1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks network cables cat5 cat5e cat6

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Cus_de_Sparta65, 4 Jan 2013.

1. Cus_de_Sparta65

Cus_de_Sparta65 "There is no dremel"

Hey guys, trying to hook up a new PC to my router via a wired connection. The router is working great with all my wireless devices but trying to set it up with a cable I am getting a "can;t find network adapter" message! I am not sure if I need drivers or not but the problem there is it is a Virgin Media Super Hub (yeah sure Richard!) and I think the drivers are downloaded automatically thru firmware updates. I am loathe to call their tech-support as trying to get a wee Indian guy to understand a thick Glasgow accent is extremely frustrating and soul destroying:wallbash: LOL

I have a few ethernet cables, cat5 and cat5e I think they are. I have tried them all but getting the same message. When I plug them in, some get a green light next to the network port and some get a orange light, which color should it be when connected properly?I don't think the two problems are connected but thought I would ask since I'm here.

Thanks, Cus:thumb:

2. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

you network cards drivers may not be installed or may have been disabled.

open the device manager (windows key + pause/break or just type device manager in the search box)

look for network adapter and if any have a red cross or a downward pointing arrow over them right click and enable them

(saying all that above I have just checked my own and the reg light goes off when they're disabled

you should use the cable that give the red light thats means is a gigabit connection.

Last edited: 4 Jan 2013
  3. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

As above, if it's missing a driver it will be listed as an 'Other Device" in device manager. Just download it on another computer or use the setup disc for your board.

Oh and off topic, the orange/green light you see will depend on cable used from the Superhub. If you're using standard CAT5 then you will see a green light (10/100Mbps). If you use CAT5E or above you will see an orange light (1 Gbps).

Cus_de_Sparta65 likes this.
  4. Cus_de_Sparta65

Cus_de_Sparta65 "There is no dremel"

Thanks guys, up and running now. like you said I just had to get the drivers from the disc. I usually like to get the latest drivers from the company web site but I had no way way to save them on my laptop and then transfer them to here as my flash drive is kapooted.

I do have a card reader but I am not sure where to plug it in to the Mobo

5. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

+Rep you lovely man I didn't know this shortcut and it's a goodie.

6. Nanosec

Nanosec absit iniuria verbis

have some more Rep.....I was also unaware of that lovely shortcut !!

7. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Really? That's like not knowing how to open the run command with the Windows key and R! It's one of the first things I learned when I started repairing PCs :)