1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Migrating/Mirroring OS and programs from one SSD to another

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pac-man, 27 Apr 2012.

1. pac-man

pac-man What's a Dremel?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to migrate/mirror my entire OS including all programs etc from a 60GB Vertex first gen to a 120GB Vertex 3. I wanted to know the best way to do this?

If I have to purchase a software license then that's fine as I'd be willing to pay. Still, if anyone knows a free alternative then that would be even better! :) I noticed a free clone software called 'CloneZilla'. Anyone used this before?

Replies are much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

P

2. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Acronis true image one of the best bits of software for cloning there is I always use it myself.

PingPong likes this.
  3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I've used Clonezilla with no problems. It's just like that TV-advertised varnish - "Does exactly what it says on the tin".

4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Clonezilla works well, but buying Acronis also gives you a superb back up solution as well as a means of just cloning your drive.

5. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

This, +1 to Acronis

6. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

I've used Clonezilla a bunch of times and it's worked perfectly for me.

(except when I was trying to copy a Macbook drive, with a Bootcamp partition to a larger drive, and expand both partitions, but that's a pretty niche case)

7. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

I believe that would be ronseal

As for ghosting I've used clonezilla and acronis and they both work well.

But you could always just backup your appdata folder and other stuff then reinstall, with appdata backed up whenever you reinstall a program all the settings should be there still

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

8. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I am aware of who owns the catchphrase, I was merely trying NOT to namecheck them.

9. Dreamslacker

Dreamslacker Minimodder

I highly recommend Acronis TrueImage. Even the home version is much better than the the Symantec offerings.

Clonezilla works well if you take note of the limitations for NTFS drives in particular. It cannot resize the partitions so your destination drive needs to be larger or equal in capacity.

OTOH, Acronis can transparently resize the partitions to fit so long as your destination drive is large enough to hold the amount of used data on the source drive.

Tags: