1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Mixed Ram Brands

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Scroome, 5 Oct 2018.

1. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Hey all,

So I know the recommended advice is to never mix ram brands, and in an ideal situation I wouldn't, but I have a mini dilemma.

I purchased 4 separate DDR4 2666 4GB from CEX online, as the prices were pretty good at the time (£28 a stick). It was a bit of a lottery I admit, as you don't know what you're getting, until they arrive.

When they arrived, to my surprise, they weren't some bargain basic sticks.
    Three of the sticks turned out to be Vengeance LPX and one stick of HyperX Fury.

My question is: Am I able to run the four sticks together? (2X Dual channel)
    The Vengeance LPX have a CAS of 16-18-18
    The HyperX Fury has a CAS of 15-17-17

Both are running at 1.2v

I suppose two things here:
    Can they all run together, without any meddling? (I'm guessing not)
    Alternatively; If I change the CAS of the HyperX in my bios, to that of the Vengeance, will that make it more likely to work together?

I'm due to travel to the States for three months, Thursday next week, so it's doubtful I have the time to see if CEX can swap for another Vengeance.

Cheers

Steve

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

They may work together without messing about with settings, you won't know for sure until you give it a try but with the timings so close together the chances are good'ish that it will work.

If they don't work or cause issues (BSOD, refusing to boot, data corruption) then changing the timings of the HyperX to that of the Vengeance should alleviate those problems, again you won't know until you try.

From what i can tell the SPD rating for the Vengeance LPX is actually 15-15-15-36 so if it all works off the bat without problems you could probably get away with tightening the timings of the Vengeance LPX to match those of the HyperX if you can be bothered with the hassle.