1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Mod Gods - More Of The Best PC Mods Ever

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 11 May 2012.

1. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

As a long time member of bit-tech I must say that it is nice to see some attention brought to the great mods of yesteryear. How about some of the work by ZapWizard, Mr. Red, Sheldog23, 486 Hawk, Rotosequence, Tech Daddy? Gnome's WMD?

So many great mods and modders, it must be difficult to choose from all of them.

Last edited: 14 May 2012
  2. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

WMD is recent compared to the likes or Orca!

3. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Haven't seen ZapWizard posting on these forums in an age, always used to like reading his project logs.

4. wahoomcdaniel

wahoomcdaniel Minimodder

Great mods from long ago. One that I always liked, but missing from your list, is Hypercube by Joungne.

5. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

That was it's name! I remember the mod, just couldn't remember the name. I agree that is one of the great mods as well.

6. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

The first thought that struck me. "It's all about the "Details"

Great memories revisited :rock:

7. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

:thumb: Great memories indeed! Nice to see the old box looking shiny and new. Thanks to all the folks who have said kind things about it (and WMD). Cheers!

Great round-up of mods. A couple there I hadn't seen. But then, I haven't been active in the forums in a few years! Good to see people still making crazy with the ideas.

And yes...I built it 'cause I could. :D

--------------------------------------

And thanks to Geoff (The_Pope) for fixing the glitch in my account that had me unable to post.

Last edited: 18 May 2012
  8. Attila

Attila still thinking....

It's not often a great modder shows up after several years MIA. I'm sure lots of fans (myself included), would be interested in knowing a few things. Are Orac and WMD still around? What condition are they in? Did you ever use them for day to day computing/gaming? Do you ever think of getting back into modding/building?

Cheers G. :thumb:

9. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Still around. Both were boxed or wrapped-up years ago and put into storage.

Orac is partly disassembled - the pump, radiator & fan are missing. I gave these away to my brother-in-law who was getting into water cooling. I'm hopeful I might get them back one day. WMD is, case-wise, fully intact, just the Mobo and rest of the system were removed. Still has the PSUs and WC inside. Externally, no different from the final article photos. I plan to recycle some of WMD into future artworks.

I did use them a bit, but then had no room wherein to put them as I moved house, to one with a tiny tiny study. So they got shoved into storage. I've done everything on a laptop for the last half-dozen years. All Mac these days: Macbook Pro, iPads, iPhone, iPods, you name it. I don't game any more. Not for years. Hate to sound 'bah humbug' but priorities change in life and gaming takes way too much time away from children and work I should be doing (as does TV which I don't watch any more either beyond downloading the odd series I like).

Short answer: yes. I have so many ideas it isn't funny.

But then I have been 'modding' stuff since bit-tech anyway. I still have the desire to pull things apart and re-wire them or personalise gizmos. I did a couple of years part-time learning machining (lathe/mill) and since then I got into gun-smithing for a few years & built a custom target rifle for myself for competition shooting (all machined anodised aluminium and stainless steel) and have modded a lot of guns for various people; though rarely these days.

I'm still creative in the visual arts - painting & photography - and designing things. I've also been doing a lot of creative writing and writing courses the last few years. My main focus for several years has been on my writing and artwork. Whenever I have a visual idea for a PC mod, I re-frame it into an idea for a painting, or some such.

Will there be another G-gnome PC mod? Unlikely, though stranger things have happened. It is a costly, and more importantly time-consuming, hobby. I have so many other things on my plate now, and I've found there is precious little time at any one point in a single life for more than one or two all-consuming passions. Mine are now my writing and my art.

I'm pleased people still find my work interesting after all this time. I hope it continues to inspire modders to be creative.:dremel:

Peter Dickison

10. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Thanks for the comprehensive and candid reply. :thumb:

A shame that we wont see another G-gnome build but perfectly understandable. My life ran, amazingly, the opposite of yours. I started off with painting and photography, had a few shows, did a bit of writing, built some furniture and ended up building PC's. These little boxes can use and contain all the areas of the visual arts that I've been interested in all my life. Anyway, good luck with your endeavors in the future. :)

11. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Great to see you posting back on the forum Pete, it's been a while.

12. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

It does & mods like this & others featured in this series will always be interesting & inspiring :clap: I could do a huge ramble on all the crazy awesomeness going on in Orac³ & still miss details I like but I won't, I'll just do this. :D:jawdrop::dremel::clap::hip::eeek::jawdrop:

And thanks for popping in Pete, you too Sleepstreamer. :rock::dremel::clap:

Cold Fusion & Hangar 101 are really superb.

Beyond the Grave & Temple of Nod, superb.

Someone said something about detail mods for this one, they all have been in the series, it's the details, cramped or spread out smoothly that make amazing projects & loved every single update to the series. :D

Reason I didn't comment on this one until now is I was having a small rough patch throughout May but said I'd get back to this one. :)

Tags: Add Tags