1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Shows Naruto

Discussion in 'General' started by JADS, 16 Jul 2004.

1. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

READ THIS FIRST!!!
    I should point out if you want to write something that might spoil the plot line for everyone else who hasn't seen it please you could you put spoiler as the title for your post, make the text size 1 and choose a colour which is similar to the background such as slate grey.

=========================================================

So good I've watched all 90 episodes since this time last week :) So then a bit of Naruto discussion?

EDIT: Fill this out a bit more...

For those who don't know what Naruto is I'm not going to attempt to explain it in detail because well I'd fail miserably. Basically it is a Japanese anime series that has: a good story line (that continues from ep to ep), strong characters, fantastic animation and music and quite often has spectacular fight scenes. Oh and the story focuses around Uzumaki Naruto and to a lesser extent Uchiha Sasuke and Haruno Sakura.

It also raises a few questions like...
    - What is the relationship between the Fourth and Naruto?
    - Was the second intro the best so far?
    - Best battle?
    - Best character?
    - What the heck is all that about then?

The story is quite brutual on the characters from time to time, injuries and death are not uncommon, in fact barely an episode goes by without someone getting injured! Sometimes amusingly, other times not so much.

So anyone else watched Naruto? Opinions?

Last edited: 17 Jul 2004
  2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Can we keep anime in the anime thread perhaps?

And im only on 43, so shhh :grr: must-force-myself-to-watch-more.

The episodes are dragged out like DBZ, there's far too much talking and flashbacks and too little actual fighting. The animation and music are top notch though, which actually makes it worth watching unlike DBZ. Some episodes are incredible but others make you want to turn it off there and then - i have never had this problem with any other series, especially stuff like FMA. You spend the first 5 minutes of every episode going over the last one, and between the excessive verbal and mental exchanges and ever increasing special moves that add an element of ridiculous but also coolness. Its too slow for my liking, it takes 10 episodes for a single fight to be completed early on, and the Chunin exam - the first day took half a dozen episodes then 4 days flashed in 30 seconds!?

I love the characters, i love the story but it doesnt need to be 250 episodes. I also feel sorry for Sakura whenever she gets pummelled cause she knows SFA actual combat moves compared to the lads. Naruto is great, funny and energetic and Sauske is overly serious but that's how the characters are meant to be and it kinda works. I just feel there needs to be more lightheartedness between the lack of actual fighting and excessive verbal and mental exchanges - it just seems everyone wants todo it for something; brother avenger, they've wanted to become strong (oh how many are they? and how many are ophans??), they are evil and bloodlustive, they want to protect their master... yawn.

I have faith - i will keep watching cause it apparently gets better.

The second intro is superb, i love it to bits but i also kinda like the first cause Sakura is ACTUALLY kicking ass. Ive got both first (rocks) and second (asain kung fu foundation) full tracks and they are great :D I love the bit on the second where its on just a guitar riff and they are circling the different tri-groups.

Best battle - so far when Lee faught the sound guy and pummelled him into the ground - it was quick, not overly done and made you feel like it was actually gonna hurt. I winced as his head hit the ground and went "OOoooo" :)

Fav character - dunno, i wanna say sakura cause she's cool and i love the inner sakura comedy :D but she pisses me off cause she knows FA about actual combat. Naruto cause he's superb and just goes for it - no ****, just has it out nice n fast.

Its gotta be the ANBU release too - id rather wait for theirs. Also, its only a matter of time before its lisenced, apparently quite a few companies have been in talks for a while over it so i wouldnt expect too many more episodes before you have to look harder to find your releases.

Last edited by a moderator: 16 Jul 2004
  3. JADS

Firstly no because otherwise it turns into a 20 page thread you can't find anything in and then dies because the VB code can't handle it ;) Keep discussion in this thread to Naruto please though!

43 eh? The preliminaries are around there and you're in for a treat... especially around episode 48-51. Really though Naruto keeps getting better as you get deeper into the storyline so stick with it.

The flashbacks and talking are actually important, you don't realise it till much later but without them Naruto wouldn't be as good as it is. The fights are great, but they would be shallow and pointless if there wasn't some depth to them. This continues throughout the series so settle yourself down :)

Yup the timing in Naruto is a bit weird and your best bet is to *obtain* as many episodes as you can so you can follow through a particular section to its conclusion, which can take up to 20 episodes. Normally if fights go on for a long time there is a good reason for it such as multi-dimensionality. I think if you cut Naruto down though from its huge and bulky self it would lose some of the depth that makes it such a good show, give me more episodes rather than less... Actually the best way to view them would be to use Virtual Dub to stick 20-25 episodes together in one large lump (minus retelling and intros) and then put them onto a DVD.

Sakura is extremely good at learning new moves, it is just because her stamina and chakra output is low that she cannot perform some of the higher level moves that Naruto and Sasuke regularly perform. This is also why Naruto has such a problem, he has immense amounts of Chakra, but doesn't know how to control it. See though how the story brings you into the characters? I bet you felt uncomfortable through the scene where Sakura was being pummelled in the head while Ino watched? What is really interesting is how the characters develop, at episode 43 they are completely different to what they were at the beginning and this continues throughout the story.

