1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Monitor - tablet conversion

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by awadon, 3 May 2011.

1. awadon

awadon What's a Dremel?

For some time I wanted to make a monitor with the implementation of the function of graphics tablet. Devices of this type of cost a fortune. On the other hand, for very little money you can buy older laptops / tablets. I use the Toshiba M200 and the quality of Wacom placed there isentirely satisfactory to me.

Today I started.
    For the matrix donor I've used the Acer TravelMate C300. Matrix 14.1 "and 1024x768 resolution should be sufficient.

After dismantling we have such a view:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course, any orienting the topic knows that transformation LVDS matrix on the standard VGA is unprofitable. Or rather was. You can adopt electronics from the monitor. Or buy cheap converters VGA-LVDS.

[​IMG]

At the moment I only have a problem connecting the 30 pin matrix to a converter, which is 20 pin. Hence the request for help. Where can I find out scheme? Maybe someone can enlighten me? Conversion is possible, because in Hongkong are available adapters. Maybe not-ready for every matrix. But in the picture below you can see that the number and arrangement of the lines is like mine.

[​IMG]

The second issue is connecting the Wacom. This is RS version. As you can see it supports 9 lines as in the Com. Just do you not know what's what? How do I verify this lines? Has anyone an idea? Or maybe someone has access to an old COM Wacom, and can view the distribution of cables?

Gradually, I'll update the progress.

2. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

I have a serial wacom tablet, I could take a photo of the pcb near the serial socket if that helps. Mine takes the power supply through the serial port, to make things even more confusing!

3. awadon

awadon What's a Dremel?

I would be very grateful. If you can, please post some photos of the pcb and wires connections.

4. awadon

awadon What's a Dremel?

This morning I got a package. The so-called "LVDS-VGA Converter. It is nothing other than the electronics of the LCD monitor. But it costs peanuts.
    Yesterday I've been looking through a lot of datasheets. The idea was to convert the signal 30pin - on my matrix to the 20pin - the output of the converter.
    The conclusions are as follows.
    Most of the matrix has a 30pin LVDS pinout:

[​IMG]

Similarly, in the case 20pin LVDS

[​IMG]

But beware! This is not a rule! There are other outputs. So you better look for your own matrix datasheet.

[​IMG]

My matrix has very clearly indicated significant bus:)

[​IMG]

A plug from the converter looks like a twin.

[​IMG]

And that fooled me. The same arrangement of cables. The same quantity. But, unfortunately, 1 to 1 connection does not work. It turns out that in this case the first 2 pins is ground, and only the third is the voltage 3.3 V. After swapping everything whizzes!

[​IMG]

So the first part of my work is finished. Now remains Wacom. Once again I ask you about electronic images of the tablet. I do not know whether installed circuit, it's all there should be, or is there any other control system. So far I managed to decipher only that the Wacom is not directly actuated by the RS232, but by the LPC. LPC I do not know at the moment what it is. Waiting for suggestions:)

A few more photos of the converter. It may be useful for someone:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

Ok, took the wacom apart. some pics:
    <br>
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this helps towards your project!

6. awadon

awadon What's a Dremel?

One more question. right side of the first picture. You have a few cables here. Where they are connected ?? directly to the pad?? Or to another circuit board ???

By the way thanks for the pictures:) It's really helpful.

7. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

effectively the sensor in the "pad" is a larger circuit board, which the white cable leads to. The back and red cable leads to another board, which has the switch on it for the static electricity bit (makes paper stick to the board and not move)