1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Manchester Cathedral still hates Resistance

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Oct 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Sigh... A church is a public place. The game is fictional and completely made up, much like the religion the cathedral represents :) Neither is a direct representation of the other. The "made up video game" has a section that merely takes place in/around the cathedral. How would that, in any way, impact the religious nature of the cathedral? No one is hurt, repressed or demeaned. The game hasn't said, "Down with Christianity" or anything like that.

3. Raiderfan001

Raiderfan001 I know what a Dremel is.....

I think more game makers should incorporate the Manchester Cathedral into their games just to spite them....lol

4. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

It is a disgrace this game got into the BAFTA's its an average shooter at best mmmkay.

The Church are obviously protesting to mirror my feelings.

5. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

Not this discussion again, can we not just link the 5 to 10 zillion threads we had about this last time, doubt that the arguments will have changed much since then.
    One side: it's a public place and the game is fiction, author/designer is not saying anything about god just using it as a background, if it was a book they could use any setting they want and an occasional smug anti religious quip thrown in for good measure.
    second side: not a public place owned by the church, if it had been a film it would have required permission to film how can taking lots of digital pictures and then rendering it for a game be any different, use of cathedral could give out the incorrect message that the cathedral (in a high gun crime area) thinks guns are cool and acceptable. Defensive arguments about religion thrown in.

how’s that for a summary

6. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Next time im in Manchester, i want to film this place and then edit it blowing up with people inside running out on fire.

7. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

ok ok, I can understand that you can`t just go about doing what you wnat whenever you want. But the church seems to be milking it a bit to me, I could almost guarentee that Sony doesn`t have a vendetta with Christians (you never know though) and want to destroy the church. An open apology should denote that it has more than likely been a design oversight. I mena someone probably decided an atmospheric beautifully created surrounding would complement the game, which I suppose would be a complement to the church and it`s archietectural design. Thats my opinion anyway.
    I haven`t played the game yet, mainly because Sony are bandits who haven`t really respected the European gamer IMO (until now that is) £299 ) Drool).

8. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

I don't see how your not allowed to do this ...

i mean, in Britain you have no right to conceal your face (or do anything if anyone takes a picture of you) why is a building any different?
    Gotta love how buildings have more rights then people .....

9. Tokukachi

Tokukachi Minimodder

You know BAFTA's for video games are BS when somthing as mediocre as Resistance make ths short list.

Ahh.. checked and its only nominated for: THE PC WORLD GAMERS AWARD, which sounds like BS anyway :)

Strangley, alot of the games that are shortlisted ar not out yet: http://www.bafta.org/site/page413.html

10. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Basically, with 1.7 million copies sold the Church of England is still crying for a cut of the pie.

11. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

All I keep hearin' is "whaaaaaa...". I mean, come on! They have to be, at this point, the only church in the world that's both been in a cool console game AND sharing a name with an AMD Athlon 64 core! :hehe:

12. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i consider this game a YAGS or Yet Another Generic Shooter... it has nothing that i consider that superior to any other game...... except for the part of using ww2 weapons against an alien invasion, and happening at the time of WW2..... braking the trend of yet another ww2 shooter, the cow is becoming tired of being milked....

13. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

i might buy a copy of the game and give it as a donation to the church during communion

Tags: Add Tags