1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mobile Barton trouble

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by J453, 20 May 2004.

1. J453

J453 What's a Dremel?

I have recently purchased a mobile barton 2500, cause you guys were getting such high clocks etc, and my m8s was beating my dying 2800 lol

I received the AXMH2500FQQ4C IQYHA0406TPMW Batch

my m8 is at 12*200 @ 1.7v stable

so i tried it, it wasnt stable in windows, hmm oh yeah, abit undervolt the vcore by .5v so i put it to 1.75v, still not stable, hmm 1.8v ok its stable, but not in games, why is ths, i thought these were ultimate OCers, i have to have its at 1.9v to keep its stable, or at least i think, but its at 70C !!! and i dont have the time to run prime95..

BigZ youre the expert :hehe: , can you tell me whats wrong?

Much thanks

Jase.

2. k3nn

k3nn What's a Dremel?

very strange, have you tryed a different psu, could be a problem with the supply, what you running at the moment?

3. J453

J453 What's a Dremel?

its not the psu, its an antec lol, and u could just use msn since ur online right now lol

To clear it up, its desktop stable, but after about 10-15 mins playing Call Of Duty it freezes, i can still hear the ambient sounds of the game but if i access taskmanager i only see the mouse cursor

4. J453

J453 What's a Dremel?

http://img49.photobucket.com/albums/v150/UberJase/prime.jpg

goddamn it, this is BS, this isnt supposed to be happening, why do i never have any luck when it comes to something involving a CPU ffs :wallbash:

i can afford big cooling, and copper coolers dont seem to work for me, so i cannot keep these stupidly high VCores... damn it might aswell RMA is and get something .. else

5. mushky

mushky gimme snails

maybe you could get more but a 600 Mhz overclock with a volcano 9 isnt a bad thing mate. Are you sure it's mounted properly?
    70 degrees does sound a lot but how accurate is the reading?

6. J453

J453 What's a Dremel?

yeah its a great thing, but it isnt stable and the reading is correct, high temps are never good, and i think purchasing this cpu was a waste of my money

7. tian905

tian905 What's a Dremel?

Could you not lose half a multiplier and up your FSB to compensate, multi's like volts.

Your running 200Mhz RAM, should be some room for a slight overclock, up the ram volts and try 11.5 x 210. Maybe back of on your ram timings a little.

Also the Mobiles like the L12 Wire mod, to trick the bios into think the processor is a 200MHZ chip not a 133mhz. I was crapping out at 215Mhz FSB until I did the L12, now I'm flying along @ 10.5 x 230 that's at 1.775 volts, NF7 though so it's gonna be undervolting.

try this link for a guide to the L12 mod. I use two pieces of wire in the socket rather than any soldering or blowing of bridges.
    http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html

Hope it helps.

C ya

Ian

Quick Edit, I was running the above speed on a lapped volcano 12 for a good while, at a decent sound level. Temps were hitting mid 50's in prime95, I've gone over to water now though.

Last edited: 21 May 2004
  8. Endre

Endre What's a Dremel?

If it's at 70C with 1,9v that explains the "poor" OC. For better OC results you need to cool the chip better.

9. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Man get a decent cooler on the thing, slk 947 or summit with a high cfm fan, vantec tornado or something, THEN try and OC it... with temps at 70, theres no wonder its failing!
    That I belive is also an "i" stepping cpu which IIRC (probably not though) is a good stepping chip to have. Get a new cooler/fan and then work on it...
    The chip wasnt a waste of money, a 600mhz overlcok isnt bad, and with decent cooling, you might well be able to add a little more voltage and hit 2.5-2.6...
    As tian suggested, the L12 *might* help, so thats worth a try, he also mentioned increasing the FSB, thats a valid point as well, see how far the ram will go, feed it say 2.8-2.9v and see what you can reach without changing the timings...

10. Tim S

Tim S OG

I'll post more tomorrow when I'm sober... but I'll just say cooling cooling cooling for now. ;)

11. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Remember this chip is designed to run at 1.8GHz and when running at 2.4 - 2.5GHz or higher you are increasing the voltage and therefore heat.

Also not every Mobile Barton is going to get the same overclock, more often than not they will hit 2.4 - 2.5GHz stable, with decent voltage (heat).

Yeh you guessed it I'm also going to suggest its a heat issue, can you double, nah triple check your heatsink is properly seated, the slightest missalignment of the heatsink will cause instability.

Or it may be time for a better cooler

12. J453

J453 What's a Dremel?

I've got a SK-7 lying around somewhere, will try that, but it wouldnt let the system boot with the 2800 before, hmm.

I'll have to try it at 5PM tonight, got work at 1PM, damn.

Cheers for the replies.

13. J453

J453 What's a Dremel?

OK managed to fit the SK7 quickly, once again it refuses to let my system boot, on, off, 2tone siren, does it with a 2800 and a mobile barton in an NF7, a 2800 in a leadtek, a mobile barton in a DFI lanparty, guess its a ****e heatsink, and since i cant afford a new cooler atm i have run low on options..

its only at 50C load at 12*200 @ 1.7v and it should be stable but it isnt (thats 1.7v actual, 1.75 in abit bios) so it cant be unstable due to heat.

14. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Once you get past a certain point these chips do need a bit of a voltage boost to keep stable, for 2500MHz I need 1.975v for complete stability on my NF7-S and DFI.

Beyond those speeds I need over 2volts, upto 2.1v, every chip is different though.

15. olv

olv he's so bright

Most chips NEED a good burning in to get anywhere near their max stable speeds. I feel you'd seee some much improved results if you could run 2 instances of Prime95 with your cpu at low speed but with high voltage of ~1.95v for as long as possible, 12-24 hours. But until you sort some decent cooling then it seems unlikely that you'll be able to burn in at that voltage. It's may be worth burning in at 1.8 if your cpu cooler can handle it. But as everyone else has said, your TT cooler is holding you back.

16. J453

J453 What's a Dremel?

ah, burning in, good idea thanks.

and it has also been decided, i am going to invest in water cooling next month when my next pay rolls around :D i'm going for a researtor 1 for many reasons which suit my needs.

thanks fo your help guys, im at stock speed now (14*133 @1.45 = 1886MHz) so ill stay at this or maybe oc a tad until then

17. k3nn

k3nn What's a Dremel?

w00t, 2.4gGhz @ 1.7 volts seems my chip isn't to bad after all, allthough i cant get it past 2.4 stable, running with a volcano 9 atm, might invest in something a bit better, but temps seem fine so im not bothered.