1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Markey hopes to ban throttling

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 14 Feb 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I hate bandwidth throttling, ugh I have already gotten two emails from my ISP saying I use to much bandwidth, honestly what the hell am I paying for really? I hope something goes through to stop throttling bandwidth. Then I can go back to fully using my internet for what Im paying it for.

3. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

good!

now how about implementing the same legislation here instead of championing unworkable banning laws?

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i second this notion.

bandwidth throttling is like when you have payed for a motorway (that payed one near Manchester) and once you got on, with no other cars, you are forced to drive at speed limit of 30mph.

5. Shadow_101

Shadow_101 Minimodder

i think broadband needs to be in the title :)

6. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Hmmzz..

I have unlimited bandwidth for yeeeeaars already. I collect around 500GB worth of data per month. (I watch a lot of series in HD from overseas that are not available here)

Is this a typical UK thing. I mean being left behind with everything. First the 8mbit ADSL connection introduction last year ( eh... we are on 20+ mbit ADSL now folks). and only now they are willing to discus bandwidth limitation removal?

7. rhuitron

rhuitron Bump? What Bump?

Markey Mark Cheesecake!!!!!

By the way,
    ' Steve Largent has said that the bill is “an attempt to cure a problem that simply does not exist,” and that “Government intervention is not necessary.” '

Ohhh, so NOW it isn't necessary that big brother is in the mix?
    But any other useless case and it would be!

8. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

The sad thing is i could use more bandwidth per month on my old 512k line a had a few years back than i can now with a 10mb line :duh:

I'd quite happily pay extra to get an un-throttled connection, but the option simply isn't there :(

9. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

We need this in Britain too :(

10. freedom810

freedom810 Minimodder

The people he is speaking too sure seem fasinated.

Last edited: 14 Feb 2008
  11. rhuitron

rhuitron Bump? What Bump?

^ Freedom810

I Second THAT! ROFL

12. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Im 'fine' with bandwidth limits, for example 50gb per month - if I pay for that I expect to be able to use that and at the speed im also paying for.
    All this throttling based on ports/protocols HAVE to effect legit uses and unless its stated somewhere that you connection is actually 1:50-1000 contention (hi sky broadband/bt) then the telecomms companies are getting away with murder.
    They're happy to sell 1 million people 10mbit connections but can only support this number of clients at worse contention than advertised.

13. naokaji

naokaji whatever

just get rid of those old crappy copper cables so bandwidth throttling becomes unnecessary... (atleast for a while).

14. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

BW throttling is BS and tbh ISPs need to speed up connections rather than propogate who gets what because what I'm paying for every month is having access to the net at avg speeds of 8 Mbps download & 800 Kbps upload. Who are they to say how much of that I use every second of every day of every month? I'm paying for that access speed.

15. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

i've never had a problem with having my bandwidth throttled. However, I do support this legislation, as I think on principle, if it's advertised as unlimited it should *be* unlimited.

16. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

exactly why should we pay for something and then not be able to use it, complete BS.

17. Lemur 6

Lemur 6 What's a Dremel?

Problem is, if these companies are told by the gov't that they can't throttle bandwidth, they'll just go and charge you more for it. Greedy buggers... all of them.

18. Sark.inc

Sark.inc What's a Dremel?

we get this in NZ

we pay for a "full speed connection" of 8mbps, but really at most the line is only capable of 3-5 because the network is so degraded, not to mention that crap data caps we get, 10gb for 60NZ= about 45USD or so

Don't get me started on the upload...

19. Lowsidex2

Lowsidex2 Minimodder

They'll get it in one form or the other. Either throttling or in a pay-per-byte subscriptions.. maybe both. But with more legit forms of p2p and online movie watching, I see the latter being the more likely outcome.

20. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Yep ADSL sucks, I am with Telstra on cable and get my full 10Mbit but only 20GB for 70NZD I really miss my 16Mbit unlimited connection from the UK.

Tags: Add Tags