1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Motherboards not passing EMI tests?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 27 Sep 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Vash-HT

Vash-HT What's a Dremel?

Isn't this more properly called EMC emissions testing?

On a side note, it would be pretty surprising if it did happen, these cert. places are usually very very thorough when looking at things like this. I wonder if Gigabyte will be audited or investigated on this. Companies sometimes choose a "golden" device for testing such as this, I wonder if they did this the first time around and not the 2nd.

3. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

This is part of why I prefer cases without windows.

4. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

Hmm.. very interesting observation.. I wonder how much effect plexi/acrylic windows actually have on this sort of thing.

5. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Well, you could embed a mesh of thin copper wires into a window (like they have on car windscreens) to make a faraday cage if EMI bothered you THAT much.

6. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre <b>banned</b>

Some people record using their PCs. A high quality condenser mic is very susceptible to EMI interference. Not to mention, even if it didnt come out of the case, the internals would still be affected. Hence EMI is a concern for at least some consumers who use their PCs as audio workstations.

7. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

LOL!

i bet its DFI thats paying for the test :p

8. dfrangu

dfrangu What's a Dremel?

No, in fact is a company with A... When you feel the competition is becoming too strong, the best thing is to throw a bad light on them... And they managed to do this...

9. MilkMan5

MilkMan5 Yeah man...

Hmmm, it seems to me that you have "hit the nail on the head", so to speak.

" ... It is quite possible that it wasn't Asus or MSI that paid for... "
    I wonder what gives people the idea that ASUS or MSI had nothing to do with this!

I’m sure this story will not go away, it will be interesting to see what happens next.

10. d3fiant

d3fiant What's a Dremel?

my old thermaltake skull case had a wire mesh on the window for this exact reason, as for the article, I doubt this is a one off and that these manufacturerws are always trying to get one over the others via what ever means present themselves

11. Tim S

Tim S OG

It's possible that they weren't involved, but they're certainly not ruled out. Think about it... they're all tier 1 mobo makers and someone else is feeling the squeeze because the tier 1 mobo manufacturers are stretching the market with their superior man power/resources in R&D. Whoever is feeling the squeeze gets them all tested and make the one that is causing the biggest headaches look pretty incompetent/bad.

I'm sure the story won't go away too... it'll be interesting to follow.

Tags: Add Tags