1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New build - seeking advice and opinions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silsil, 7 Jan 2010.

1. silsil

silsil What's a Dremel?

Hello everyone,
    I'm looking at putting together a new gaming computer. Here is what I've come up with so far:

Motherboard: EVGA X58 SLI LE Motherboard

Graphics card: Sapphire Radeon HD5870 / PowerColor Radeon HD5870

Power supply unit: Corsair HX-750 Power Supply

Case: Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P50

RAM: Corsair Dominator GT PC3-12800 C7 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3

HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB

CPU: Intel Core i7 920

CPU cooler: Titan Fenrir

CD/DVD: any

I have several questions for those of you who are kind enough and have the time to answer.

Firstly, will the motherboard fit into the case I have selected? A Youtube commenter claimed that it would but more reliable confirmation would be nice. The motherboard supports ATX and M-ATX... I personally do not know what this means, lol.

Also, with regards to graphics cards, does the "maker" (unsure of official lingo, but I mean Sapphire vs. Powercolour, for example) make a lot of difference? From what I've read it seems bit-tech likes Sapphire products, but I cannot find them in stock and have found a Powercolour in stock. So I am wondering if I should wait or grab one now.

Any other suggestions are welcomed! Please let me know if I've made glaringly bad choices, or forgotten something altogether.

Thanking you in advance :)!

2. LithiumDesign

LithiumDesign 3dsMax User

I may need back up on this one but you might want to wait until Nvidia bring out their answer to ATI's 5xxx series. If not go for Sapphire, the reason they are out of stock is because they are popular. The board will fit fine in the case, as the case supports m-atx - larger than the standard atx board as well as atx boards.
    Have you got an operating system, monitor and keyboard/mouse ?

3. silsil

silsil What's a Dremel?

Ah yes I knew I would forget something. I am planning on using Windows 7 Home Premium as my OS.
    This also reminds me of another question I had; with windows vista, I know that you needed the 64-bit version to run over 4 (or 3?) gb of RAM. Is the same true for Windows 7? Will I need the 64-bit version to fully use my 6gb of RAM?

I have keyboard, mouse and screen from previous computers :).

Thanks for your time Mystiik.

4. LithiumDesign

LithiumDesign 3dsMax User

Yes to get the full use of all of your RAM you will need the 64-bit version.
    Looks like you'er all set then :)
    No problem :p

If I was you I would wait for a few more opinions.

5. Fazed

Fazed Minimodder

I'd be inclined to think it's actually more to do with a lack of supply, rather than demand.

Incidentally, nVidia Fermi cards now delayed until March.

Yes, exactly the same principles apply, you'll need 64bit.

As for the different board manufacturers, basically, the differences will be price, what gets bundled in the box, warranty and whether or not the card comes pre-overclocked. Some also get fitted with an higher spec cooler.

EDIT: Other than that, a nice solid build.

Are you planning to seriously overclock? If not, you could drop the Dominators, get yourself some XMS3 1600mhz and save a little money there.

6. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

atx form factor is the standard size of a motherboard, matx or µatx (microatx) is slightly smaller. wiki article
    anything that fits ATX fits µATX too.

for manufacturer; go with the one you like most. sapphire has a slight advantage in coolers; its famous vaporXchamberkantanawieldinglasereyedbearsridingwhatever coolers are usually more silent than the competition

nice build. yes you need 64bit win7 to be able to adress more than 3.2gb RAM

7. Fazed

Fazed Minimodder

Got a link for that card? :D

8. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

You may want to consider that the i7 920 is been replaced by the i7 930 in feb which has a faster clock speed @2.8 and will be around the same price ,Also may be the 32nm which would be cooler running than the 920

Last edited: 7 Jan 2010
  9. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

This is a kicker in my opinion. I'm looking at roughly the same build as SilSil. I don't want to wait, but maybe it's the better option. The additional problem that then Fermi is "only a month" later, so tempted to wait for that.

Ah, the eternal pain with PC ownership, you can wait forever waiting for the new things :)

10. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

no, unfortunately i do not find any ebuyer having it in stock:grr:, but i think i got a picture of it somewere... ah, here it is:

[​IMG]

silsil, i am sorry to hijack your thread like this, but there was an overwhelming urge.

11. silsil

silsil What's a Dremel?

It is quite alright alpaca, that is a truly impressive card... unfortunately, I do not think a bear and sword would fit in my proposed case :(

"...Also may be the 32nm which would be cooler running than the 920."

I'm not sure I understand this. Is it this "D0 stepping" that I have seen talked about with relation to the 920? Could someone explain D0, if they have the time please?

Thanks everyone! :D

Edit: Oh, Fazed - I have never overclocked before, so if I were to attempt any it wouldn't be very serious I wouldn't think. Thanks for your advice :]

12. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

32nm is a measurement of distance. In effect it's the precision with which the processor is manufactured. The greater the precision of the manufacturing process, the more efficient the processor is. The smaller the distance (45>32nm) the more precise, and the more efficient. That expresses itself as lower power consumption, and therefore lower thermal output.

D0 is by contrast a 'stepping' of the processor, which is a slight revision of design; bug fixes and minor alterations. The original stepping of the 920 was the G0, I think, followed by the C0 and then the D0. The more advanced the stepping, the more revisions and the more refined the processor is; hence the D0 is the most efficient and therefore most overclockable 920.

So, when the above discusses a 32nm processor, they're actually talking about a new and different processor, the 930, manufactured in a 32nm process instead of the 920's 45nm process. That means it should be more efficient and run cooler. By contrast, the D0 is merely the newest 920 revision (and probably the last revision).

Incidentally the 920 is stupendously easy to overclock, especially when paired with a good motherboard. :thumb:

Last edited: 8 Jan 2010
  13. Sh0cKeR

Sh0cKeR a=2(s-ut)/t²

The easiest way to do an overclock for a beginner, is to simply change the Base clock setting in the BIOS to 160 from 133. Everything can be left the same bar the RAM ratio and you'll have a nice little boost in frequency. About your build, you could save quite a bit of dosh by buying a normal dominator RAM kit rather than the GT as it doesn't really offer anything else other than a slightly higher frequency.Your motherboard choice is questionable, as unless your going to be buying two or more Nvidia cards for SLI, theres not much point opting for that when the Asus P6TD or the Deluxe version would suit you better. As for your last question the D0 part refers to the revision of the 920 where the D0 offers greater overclockability, lower temperatures aswell as greater efficiency with general number crunching over the original C0. The 930 coming out will be quicker at stock settings while hopefully being even better than the 920 clock for clock and temperature wise.

14. silsil

silsil What's a Dremel?

Thankyou everyone for all your input, I am finding this very helpful!

So, are all i7 920's being sold at the moment D0? Or do I need to search around for one? (The website I'm looking at doesn't seem to indicate)

Thanks!!

15. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

It will probably be a D0, but send them an e-mail to check, it's definitely worth knowing for sure.