1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nehalem and X58 show up in Taipei

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 30 May 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

ditch the legacy already (apart from PS2!!)

3. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Strange that, if the main chipset chip runs so much hotter, that there's not a crazy heatpipe configuration bolted on.. or even a fan.

And what's the deal with the heatsink in a box? Looks kooky, but if it's what to expect.. hmm!

Exciting though :)

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

I'm pretty sure the blue box is the space they have to leave around the socket (for installing 3rd party heatsinks). It'll be Intel's minimum spec for free space around the socket.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Don't read into the cooling too much it's very much a "test board" - those DrMOS power phases need cooling too I'd think. :) It's a shame I couldn't see one fired up though :( apparently the CPUs are very, very scarce on a per-company basis and are in constant use.

It was surprised at the chipset too - but it makes sense given its size (it looked significantly bigger than P45 which is 65nm too) and the tons of super-fast frequency links it has to cope with.

Yea, the big blue block is the reference motherboard manuf. (and case etc) need to adhere to to leave completely free - so capacitors and other components don't get in the way.

6. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

clever thing that :)

It would be a nice stunt to get a hold of one of those and build a pico-ITX system inside of it :D

7. naokaji

naokaji whatever

big keepout area = good, no more trouble with big aftermarket coolers, wooot.

I dont get it why they dont want to drop the legacy crap though, I mean seriously, you cant even buy devices anymore that use them for several years now (talking consumer market here, servers are a different thing, but they get different mainboards as well so it doesnt matter).

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

nice backplate :)

i hope Thermalright's Ultra 120 Extreme is just a bracket away from this new socket.

9. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

uh, triple channel memory? what's the deal with that?

10. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

hmmm to get p35 and wolfdale now or wait till nehalem and x58 are affordable

11. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

2+1?

As for legacy ports, you'll always have some prat that doesn't want to sell his Parallel-based printer. At the end of the day, if it works well, then fair enough. But if it really does work that well then buy a cheap Parallel print server, OR spend a similar amount of money on a PCI/PCI-E Parallel card.

Fortunately (in most cases, though quite the opposite here) it doesn't matter if you're a tiny minority when you're complaining to companies. "Oh noes, angry users!" :wallbash:

12. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

@Denis iii
    buy now, wait until the second generations of Nehalem and motherboards come out and some of the issues have been ironed out.
    Otherwise you'll end up stuck with another Socket 754 (the first gen of Athlon64's which were pretty soon superseded by 939), and trust me, that's annoying.

13. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

ya I agree with MSI, they should drop at least the floppy seeing how you can use USB floppy drives, I also think the ps2 ports should be dropped as well, I think IDE should probably stick around a little longer maybe just one of then even though I havent used it in a few years.

14. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

Ditch parallel, floppy, but keep PS2 ports

15. Multiplectic

Multiplectic His Stigness

Me too. It would be a shame to ditch a perfectly capable HS because Intel changed the mounting holes' distance.

Tim, are you sure the mounting is different? :(

16. virtualrain

virtualrain What's a Dremel?

Great early look at the Nehalem platform!

They need a third color of DIMM slot for the third channel... Right now it looks like dual channel with three slots per channel rather than the other way around.

Also, aren't the extra 4x PCIe lanes in the X58 used for the link to the ICH10 SB? Traditionally, the DMI link from NB to SB is 4x PCIe... More info on Nehalem and X58 here... http://www.nehalemnews.com/2008/04/nehalem-faq.html

17. Vigilante

Vigilante What's a Dremel?

"MSI also includes six memory slots because the CPU has triple channel DDR3, and exclusively DDR3, so you’ll have to buy at least three DIMMs to make the most of the new upper-tier Intel platform."

I think you'll find that's because it is. Except It's not dual channel with three sticks, it's triple channel. It's the performance advantage DDR3 has been needing to ensure uptake, now if only it drops to semi-decent levels. It doesn't need to be awesomely cheap considering the performance advantage triple channel memory would have over dual channel, since enthusiasts would be more than willing to pay a price premium.

18. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

Windows Vista doesnt have a floppy drive standard in the OS does it? If I remember it doesn't so drop it since even M$ dropped it.

19. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

This may be a bit retro, but triple channel can be a good thing for 32-bit Windows users, as you can put 3 Gb of RAM on the system, instead of 2 or 4 Gb.

20. bowman

bowman Minimodder

32bit OS and Nehalem is like a black-and-white 1080p television.

Really, 64bit Vista is mature now. Time to let go.

Tags: Add Tags