1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress NES 3.0 -nintendo pc build (Finished Build)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by 8-BiT, 26 Nov 2014.

1. 8-BiT

8-BiT What's a Dremel?

Time for my next update , So I wanted to try something out with the controller ports since it is all most 2015 who uses wires any more for a HTPC,so the controller ports had to go!The piece I made is going to painted to match my accent color.( the current piece is still only rough product not an end result yet).so finally the day after i made this piece it was HOT engough outside so i to advantage of this and sanded the console up with some 400grit paper and hit it two time with XIM plastic bonding primer as I was very eager to see and show everyone else what I have been working towards with the bottom of this case .hope you all like. :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    one pic for reference
    [​IMG]

2. silk186

silk186 Derp

It's looking very good. Will you use a wired or wireless controller?
    What are your plans with connectivity?

3. 8-BiT

8-BiT What's a Dremel?

fully wireless,xbox 360 controllers for modern pc games.going to disassemble a xbox controller module and wire it to the reset button for sync purpose's ,other than that a small wireless keyboard/mouse in one like the size of a tv remote. my motherboard has bluetooth and wifi built in so I'm good on that note. and some wii controllers for old school games!

Last edited: 3 Dec 2014
  4. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

Awesome progress! As a fellow NES PC builder I love to see other builds. I'm actually itching to do another build now that it's been a few years.

5. silk186

silk186 Derp

Very clean build, sounds like you will only have a power and video out cable like the original. I just read that you can use the 360 receiver with a one controller .

"As of 5 June 2014, the Xbox One Wireless Controller can work with your PC if you download one of the following driver packages:"

6. 8-BiT

8-BiT What's a Dremel?

re-doing the button panel.this part of the project was the hardest and most tedious part of the build as i had to have exact measurements and dealing with very small parts and epoxy.I put this part of the project on the back burner as I knew it was going to be a pain, and planed out many ways of doing it until i thought of this one.after all my hard brainstorming and building i was very happy how it turned out.

new panel
    [​IMG]
    testing the switches out
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    letting epoxy dry
    [​IMG]
    while I was letting that dry ,wired up my LED
    [​IMG]
    after epoxy dried
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    old pcb for reference
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 4 Dec 2014
  7. 8-BiT

8-BiT What's a Dremel?

Ok big news, last Friday I ordered my gpu,and on Monday my this tiny box was waiting for me when I got home.Inside was my new msi gtx 750 LP, and my G.skill sniper ram 1866mhz cas 9 I down clocked it a bit and undervolted it to 1.25v an 1600mhz still on cas9 might try cas 8 or 7 soon seem like a very stable set of ram.

So I installed my gpu and ran valley bench to stress the gpu and make sure my pico 160xt can handle the full load. after all said and done my new idle wattage was 35w and full load on cpu and gpu system topped out at 115w not bad for a low-med gaming rig stuffed in a NES.

next day after this I tried out titanfall for a couple of hours played awesome at 1080p max gpu temp was 58c and 53c for my cpu.

I just have to mod the top half of the case a small bit to get the lid to close,but it will close with the gpu insatlled with out the need of a riser card and my gpu in some awkward position in the case.I am soo happy that I don't need a riser ,as I have spent many hours figuring out this build and it nice to see it pay off!

enjoy the pics!

P.S. so now this thread is up to date!woohoo

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    my work bench*I wonder if my wife likes that in the kitchen for the last mount???*
    [​IMG]
    motherboard ,fans and ram installed
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    size comparison* I know I should not put it on the static bag*
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    the next 2 pics show my clearance of the gpu to the case
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    first power up with gpu
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

Looking good so far :)

9. silk186

silk186 Derp

It looks great, glad everything fits.

10. 8-BiT

8-BiT What's a Dremel?

thanks!

11. 8-BiT

8-BiT What's a Dremel?

all right done modding the top case now closes the way it should! so happy i dont have to use a riser card on this build.

also made a mock up top case to test vent locations and thermals ,as I don't want to be messing up the real shell.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

haha
    [​IMG]

12. 8-BiT

8-BiT What's a Dremel?

thanks

13. d_stilgar

Your kill-a-watt shows 400+W, so here' s my big question, the one I always have when trying to part out a gaming NES. What PSU are you using and where did you get it?

14. 8-BiT

8-BiT What's a Dremel?

It shows 42.3w

My PSU is a pico-psu 160xt

Under full GPU/CPU stress 120w max and while gaming average is about 80w. I keep the kill a watt hooked all the time until done.

15. d_stilgar

That makes much more sense. I didn't realize the low profile 750Ti was so power efficient. Maybe it's time I did another NES build. This time . . . liquid cooled! Keep up the awesome work.:rock:

16. 8-BiT

8-BiT What's a Dremel?

Thanks!

received my new cpu cooler today.of coarse I wait two weeks for this thing and it is the wrong color ,sopose to be black. dropped my temps at load 6c maybe if I am lucky I'll gain get another degree or two when the tim cures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

It's looking good chap, how are you planning on powering it?

J.

18. 8-BiT

8-BiT What's a Dremel?

Thanks!

look right next to the ram ,see the wires coming out that is my psu .it is a pico psu 160xt,160w psu powered from a laptop power brick.

19. 8-BiT

8-BiT What's a Dremel?

well it been a little bit since I updated ,been busy with holidays/birthdays ect..

well my pico could not handle full gpu boost @1300mhz with the cpu OC'd to 4.0ghz would get instant shutdowns in demanding games .I all ready ordered a HDplex 250w psu should be here tuesday.Also have a new HDD a 1tb 7200 rpm travel star,pretty fast for a mechanical HD

Right now I have a full size psu hooked up and all I can say this guy is a very decent gaming machine.gpu boost max's out at about little over 1300mhz still have the cpu at 4.0ghz but want to get it a little higher,won't push it until i can test thermals with the lid on.

After seeing what this guy could do fully cranked up I decided to make some vents for the gpu,hope every one likes! ohh yeah also resurfaced my cpu cooler ,just a garbage surfacing job from the factory.
    measurements done for vents
    [​IMG]

pilot holes drilled
    [​IMG]
    1 inch and 3/4 inch holes drilled
    [​IMG]
    plastic removed
    [​IMG]
    carefully sanded down the rest with a straight edge clamped on
    [​IMG]
    holes fore vents done beside hand sanding
    [​IMG]
    hand sanding done (could not get the camera to focus)
    [​IMG]
    vents all clamped in letting epoxy dry
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    end results
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cpu cooler before
    [​IMG]
    after
    [​IMG]

new psu on its way!
    [​IMG]

sorry for all the pics lol

Last edited: 11 Jan 2015
  20. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Really nice looking little build that, looking forward to seeing more of it :)