1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice My first Extreme Build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by voids sleet, 21 Nov 2011.

1. voids sleet

voids sleet What's a Dremel?

i would love 8x8gb but i personally have not seen any about.

I already have a haf x sat here waiting for all the little goodies to get installed.

gaming is the main aim at the moment but i have a gotten me a canon 550d, i am going to be doing some video and photo editing with that in mind.

not to go over the top its going to be used for everything and anything you can think off from a htpc, gaming, editing and everything in the middle.

as for water cooling, that's not something i have personally done and i would not be happy with water being inside the pc, i'll always have it in the back of my head that it may break and kill the thing.

anyway when the thing gets a few years old then ill look at water :thumb:

I'm going to start looking at the revo drives, see if i want one in this ;)

2. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

What about 8 x 4GB?

A revo drive would be epic to say the least.

3. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

When it gets a few years old, you'll be looking at a new platform.

Watercooling really isn't that tricky and IMO the risk is minimal. If you build the loop properly, there's no reason for it to leak.

4. voids sleet

8x4gb is what i am planning and i am personally liking the revo i think thats going in it :naughty:

i will stick to air and i'll make the jump at some point, dont know when it will be but it will be after i get it

5. yassarikhan786

What capacity revo are you looking to get? The 960GB one by any chance :p.

6. voids sleet

bit of over kill with that one :eeek:

the Hybrid is looking tempting

7. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

When will you ever need 32GB of Ram? Cause the only benefit, is bragging rights. I'm struggling to push my system past 8GB, and I have 12GB.

1200W would be a bare minimum. If you want to overclock, I would look at the Silverstone Strider ST1500W PSU. Me and Pete J, highly recommend it.

Also, Quad SLI is not very beneficial, I would stay clear of running 2 GTX 590's, or even 4 580's as you will only gain extra points in 3Dmark, and not in many games, if any at all. TRI SLI is where you will see the best performance. Again Me and Pete J can vouch how good TRI SLI is, as we both have 3 GTX 580's.

If your planning on running 2560x1600, and want to play Crysis maxed to the hilt, I would not go for anything less than 3 GTX 580's.

Cheers,

Simon.

8. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

+1 to all of Simon's good advice, although when it comes to PSU I would personally recommend anything by Enermax, having got the the 1500w unit myself I'm very pleased with it,

and as for a system I would suggest something like this:

[​IMG]

Gave you a choice of cases, while the TJ 11 I can vouch for as being a truly brilliant case, the Xigmatek is also a excellent case and a steal for the money you pay for it, also is the RAM EXTREME ENOUGH FOR YOU? :)

9. voids sleet

ok thank's for the help guys

just a rundown of what the build is going to be..

Asus Rampage IV Extreme mobo
    Intel Core i7-3930K
    Corsair Vengeance Black 16gb (4x4GB) ram
    1500W Enermax MaxRevo PSU
    OCZ Revo Drive Hybrid 1TB

Going to go for Tri sli, i'll be going for gtx580's and i'll see what brands ect are there when i come to get them, one's with more memory and higher clocks are best on that front i think.

i am going to pair it up with something like a Noctua NH-D14 so i can oc it, like you said true_gamer going to have a hard time using 16gb of ram let alone filling the slots with 32gb, it should allow me to get a better oc aswell.

right water cooling, i'll try and talk my self into it, should be able to fit a nice loop into my system, i'll see about just the chip first, i know i suggested the Noctua NH-D14 but i'll see whats what

10. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

if your getting vengeance ram and an NH-D14 just make sure its the low profile vengeance ram otherwise you will have problems with the ram clashing with the heatsink

11. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

How much do you like tinkering with your PC? If your the type of person who just likes to set it up and have everything work until it is upgrade time a few years down the line than water cooling is not for you tbh. Watercooling is like mountain climbing. There is no need to do it but it is challenging and fun.

12. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I'd add; It's like Mountain Climbing with a pair of Rocket Boots.

You can go faster than ever before, but it's a touch crazy, and in some cases; Completely Overkill.

13. yassarikhan786

Haha, I was being facetious.

14. voids sleet

right then its decided, the water cooling is out, its a nice thunk but i don't want to be keeping it up.

15. .//TuNdRa

So you'll need one hell of a lot of fan to be able to keep that setup cool. I'm not sure if the HAF X will manage it.

I doubt even legendarily good Air-cooling cases such as the Raven RV02 could manage it, tbh.

16. voids sleet

:duh:

this is the thing thats going to do my nut in, to water cool or not to water cool, i am leaning more not to but i'm still thinking.

i dont know that much about water cooling, one of the few things i have not done with a pc.

some advice on what to water cool and how to do it would be a big plus at the moment

17. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Water cool your CPU and all your GPUs if you're going to do it. Probably in 2 separate loops. Watercooling's not really my thing so that's as far as my advice on it goes lol But I would have thought a decent air cooling setup would have coped fine with it. Obviously, watercooling will always give lower temps but I for one probably wouldn't have the patience to mess around draining and cleaning the loops every 6 months or whatever.

18. .//TuNdRa

Everything. Two seperate loops with a 120X2 each would be a good start, run GPU's on one, then Motherboard VRM's, Northbridge and CPU off the other.

Considering you'll probably get around to doing what every enthusiast I know of does, namely; sit down and overclock everything to buggery: The better cooling will certainly ease your mind as to temperature issues.

I'd advise a Xigmatek Elysium and a couple of 120x4's, if you're really determined, however. THere's more than enough room in that case to be able to route everything, and it has room for more than enough radiators to be able to keep everything cool.

I know someone did a Watercooling thread, showing a build and how to do it, but I can't find it for the life of me...

Edit; Not the one I was looking for, but still a good start: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=99891

19. Ljs

Ljs Modder

I believe it is this thread you are perhaps thinking about?

20. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Edit: Damn Ninjas :hehe: And who the hell repped me and called me a jerk at the same time? :lol:

On topic: I wouldn't watercool absolutely everything. Memory should be fine, as will your hard drives and SSDs. But good call on the VRMs and everything.