1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays NO display on screen

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by greshoff, 27 Apr 2011.

1. greshoff

greshoff Minimodder

My wife's computer was working fine yesterday. When it was started up this morning there was no display on the screen or beep on starting. Fans are on as is the power light. Any ideas on what might be the issue. I have reseated the graphics card and ram.

Thanks for any advice

2. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

When you say no beep on start-up am I right in assuming you mean no error reporting beep codes and the PC is starting up normally without error? Or are you expecting a beep?

I'm going to also assume you've checked things like power to the display and connection to the graphics card...

To rule out a problem with the PC itself try another monitor (one you know works) to see if the problem persists, if it doesn't you know the issue is with your wife's monitor.

You said there's nothing on the screen. Is there no sign of life at all? What type of display is it?

If the screen is an LCD and the computer appears to be running normally it could be the back light that's gone. Confirm this by turning on the computer and angling the screen or shining a light on it to see if you can make out anything. If it's working but with no backlight you should make out your desktop.

Post back with more info when you have it.

3. greshoff

greshoff Minimodder

Thanks for the reply. Issue identified as a bad stick of memory. Issue now resolved