1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware MSI X79 sneak peak

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 19 Oct 2011.

1. SolidShot

SolidShot Minimodder

its chilling, probably for a molex powered cpu fan?

2. Roskoken

Roskoken What's a Dremel?

ZOMGZOMGZOMG

MILITARY CLASS 2!!!!! HARDWARE!

Now all I need is my degree in Computer Science 3 and I can build my Gundam JUST LIKE ON THE MSI WEBSITE WOOOP!

3. cesmadj

cesmadj What's a Dremel?

4. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

its generally to provide extra power to the pcie lanes, I think its identical to whats on my Rampage III extreme.

5. slothy89

slothy89 MicroModder

That would be my theory too. Extra power for quad SLI/xFire. Why they can't use SATA or ATX 4-pin power I'll never know :p

6. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

True, but I'm using every single SATA connector I have on drives (OD & HDD), but I'm not using a single Molex now that I don't use IDE drives. Same with the 4-pin ATX - where are you going to find a PSU with more than an 8-pin or 4+4? (I could be wrong - I've never had occasion to look for that as a feature.) Molex makes a lot of sense for this application, although a right-angle plug at the edge of the board would be nice.

7. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Oh, yes - HAHA! Take that, Intel fans! We AMD people have no such troubles with going broke because of all the awesome new hardware constantly flooding out!

Did that sound bitter? 'Cause it's totally not...Intel could have 2 Netburst-esque missteps and AMD would still be behind *sigh*

8. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

MSI just need to copy Asus EFI bios and i'd be in else ROG for me.

9. the_kille4

the_kille4 Chaos will rule da world.eventually

i just wish that a mobo manufacturer can try making a 90 degree angle 24 pin connector.

Anyway this "preview" is already quite old... but then I never checked bit-tech for the latest teasers anyway.

This motherboard is only the few X79 boards that can put 8 sticks of ram... although I don't see a gamer using that many although you can put a total of 64GB on a board since Corsair launched their Vengence 1600MHz RAM recently.

Although I am definitely get a LGA 2011 setup done, I will probably wait for the next stepping. Either it will be more power of the launch of an 8 core SB-E

10. the_kille4

the_kille4 Chaos will rule da world.eventually

By the way here are some images from vr-zone...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I remember seeing a EVGA board that had that 90 degree angle 24 pin connector but I cannot remember which chipset it was for.

Not many of the board's as you say are going to have 8 ram slot's but as you say gamers will only populate 4 as that is all they will need, but anyone using it for a profentional means would probably use all 8.

I am also going to be upgrading to Sandy Bridge E, but it will only be a 6 core as Intel have said there won't be a 8 core due to TDP for desktop pc's, but they will be making them for servers.
    http://wccftech.com/intel-sandy-bridgee-processors-limited-cores/

Will have to see what the cpu is that they release in the 2nd quarter of next year as that may be a 8 core but who know's it, might just be a 6 core with a stock speed of over 4.0ghz which would be rather nice and should allow some crazy overclock's.

I saw something earlier though and it was a preview on another site where they had a few MSI board's and cpu's and they were messing with overclock's, and what made me laugh was that they said they were only mildly overclocking the cpu's towards the end of the preview but earlier on they said the speed was approaching 5.0ghz, so if that is a mild overclock I wonder if these thing's are going to hit 6-7 ghz?

12. shanky887614

shanky887614 What's a Dremel?

im going to see what is better performence wise, im still on core 2 duo and really need to upgrade (well new pc most likely)

before i can play the new assassin's creed and battlefield (more bothered about assassins creed)

worked out i can build a decent pc build arround £5-600 give or take

13. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Not enough Sata 3 ports on X79, when will Intel finally catch up to AMD in regards to Sata connectors provided by Chipsets?

14. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Depends entirely on what they classify a "mild overclock" as.

It could be that they were only pushing the cpu slightly so there is plenty of headroom (as you allude to), or it could be that 5GHz is as far as they could get without spending hours playing around with the bios to try and get every last Mhz (thus meaning 5-5.2GHz is more likely the upwards threshold for "normal" overclockers).

15. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Looks good- although I'm not a fan of Gigabyte boards, I'll hold off until Asus releases their teaser pics of the upcoming X79/LGA2011 boards. But wow, 8 DIMM slots? So are we looking at 8x4GB - 32GB? Awesome. Strap a 8 core processor on there and you're flying.

The lack of SATA 3 Ports is a bit disappointing, and I am curious if Intel will still only use 2 x PCI-E 2.0 8x links for their onboard ICH RAID controller- as 600MB/sec both ways is beginning to really slow down systems where users opt for 2 or more SATA3 SSD's- and the cost of a good external RAID controller is still quite prohibitive.

But a X79 board + 6 or 8 Core Processor + 4 SATA3 SSD's in hardware RAID-10 w/ 4-6GB cache ... drool.

16. slothy89

slothy89 MicroModder

Ah... This is clearly an MSI board not gigabyte lol...

For gamers I think 1155 SandyBridge is still going to be the value for money platform. Especially on e Ivy Bridge hits.

Tags: Add Tags