1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Modding some simple speakers

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Cannon^Fodder, 22 Feb 2004.

1. Cannon^Fodder

Cannon^Fodder What's a Dremel?

Hey there, I've got some old speakers which i'd like to connect up to my PC.
    They are the type that just have 2 wires coming from them, and clip into the back of older stereos. Hard to explain, but i'm sure most people know what im going on about.
    Anyway, back to the point.
    I'd like to get these on my pc and was wondering how i could fit audio jacks onto the wires. I've no idea when it comes to audio equipment, but i'm learning at the moment :)

Cheers guys,[
    Sean

2. lizard.boy

lizard.boy What's a Dremel?

i did that with a heaphone wire spliced into a speaker for my walkman. but unless your speakers are magnetically sheilded i wouldnt put them near computer componants

3. Altron

Altron Minimodder

You need an amplifier.

4. Cannon^Fodder

fair nuff, my bad. On headphones only at the mo :(

5. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

you could run them without the amp, they would just be really quite (depending on size). Wait come to think of it I can't figure out how you would hook those up as they have A positive and negative whereas computer speakers just have a left and right

6. Altron

Altron Minimodder

The line out will only give you 20mW or so (0.02w) which can't drive speakers, unless you tape the speakers to your ears.

And don't say "only headphones" headphones outperform regular speakers in several ways.

metarinka, sorry if I sound rude, but you have no idea what you're talking about.

The 3.5mm input on computer speakers does not connect to the speakers. It connects to a small amplifier, which then connects to the speakers. Speakers have only a positive and a ground. The familiar 3.5mm plug that your computer uses is:

the tip is left positive
    the ring nearest the tip is right positive
    the ring farthest from the tip is ground for both of them.

This goes into the amplifier, which amplifies them and sends them to the positive and ground of the speakers.

7. Cannon^Fodder

lol,
    i CAN say only headphones, because spending hours on a computer wearing headphones ACTUALLY HURTS :)
    dont give a damn about the performance of the sound. If i did i wouldn't be trying to rig up some crappy old speakers. Just trying to save my ears some pain :)
    Cheers for the info anyway

8. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Maybe you should get comfy headphones.

9. Cannon^Fodder

they're audio 90's, fairly comfy, just long periods on the computer ANY headphones will hurt after a while, especially because i've got quiet a few piercings in my ear that push into my skull :duh: