1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Orleans = Screwed

Discussion in 'Serious' started by RotoSequence, 28 Aug 2005.

1. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

2. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Due to the outer bands of Hurricane Rita, the levees protecting New Orleans 9th Ward may be breached, again.

Link

Looks like New Orleans isn't quite out of the woods yet. Fortunately, they were already evacuated this time.

-monkey

3. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

This is getting insane. If I lived down there I don't think I'd ever go back.

4. sk8phreak88

sk8phreak88 Minimodder

Yeah, I dont think I'd want to go back tbh!

You guys hear what one of the mayors down there said?

Something along the lines of this:
    "For all you citizens that have decided to stay, please write you social security number on your arm with a permanent marker so we can easily identify you after the storm"

Now that to me, is one hell of a statement. And I find it truthfull, for the guys that are staying down there, you were warned! BUT for the people that couldn't leave I just plain feel sorry for you guys!

5. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Yea, a lot of people are doing things like that - some are writing their names and address on their chest. The mayor of Galviston said durring a press conference that if you stay, you're completely on your own.

6. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

At this point, anyone that stays deserves whatever they get, imho. Not only have they been warned twice, but they saw firsthand the effects of what happens when you stay. If they make the same decision again, I have no sympathy for them whatsoever. Now, with regards to the people who are stuck and have no way to leave, are they doing anything to help them this time? Hopefully, they're deploying buses/helicopters/anything they can get their hands on, to get those poor (not just monetarily) people out of there.

7. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Report just came on the news that a locust system is moving in from the west, and a plague of frogs is developing in the souther Gulf of Mexico, moving north at 25 mph.

What was that I read on here recently about the world ending in 2012?
    :hehe:

-monkey

8. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Yes. Hundreds of school buses along with municipal and private buses are transporting the people who want to leave plus they are airlifting others who for whatever reason can't take the bus (severly handicaped, hospital patients, etc). There were a LOT of lessons learned with Katrina and no one is making the same mistakes that were made then.

9. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Indeed. The newscasters said that there were close to 2 million people who evacuated in just 2 days. I work with a lady whose father is one of the transportation chiefs for the Pearland Independent School District. He had planned to evacuate with his family, but he ended up having to stay for a while longer to help organize the buses/drive people.

Of course, the media is jumping all over this story. I don't mean to make light of that situation, but the reports were almost comical. At first they jumped in with breaking news that a bus was in an accident. Then the bus was in flames, but everyone got out alive. Then they said that about 20 people died. It went on from there.

-monkey

10. Migishu

Migishu What's a Dremel?

According to what I heard (heresay Cheesecake), they're about to get screwed again (as Rita turned towards LO instead of going to TX, is that true?)

11. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

It's going to get really close to New Orleans... Of course, it's 400 miles wide, so it'll dump rain everywhere from Houston to New Orleans. To get an idea of how big this thing is, look here:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at3+shtml/025727.shtml?swath

Everything in yellow is where there were (or are) tropical storm strength winds (> 39 MPH). Everything in red is where there were (or are) hurricane force winds ( > 74 MPH).

While Rita hasn't gotten close enough to do wind damage to New Orleans, she's dumped enough rain there to break through the levees, both where they had broken before, and in several new spots. New Orleans is flooding, again. Earlier this afternoon, it was reported that the water in some areas of the city was rising at 3 inches a minute.