1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News New version of Android to feature Flash, tethering

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 14 May 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Nice. Running 2.1 on my Samsung Galaxy Spica and I'm more than happy with it. But faster + tethering... I'll definitely take that.

3. Mraedis

Mraedis Minimodder

Curious, considering this version is way faster than the previous one, will it come for older hardware, like the HTC Dream?

4. oatey4519

oatey4519 can't be arsed...

nice... look forward to updating my HTC Desire - and its quick and effective already.
    iphone you'd better look out.

5. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

Android's biggest failing ......

Updates are not readily made available to H/W which is capable of using them. eg. HTC Hero.

A lot of companys are building UI layers on top of Android like HTC and their Sense UI. This means you have to wait for HTC to release a custom version of Android 2.1 or 2.2 with Sense for your phone on your network.

And sometimes they just dont bother.

My HTC Hero is still on Android 1.5. HTC didnt bother with 1.6 or 2.0 and even now 2.1 is not available for it unless you want to jailbreak/root your phone and install a 2.1 version of Android yourself... doable, but not everyone wants to risk this.

I guess if you want to be guaranteed the quickest Android updates then invest in a Nexus One. Vanilla Android, straight from Google... will be the first to get the updates.

Compare and contrast with Apple who support their phones superbly from an update perspective.

As for me.... this HTC Hero is gonna be the last Android phone I ever own. It was not ready for prime time when I bought and I was duped into buying it (Bluetooth is a joke on this phone for example).

6. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I wonder how long it'll take HTC to get this on the Hero.

As for tethering, i just plug in the usb cable and off it goes no issues. Just don't tell Orange.

@Lewchenko: I don't think bluetooth on the iPhone is all that either tbh. Can't say i've ever noticed weakness in the bluetooth on android but then i don't really have need for it.

7. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

now maybe someone with an android can explain this too me, but can older handsets which shipped with 1.6 be upgraded to anything higher?

EDIT:: lewchenko answerd the question and i didnt notice it before i posted.
    Still a bit of a bummer for those who WANT HTC's shiney but also want the android updates. Of course HTC has a reason for not giving updates on older phones..... money.

i think maybe a rooted Android (or pure-breed google) is the best way to go with android.

8. BlackMage23

BlackMage23 RPG Loving Freak

The updates look great on paper but as has been said it only works if companies release the update (I'm looking at you HTC).
    I got fed up with HTC always putting the release back for the Hero and just rooted it in the end.
    I'll be happy to try another Android phone again after the Hero falls apart (I keep my phone for a long time), but will not get a HTC phone.

9. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

I got the Nexus one so I expect a very fast update. In saying that I really hope google leans on manufactures to get this out for each and every handset ASAP. I will certainly enjoy the speed boost but not as much as my sisters will with their Motorola Dext and HTC magic.

10. Kasius

Kasius Bringin' the dremolition

I remember reading somewhere (a while ago now) that o2 users using unauthorised tethering (ie. without the expensive o2 bolt on) on their iPhones were having their handsets "blocked". If there was "free" tethering on phones using Android that would be a major deciding factor for me over buying an iphone when the 4g finally hits the shelves.

11. Leitchy

Leitchy Minimodder

From the XDA forums, they suggest it will not be available for the Hero and other older HTC devices due to the need for HTC to leek a new kernel for Android 2.2, which probably won't happen as HTC won't develop 2.2 for there older devices.

So looks for us HERO owners, 2.1 is the best we'll get for now - which is no bad thing after rooting and flashing the 2.1 rom on - works great!

12. Leitchy

Leitchy Minimodder

What, a company that holds back updates to make them 'features' for there new iteration phones? Comon now!

13. LJF

LJF Modded

I have a Motorola Milestone which, like the the Nexus one, runs a completely vanilla Android OS. Moto finally released the over the air update to 2.1 last week - Even though 2.1 has been available on the Nexus One since its release in the US at the end of 2009! Its not just HTC users that have to wait.

I'm sure there's plenty of reasons to justify the delay but the frustrating thing is that there are still bugs in it. They're being whinged about at length in the Moto Support forum. I, fortunately, am only experiencing one bug in that my phone no longer vibrates when I receive a text message! (incoming calls, it's fine).
    I don't suppose anyone else is having the same problem?

I'll patiently wait for 2.2 as I did with the other updates but I hope it comes sooner, rather than later. It sounds like a seriously decent update.

14. Fizzl

Fizzl What's a Dremel?

Why wait?

One thing I loved about WinMo phones and now Android phones is there isn't a lot stopping you from rooting the phone and building your own version of the OS ahead of the network releases.
    As for the UI, yeah the defualt one is somewhat pants but there are some good free products out there like sweeterhome that give you overlays, higher resolutions, buttons, more screens, more spaces within the screen etc.. and it can all be done from the device.

In fact... Bit-Tech/CPC time for a guide to custom building your phone? Some of the newer smart phones are basically small laptops by now.

15. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

True, but then they only really have one hardware platform to support, and that's their own. Plus, aside from small bug fixes and things, real improvements only come once a year.

I don't think Google can be blamed for the speed with which HTC and other 3rd parties roll out the updates. If you want the latest and greatest immediately then get the Nexus One, simples.
    Alternatively, root your phone and stick whatever ROM you want on there.

I currently have an iPhone and as soon as the contract runs out I'll probably jump ship (although the 4G leak did reignite my interest in the iPhone).

16. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Tethering was present in Symbian ages ago. Impressive? No, slow, rather.

17. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

i'd be an android user if htc hurrys up and starts selling the htc incredible in the UK
    seems to only be avialable from sprint in usa

18. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Nice. I mean, tethering has worked in other OSes for ages but still good news.

OTOH, a strict 500MB limit? It is very easy to get through that much!
    If you are going to limit it, 1GB would be far more reasonable.

19. Leitchy

Leitchy Minimodder

That's what I thought when I got my HTC Hero and 500mb a month on Orange, and the only time I go near the limit is when watching bbc iplayer on the move. Think the key thing responsible for this is I have wifi everywhere and plan ahead downloading podcasts or caching google map data so when I do connect to 3g, it tends to be for latest news and updates via Opera Mini or Facebook updates.

20. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Interesting. I seem to get through more than that, though I haven't had my Milestone for all that long.

I do use it on 3G most of the time though, and I am trusting a meter that I assume isn't wrong ;)

edit: oh, and I did manage to get over 500MB on my old phone once too. That was a painful experience, O2 didn't just stop me getting data, they started charging me £3/MB. And I hadn't realised.

Tags: Add Tags