You know that is my favourite bit of the second intro to, its wonderfully sequenced. The other fantastic bit is the very very (2 second) short guitar riff and the throwing knife battle.

Keep watching because it really does get better and the battles get so much more impressive it is untrue.

4. apollyon

apollyon What's a Dremel?

Absolutely love this series, have every ep. that ANBU and AOne have released, a friend of mine got me addicted to it some time ago. Bindi, I definetly agree with you that it sucks that you have to spend the first five minutes of every ep. watching the end of the previous one, but when you think of it in terms of the people in japan who are usually watching these one new ep. at a time, not the 10 in a row i know we both do, then it makes a little more sense, and once you get to the point were you are waiting for the new episodes to be released each week it does make a little more sense. Your just getting into the good stuff bindi, so stick with it. And for anyone who is a fan of the series, i HIGHLY reccomend the manga, there are some very good translations available, not sure what forum rules are on posting links to shtuff like that so PM me if your interested. The manga not only gives you a heads up on what's coming in the series (currently up to chapter 224, and i've read them all :D ), it's superbly written and well drawn, though some fights can be kinda hard to follow.

5. Aa-chan

Aa-chan AA-CHAN

I also love this anime :D .

I'm not sure about the relationship between the Fourth and Naruto, but I'm guessing it's something to do with the Nine Tails and how it was sealed within him.
    Remind me again what the second intro was...:worried:
    Best battle for me was the Lee v Gaara battle in the prelims. I still watch the bit where Lee drops the weights as it's so damn cool. There are other great battles, but this is the one I'd have to vote for.
    Best character other than Naruto would be Jiraiya.

Don't want to say what it's all about yet, as I'm not 100% ;) .

6. JADS

*spoiler*

I should point out if you want to write something that might spoil the plot line for everyone else who hasn't seen it please you could you put spoiler as the title for your post, make the text size 1 and choose a colour which is similar to the background such as slate grey.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yes sir :p

Last edited by a moderator: 17 Jul 2004
  8. Aa-chan

Aa-chan AA-CHAN

You are certainly not the only one who thought it was slow. I almost gave up watching it because of the slow pace and the annoying flashbacks with Sakura and Ino. However, once the exams are over, indeed while they're still going on [;)] things start to hotten up a hell of a lot and from then on, it's pretty hectic. Episodes 85-90 have mellowed slightly, which was nice :) .

Keep watching :clap: .

9. Bentos

Bentos What's a Dremel?

being the resident naruto fan (lol) i thought id pipe-up.

fourth and naruto:
    ok, as naruto looks just like the fourth, and only a father would seal a demon inside his child (like gaara, i think), its pretty clear that the fourth is narutos dad. plus the whole rasengan thing, as jiraiya taught the fourth the same move. also it makes sense for him to be the 4ths son, otherwise narutos chances of becoming hokage would be nil, tsunade was chosen to be the 5th as she was trained by the 3rd, and is the grandaughter of the 1st. its all about heritage

2nd intro:
    it does have the best music by far, but the new intro has defo grown on me, theres more action-y bits and cool engrish bits ("we are fighting dreamers"). the new ending (ep 90+) is quite interesting, the four main girlies (sakura, inno, hinata and ten ten) being coloured in whilst in swim suits, teensy bit of fan service there. oh theres a slight change to the intro from ep 90 onwards, tis very cool.

best battle:
    in the anime either gaara Vs lee, or naruto Vs gaara (such a heart warming adrenaline flowing fight). personally though, im a bigger fan of the more technical fights, so the "genius" fighters, neji, sasuke etc.

in the manga, there are too many to choose from. i strongly suggest that if youre not reading the naruto manga atm, you should. you really really really should. and some may say it'll spoil the anime, but it doesnt, its so cool seeing the manga being recreated pretty much spot on in the anime.

best character:
    shikamaru, laziest ninja ever.
    or possibly itachi

have watched ep 91 today, very cool. everyone should watch naruto, and the biggest fight is coming up. only a few eps away. w00t!

Last edited: 21 Jul 2004
  10. JADS

Spoiler

My take on the 4th Hokage being Naruto's father...

1. Given his position and what we already know about him he simply couldn't potentially sacrifice any other child than his own. If anything the power of the 9-Tails was a gift.

2. The 4th and Naruto look very similar. This is especially true when Naruto changes into something more subtle, which is very much the 4ths style.

3. They share very similar personality traits as they are both willing to protect those around them with their lives. This is especially apparent in the battle between Naruto and Gaara, Naruto almost dies kicking the **** out of Gaara.

4. They both share massive ability even if Naruto's isn't fully realised.

5. They share several high-level techniques and Naruto seems to be even quicker to grasp them than the fourth.

6. Jiraya (the perverted hermit) just before pushing Naruto off a cliff says "No offence fourth" and looks up at his carving.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Extreme-frustration!

