1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News NBC to offer free video downloads

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 20 Sep 2007.

1. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/09/20/nbc_to_offer_free_video_downloads/1

2. dfrangu

dfrangu What's a Dremel?

"The files will be deleted after the seven-day period. If you're wanting to take it on the road with you, well you're out of luck as the files will not be transferable."

And how are they going to make this happen? :idea:

3. FooSai

FooSai What's a Dremel?

It's free, so I don't see the problem with commercials. That's how it should be...
    Built in advertising = free
    No advertising = pay

shame about the 7 day limit, but hey! it's free, so at least it's one step in the right direction

4. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Neat idea, i can see it becomming fairly popular.

Sam

5. naokaji

naokaji whatever

nothing a stream ripper cant fix....

6. dfrangu

dfrangu What's a Dremel?

My thoughts exactly... So, in other words, it's not "free", it's "almost free" since after 7 days the file will self-destruct (LOL).

7. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

But... is there any point in doing that when the internet will already have the shows available, probably in better quality, right after they air and in standardised formats.

:duh:

8. naokaji

naokaji whatever

thats true... didnt even think of alternate sources when responding to the limitations mentioned...

9. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Yeah, but that illegal and the NBC are offering the legal way.

Its a shame we wont see it and if only Channel 4 would not charge for its timed downloads.

10. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Downloading TV as opposed to dvd rips is, i don't think quite illegal but equally not quite legal. But it comes down to the age old DRM argument, the people have shown you how they want to view TV, forcing your model isn't going to work since its not as good as the current model. Take a general TV edonkey links site, instead of making these ad less rips, make them full rips ads and all people will still download them and sit through or skip the adds. Its no different to the broadcast model except the people are paying to download your program so they must want to watch it so you can charge more for the ad space.

11. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

"don't look a gift horse in the mouth"

it would be almost perfect if it did not auto destruct...

12. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

I'm sure that it's quite possible to do; i mean there's going to be an app written to strip the container, and beside that, a little bit of editing can shoo those commercials.

13. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

I was referring to striping the download from NBC of it's DRM... which is also illegal...

It's possible to strip it of the DRM, but it's pointless to do this as for less trouble you can download a better quality version without the DRM in the first place.

Funnily enough the fact that people who want to obtain it illegally won't even bother to get it direct from NBC makes the DRM on it doubly pointless.

14. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Well technically it's against the DMCA, but why is it that downloading stuff is any more illegal than taping it off TV, oh, or better yet, changing the channel and not watching commercials is like stealing TV!

15. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

You're preaching to the choir here buddy... I was merely saying that if it's illegal to strip the drm.. then why not just download a proper video from torrent sites.

16. ChiperSoft

ChiperSoft What's a Dremel?

Basically what NBCs doing here is offering their own DVR service, minus the fastforward button I'll bet.
    It's an interesting idea, but they completely fail at understanding why people buy online. If you can't archive it, and you can't watch it on the go, why bother?

17. sheepdog

sheepdog What's a Dremel?

Pay version?

Great, then all we have to do is pay NBC, then CBS, then Fox, Napster, Rhapsody, etc... and you can watch or listen to anything you want, when you want.

Of course you will be broke and not be able to afford a computer to watch it on, but hey, it is there for you to watch what you want, when they allow you to, when the sever is up, traffic is low, your internet works, and...

18. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Here's a fantastic example of a company that just doesn't get it.

19. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

I really don't see how they "don't get it." By cutting out the middle man prices should remain around the same area that they currently are. More then likely though, we'll see a slight increase in the price of the shows from what they are right now.

The paid for episodes (that won't be available until next year) will be transferable to any device that you want. It's only the free versions that will degrade (yes degrade, they will not self delete) after seven days. If you don't like it then you're probably already downloading the shows from torrent sites or other P2P clients. I don't watch much TV mainly because I rarely have the time to sit down and watch something that is on a schedule but I rent/buy seasons of shows on DVD.

Allowing a consumer to download for free and forcing them to watch commercials to supplement the income really isn't that bad. You guys are bitching over nothing.

And to answer the question as to why companies go after downloaded TV shows so often: Seasons on DVD. It's really not that hard to understand and if you were in their shoes, you'd be trying to protect your IP as well.

20. Irvine

Irvine What's a Dremel?

Meh, I don't know what you're talking about. I'd use this service...it's especially useful (for the people that go the legal route) if I missed an episode of The Office or something, and I wanted to get caught up. Oftentimes, I end up not watching the show because I can never catch it at the right time or I get into it in the middle of the season.

Tags: Add Tags