1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors motorbike

Discussion in 'General' started by Freedom, 2 Jun 2006.

1. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

Looking for a bike to learn on ie a 125cc. but i dnt realy know what to look for, ill be geting a secound hand one as iam cheap arse student.

2. babychaos

babychaos What's a Dremel?

Honda CG125. You can pick them up second hand for not much, and they will survive having a medium sized metoer being dropped on them. They run forever on the sight of a can of petrol. You won't look cool, but you'll get there.
    Autotrader is your friend

3. customh

customh conflagration.

Ill learn on a 600, why only a 125?

4. Hopakee

Hopakee What's a Dremel?

Becouse there is a age<->CC rule (atleast in Holland there is)
    It basicly means that if you are 18 you can only drive a 125CC or something like that.
    It's so you don't buy a hayabusa as soon as you got your licence and drive yourself into a wall with 200Mph.

Nick

5. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

i too am looking to go down this route, so will be interesting to see what people point out.
    i'm looking for a super-moto style (dirt bike with slicks *heart melts*) but most of all i need a big bike, im 6'4 so i dont wanna be looking silly....xD

6. babychaos

As Hopakee says, in the UK there are restrictions on what you can ride.

On Learner plates you can ride a 125cc (so long as its under 15bhp). After you pass your test you can ride a bigger bike depending on your age (I think its 33bhp under 21, 33bhp for 2 years then unlimited over, but don't quote me on that). Most people over 21 will do the Direct Access, which upon completing the test allows you to ride any bike.

Stickeh, most "learner" bikes tend to be a bit small. From personal experience, if you are serious about bikes you'll be wanting a full power machine pretty quickly after getting to grips with the 125, so don't waste too much money on them (I bought a dirty old CG125 for aout £500, rode it into the ground in 4 months, passed my test and bought a 500). Look on Autotrader, and local bike garages for cheap learner bikes. Its also worth grabbing the Haynes manual for them, as the small bikes tend to be mechanically simple, so you can do basic maintainence yourself.

Don't forget to budget for other important stuff (helmet, gloves, jacket etc). As a new rider there is a high chance that you'll take a spill, and even an old 125 can get you upto 60-70mph. Trust me when I say hitting the deck at 60 is no laughing matter , and you'll be glad of all the protection you can get.

BC

7. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

of course naturaly i will be after a decent helmet, jacket and golves. iam willing to spend more for decent protection

8. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

If you want a decent motocross bike go for a yamaha yz 125 (125cc) If you want something with a bigger motor go for the yz450F! I'm thinking about buy me one.
    Yamaha makes sweet motox bikes, and for protection I'd buy stuff from FOX racing,
    the quality is exelent and the looks are sweet, too!

9. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

ok well i realy just want a bike for transport iam at bangor uni in wales and want to do more hikeing next year. but as far as protection goes iam willing to pay more.

10. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

MV Agusta Brutale 910S tbh!
    But probably a bit out of budget. lol. Just the best looking bike evah!

Last edited: 2 Jun 2006
  11. Ab$olut

Ab$olut What's a Dremel?

dt125 is a great starter bike and a year or two old one will cost about £1200 and if you look after it you'll maybe lose a 100-200 off that

Other bikes to look at and are fun to ride is the nsr125 and tzr125 an mtx125 would be a good cheap option but they are quite rare but found This one

12. babychaos

I went there...great place! I know what you mean about wanting transport though, the hills can be a killer. I'm pretty certain Glanrafon is welsh for "steep", and Lon Pobty "really steep".

13. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

lol. i know wat ya mean but teh views to had are amazing just need a more reilble way of getin there and cant aford a car.(ps srry my crap spelling)

Tags: