1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft cancels OneDrive unlimited storage offer

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 3 Nov 2015.

1. cdb

cdb No comment

I went to a wedding last week and shot 53GB of video and photos. It soon adds up. My 6TB will soon need expanding.

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Kind of my opinion about it.

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I wasn't aware Onedrive was meant to be a business-grade backup solution. I thought Crashplan was more that region.

4. monkiboi

monkiboi Minimodder

Unlimited - possibly one of the most misused words of our time

5. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I'm thinking more of people that paid for one year, are still currently under the 1TB limit but planned to potentially use more than that at some point in the year.

Maybe a small group of people, but the point is they paid for unlimited for a year.
    Just because they haven't gone over the new limit yet doesn't mean they weren't planning to.

I think it doesn't effect people until their current prepaid subscription expires. Still not sure though even after reading this: https://blog.onedrive.com/onedrive_changes/ and this: https://blog.onedrive.com/onedrive_changes_FAQ/

Either that or you can get a prorated refund.

They are massively reducing everything rather than just putting a semi-generous cap on 365 subs, which makes me think they badly misjudged the cost and usage of storage.
    If it was just a small percentage of users caning their unlimited allowance they wouldn't have to massively reduce small and free allowances too.

6. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

I'd just like to know what sort of internet connection someone had to upload 75TB of data :O

I'd be long dead before I could upload that much....

7. wolfticket

According to this it would take me a tad over 18 years. I really need to get fibre...

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

*threadomancy*

MS Have relented slightly, and are allowing those currently with 15GB of space and/or the 15GB Camera roll bonus to keep it... but only if you ask/opt in... Which you can do here if you feel so inclined...

Big Elf likes this.
  9. wolfticket

Thanks for the heads up.

It does rather beg the question who is doing the planning and PR for OneDrive though.
    Unlimited storage was inevitably going to cause trouble, and getting rid of bonus storage then giving it back but only if you ask nicely is hardly great PR. I can imagine people who miss the opt in then find out about it later being a bit annoyed.

I like the service but it all seems a bit shambolic at the moment.

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

What's the saying? There is no such thing as bad publicity. ;)