text, and then LCDSmartie sends the display off command, and you can't see the text anymore with my method however there is still light coming from it, however in ch424's method there is just no backlight.

So, who is right? Should display off turn off the display or turn off the backlight?

On a related note, if you plug mine into a computer that is off but has power the screen turns on and shows the boot-up message! Also after shutting down it remains on. This is not what I intended and I believe it has something to do with my startup procedure in my code...

17. gazman321

gazman321 What's a Dremel?

Hi all newbie here after some help !!!

Could someone please tell me what type of capacitors are used, not the ceramic or electrolytic, but the other type and their values please ? for the design in the first post.

Thanks

18. Wayneeboy

Wayneeboy What's a Dremel?

there are no other types used mate

19. gazman321

gazman321 What's a Dremel?

Great Thanks, I just noticed in some images there were 3 different types used

20. Wayneeboy

Wayneeboy What's a Dremel?

are you refering to the ones on page 2 ?? if so they are Mylar Film Capacitors and you can see they are big and bulky

Tags: