1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft unveils new controller, Project Natal

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 2 Jun 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Based on the demonstration video I can't see this technology as being anything other than disapointing, but that's based on how awesome Nintendo made the Wii look. If it does work as advertised, it would be better than anything Nintendo offers, as you don't need any controllers and it has more functionality.
    Wonder if it will take off without being bundled in at launch though.

3. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

So it's a high res eye toy with newer software? Erm... am I missing something big?

May well be cool, and will be interesting to see what people do with it, but I can't see it assisting much for the type of games people currently play.

4. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

It's an eyetoy with a wiimote and slightly better hardware and software.

5. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

aren't you missing a word here? entierly new form of gaming.

6. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

Yes. It has multiple sensors, so it can detect and map your movements in full 3D. This means potential 1:1 between what you do and what your character does. It can also allow a player to reach out and "grab" elements of a user interface.

This is much more powerful than an Eye Toy, which can barely separate a human form from a static background.

7. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

Hmmm, well if Mr. Molyneux promised it then it must be true :) he's never made over-the-top promises before...

Watching the demonstration video it looks like it would be very impressive if it works though.

8. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

project christmas? that's a nice name.....

9. benjamyn

benjamyn What's a Dremel?

Peter Monolyuex (sp?) was showing this thing off.... so take all the claims and promises with a truckload of salt :p

Admittingly it looks interesting, i liked the idea of eyetoy but it was too simple/gimmicky. i may get this just for minority report style dashboard browsing and to play some mini games with the family :p

10. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

What on Earth are you talking about? A wiimote? What wiimote?! And slightly better hardware?

It is a much higher definition camera, that can identify, differentiate and track multiple items or people, and looks like it will offer the 1:1 movement that pimlicosound mentioned. Imagine the Red Steel trailers, where they made it look like everything you did happened in the game, rather than the reality where all Nintendo did was replace buttons with arm waggling.

Not only that, but I think the 360 hardware is significantly more than "slightly better" than the Wii's.

11. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

12. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

...and it is all kinds of awesome.

13. benjamyn

benjamyn What's a Dremel?

I'm interested to see how well/accurate this thing works in reality and not pre-scripted trailers/videos :p

Trailers sure made the Wii look alot more accurate than it ended up being. So I'm a little skeptical

14. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

You the whole word, the whole thing.

I'll have to watch the video for this later tonight.

15. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Exactly why I both sceptical and enthusiastic. This industry is known for failed promises, but on the flip side, I am sure MS noticed this, and will make sure they deliver everything they promise and more. In all fairness, I don't think there are any details officially released by MS about Project Natal at the moment, so it is hard to know exactly what to expect or hope for.

16. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Having watched the actual usage of it on the live stream last night it actually looks like it can do most of what it says. Best part was the demo was not without glitches so we can believe its reality rather than a "perfect" scenario.
    Sure its a bit of a gimmick aimed at reclaiming some of that casual market and sure its a refinement of the eye toy but none the less, it IS interesting, specifically the usage of it in the dashboard.

17. zimbloggy

zimbloggy Genius Extraordinaire

I am still a bit skeptical of the voice-interaction part.

18. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

No kidding... First Microsoft Sight (Vista) and now this? :lol:

19. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I hope this works out for Microsoft. If done right with the right software support I think this could open a whole new market for the console. Currently the games and features offered by the console appeal to a very narrow market and this is where the Wii has capitalised.

20. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

seems everyone is jumping on the motion controller bandwagon, did anyone see Sonys Tech conference last night? the wand/eye toy controller looked interesting (although a bit gimicky) too.

Tags: Add Tags