1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Motorcycle Mayhem

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 24 Feb 2009.

1. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

The majority of the time it'll be by myself, so there's no harm in spending a bit more to make it an easier job! Thanks for the advice folks. Going to get the stand and some cleaning stuff ordered and hopefully clean up the chain and bike next week after my final deadline on Tuesday.

Also, anyone have a pro-tip for removing the baked on black spots from the exhaust muffler without scratching it to pieces? Haven't figured out a way yet.

2. wiby645

wiby645 Minimodder

use autosol on the exhaust, my exhaust came up like new

3. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

So how has everyone been enjoying the weather? It's almost been too hot for me!

Bought a shedload of new stuff over the last week. Went to have a look at some leathers at Infinity Motorcycles in Farnborough. Tried on a few sets of dainese 2 piecers. Made me realise how exposed I am with my current gear. So, I stomached the ludicious money (over 600 of the finest UK currency!) and bought the following...

Dainese SF Pelle trousers:
    [​IMG]

And this jacket, Dainese Newater:

[​IMG]

Then I also won some of the quick release Givi side panniers and mounting on ebay for £170, normally £400ish new so very pleased with that!

So poor now though :(

4. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

Nice, and Dianese are superb quality.

I've been looking at the Laguna Seca one piece - I have a Spyke 1 piece atm but it's getting a bit (5 years) old.

Thing is, I'm not a small lad (the name Fat Tony sort of gives it away) and the last thing I really want to be doing is wearing skin tight leathers.

The option above looks good.

5. Xir

Xir Modder

If you wheel is not out of line, this effect is normal for a worn chain. I've had it on both the ducati and the aprilia. An unevenly lenghthened chain happends on v-twins.
    200 pounds for a chain kit (chain and sprockets) including mounting isn't extraordinary. Not bad actualy.
    I can recommend "proxxon" for good quality tools that won't breat the bank.

6. dieharder

dieharder What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

I do like smart cars :D

Hey Guys I just bought my first Big Bike. My lovely R6 the better place to find a bike was gumtree.
    As Autotrader dont update there site that well as I called up 4 people all who had sold there bike and still up there.

In the end I got it for 2000 knock off 230 becuase you can see it but all the fairing are scratched, you dont notice them really. Its got braided brake lines not fitted yet......
    read break pads.

It got Michelin Power pure, I collected it friday I had to wait 2 weeks as he had lost the log book.
    I did go for a long ride on sunday, Then I went to college today so going down the A3 flat tyre :(

Someone had done a tubeless repair and continted on tyre and it just gave out so off to Guildford tyres and hour later one new Back tyre and £140 pounds later. :baby:

Also the whole is 600 sport bike all right for beginners well as long as you have good control your fine. I do over rev it when I start riding from a parked postion.
    Did have a police car turn around and follow me for 1 to 2 miles but I just had my new tyre on so I have to be careful of corners and roundabouts for 50 miles and no leaning :jawdrop:

Bennett's was the best quote I got as a few insurance companies don't like 1 years no clams on a 125 :( The Best quote I got was 700 with it parked on the street with alarm and of course Front disk Break

Also looking into DB killers ?
    And some advice guys on what tyre pressures do you have on bikes ?

Last edited: 30 May 2012
  7. julianmartin

If you have an aftermarket exhaust, the decent ones normally come with a DB killer to start with. If you cannot find it, find the brand and you should be able to get one if you call up the distributor or manufacturer. Prepare for a shock in price though. If it is OEM, it should be street legal already.

700 is decent for on street parking.

Tyre pressures are bike relative. My VFR800 is a fat heavy bitch so requires stupid PSIs, your 600 will be so light in comparison and should be different. Just google your bike and tyre pressures and you should find what you need. It's worth reading up about your particular tyre pressures as I have found some tyres like to be a bit higher, my BT021s on my old bike did not like being on the low side at all, and would slip and skid like a bitch if they were down.

I live in Haslemere so you aren't too far away, and The RAM is in Chichester and we've ridden together once. So you should defo get involved with us!!! I'm sure there are a couple of other members around us as well.

Edit: be a bit wary of no leaning on the tyres, you need to scrub the whole surface in. If you just ride in a straight line for 50 miles, you'll get a nasty surprise round your first fast corner, if you see what I mean. Gently start to lean the bike more and more as you go on.