Naruto 45: Naruto vs Kiba.

ARGH FFS. Im not a dumb ass - i KNOW what Naruto's done, its just been told, now Sakura is telling me AGAIN and its showing me AGAIN so the whole move looses its effect. Not only that Naruto can take a beating then whip Kiba in a single kick?! I was HOPING instead of Sakura's interruption and yet another drawing-out-of-the-episode for retarded people top explain everything down to the wind speed and what colour underwear he was wearing, that he would go straight into a counter-attack and not waste time which is the WHOLE POINT in a fight. :grr: This is the kind of crap that annoys me.

EDIT: not only that but i predicted his shadow replication counter, which he did 5 minutes later after taking a beating AGAIN. That fart was funny though hehe

EDIT2: Now 46 is superb between Hinita (i love her, she's great) and Neji - uninterrupted action once they start and some useful info but not that overwhelming.

Last edited by a moderator: 18 Jul 2004
  12. MikeTitan

MikeTitan Ling Ling: 273 Battle Points

**Spoilers**

I agree with JADS Completely.

Im not for certain if its his dad or perhaps a uncle something very closely but the look and attitude of both are similar.

**semi spoiler**

Naruto learns his own type of kill move from Jiirya. (the frog dude). I have read up till 224 in the manga and it explains that it took the 4th Hokage over three years to do this. Naruto learned it in a week? Genetics? Maybe some of the 4ths power transferred into naruto when Kyuubi was sealed?

I think some flash backs are pointless however There are a few that make for a good explanations to what is happening, I also like the different Lessons you learn about when they explain about chakra and stuff.

The next 30ish episodes are gonna be fantastic. I so can't wait. The amount of fighing is increased by like alot. The enemies are meaner and stronger.

Favorite Character=Naruto
    Favorite Move=Rasengan
    Best Battle=Naruto&Gaara
    Worthless Character=Sakura (even where I am at in the manga she doesn't get better =/)
    Coolest Enemy=Itachi
    Coolest Move=Harem no Jutsu

:thumb: :thumb:

13. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Episode 91,
    I am really getting annoyed with slow episodes like this one. Yes, I understand how you need to know the background to the necklace but they didn't have to drag it out as long as they did. I'd rather have seen the background to the technique Naruto is trying to master.

I've found that www.narutofan.com is one of the best fan sites around, with both manga and episode releases kept up to date.

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That's annoying (haha bet you're getting pissed off with me saying that bout Naruto :p), just cause she's not got any tragic background (afaik) or a part of some strong clan she doesnt work to excel herself??

That Narutofan site is pretty good. :thumb:

EDIT: Naruto 48 is incredible, Lee is a god amungst men, the lotus makes me simultainiously cringe in pain and holla with happyness every time.

Last edited by a moderator: 19 Jul 2004
  15. JADS

The first wouldn't have happened without the second ;) She is important to Naruto and therefore is important to the story. I quite like her, but considering the pounding she got earlier on in the story I was expecting her to develop a bit more.

Bindibadgi two things, firstly I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes Hinata's character. I really would like them to show another fight involving Hinata because well she's got guts and some pretty darn cool fighting moves! Secondly episode 48 is secondary lotus, wait till you see primary lotus ;)

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea, yea, i saw and i love him even more. OPEN THAT CHAKARA GATE! :rock:

Best damn character. The series is picking up and im loving it again :)

17. Bentos

Bentos What's a Dremel?

my fave bit of the lee Vs gaara fight, apart from the actual fight is the discussion between kakashi and gai:

kakashi: gai, how many gates is that boy capable of opening?
    gai: five

then gai goes on to explain what the gates do, and kakashi then proceeds to reveal his (possibly stolen) sharingan. cheeky beggar!

and its not the first time kakashi has stolen the kids moves either (when fighting itachi he uses kage-bunshin, which he robbed from naruto)

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Naruto Movie Trailer

EDIT: Anyone got the 3rd End in full? The 3rd op sucks donkeys though. The final fights are superb, Naruto definately does get better you're all right :D

"sekaijuu hora waratteru sora miagete.."

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Jul 2004
  19. JADS

20. MikeTitan

MikeTitan Ling Ling: 273 Battle Points

I understand that she is important but for all regular standards. Naruto and Sauske have gotten 10 fold stronger and she's is just as physical strong and such as when she left the academy. I guess I don't like how all that she cares about is sauske and not learning new jutsu or moves... I also think Hinata is cool and believe they should add her more into the storyline.

Also bentos.. When does he use Kage Buushin no Jutsu??? Those are water clones (think zabuza) and not shadow clones like naruto's??

Also a gripe I have is its seems like they capped poor Kakashi. He doesn't seem as uber strong as he did in the firs ones they need to remedy this me thinks.

And again I state if your bored with these episodes your only gonna be bored for about 3 more episodes 94 or 96 it should start to get really interesting. Then it just gets better exponentially after this. :thumb:

Tags: