1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft's Windows Subsystem for Linux to leave beta

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 31 Jul 2017.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Embrace, extend and extinguish is not dead.

3. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Well, I'm happy. The WSL has allowed me to get a couple of programs working "in Windows"... which is highly amusing. It's extremely useful to be able to be able to go back over data in the program that generated it, rather than in a program that sort-of-works, sort-of-doesn't.

And unless Microsoft hires literally every kernel dev out there, then orders them to stop working on Linux in their free time (because increasingly companies and universities are including clauses like that in contracts!) I can't see how they can extinguish Linux. Those that want to use it, will, those who don't (for whatever reason)... won't. Red Hat won't be going away any time soon, and in fact have shown Microsoft that "Software as a Service" is a thing. RH didn't make a billion dollars selling open source software... they made a billion dollars selling service and support. :)

4. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

"the company has 'no current plans to support X/GUI apps, desktops, servers etc. at this time.'"

No worries. Got VcXsrv installed. Couldn't think of a damn thing to do with it, so I played a round of XBill on Linux on Windows.

5. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Similar. Graphical applications are entirely usable, just via something like Xming.

Tags: Add Tags