PS: nice buy!!!!

8. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

Agreed - I generally go for AFAM - but I have no other reference point

9. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

Nice bike !

Re: tyre pressures, it really doesn't matter unless your racing, stick with the manufacturers recommended pressures. I would have a good old web search regarding suspension settings though, and just because the previous owner has probably had a good old fiddle and set them all to c0ck.

Re: Exhausts, if you're looking to buy a new can - or full system - think about buying one from the US. You'll need to factor in the shipping costs and the import duty of course, but the plus point is that the ones deemed "illegal" in the UK - the race ones without baffles - aren't stamped "not for road use" like ours are - and you can buy Kite Mark stickers on eBay. :naughty:

I can vouch that this actually works btw.

At next chain and sprocket change - I'd consider going +1 tooth on the rear. While this might make the bike a little more wheely prone, it will have the effect of - 1. Making it feel like it has more torque 2. Making it nippier in real world - around town - scenarios and (probably) most importantly it will make the speedo over-read - making you think you're going faster than you are, and thus adding just a little to the security of your licence.

Every bike I've ever owned, bar none, has been improved with +1 on the rear sprocket.

Enjoy !! Great bike

:thumb:

10. Xir

Xir Modder

Didn't it come with a manual?
    Tyre presures and a few suspension setups should be in there.

That said, check the tyre manufacturers website.
    Bridgestone for instance reccommends a higher rear tyre pressure than my handbook (for this bike and tyre).

All corect except for the speedo-overreading.
    Not all bikes read the speedo at the gearbox-exit.
    Some Honda's do, but most don't, most use the front wheel exactly for this reason.

11. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

Erm, ok, if you say so, I'm not an engineer or a mechanic so I have no expertise or knowledge - but, and without trying to give you the wrong idea of what sort of rider I am - ahem - I can go through the gearbox with the front wheel in the air, and the speedo doesn't drop to zero ...

12. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

Just bought an Alpinestars textile mesh jacket with a back protector to go with it. Shame the sun's buggered off again :(

13. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

Well I'll be reunited with my bike on Tuesday having had a new chain/sprockets fitted as well as a new front brake light switch and my entire rear brake mechanism cleaned and checked. Total of £195. Not bad at all I think, especially considering the guy's stored it for over two weeks whilst I've been away. All before my lovely 300 mile journey back to the north! Fun fun fun! Motorways...

14. julianmartin

That's a good price dude. Where did you find him? Not a long haired bloke just outside of Chi (lavant) by any chance is it?

15. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

Coincidentally I was recommended him by my girlfriend's neighbour when I was returning some borrowed tools. He's called Colin Strudwick. Really nice bloke actually. Picked the bike up in a van, done the work and been happy to keep it whilst I've been away. Bar the slight annoyance of him being on holiday over jubilee weekend, which is fair enough, and me not getting my bike when I arrived back from America he's been fine. Even dropping the bike off for free too at an agreed time on Tuesday. Fab!

Despite my journey home on Tuesday being 300 motorway miles I can't wait to get riding again. Missed it so much! :)

16. wiby645

wiby645 Minimodder

a long time and no posts in this thread
    julian, u got a great buy with the dianese gear, its expensive for a reason. it will last for years,ive had a 2 piece suit approx 3 years, looks good as new :D
    my gsxr 600 has a new chain and sprocket set going on soon, keeping standard teeth settings.

anyone know of any 0% finance deals in the uk?
    kawasaki have the zx10-r, but that will be to much for me
    ktm have the brand new 690 0%, and its very, very tempting.

17. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

Triumph Street Triple? They're throwing in some colour coded accessories with each new bike too... do want :sigh:

18. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

I've had two, and have done track days and toured Europe comfortably. I can categorically state that they only go as fast as you want them to.

19. RTT

RTT #parp

Don't bother with the 690, waste of time & money. They are plagued with problems related to the ECU (stalling on deceleration and false neutrals being the big ones), iffy dealer/factory support (no one seems to be able to fix them) and terrible resale value combined with being f'king expensive to begin with! The running joke is that the KTM PowerParts Prayer Mat is experiencing supply problems :D

Cracking bikes, end of.

Last edited: 12 Jun 2012
  20. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

First lesson booked in for the 29th June, learning on a Honda CBF 500! :D