1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows No Save/Save As/Open dialogue box showing.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by dullonien, 2 Jul 2012.

1. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

This may be a long shot due to me using the Release Preview of Windows 8, but basically some of my programs have stopped showing the dialogue box for Save, Save As or Open. This happens in Office 2010, Firefox 14.0 and Adobe Acrobat X Pro, however other programs I have installed including Photoshop CS6, AutoCAD 2012 and 3ds Max 2013 all work without issue.

I have considered that the dialogue box may be off screen, and tried pressing Alt+Spacebar -> Move and using the arrow keys to move, but this just moves the program window. It really is ad if I haven't pressed Save/Save As or Open at all. Very odd.

I've also tried recovering Office, but the fact that this issue is happening across multiple programs, one of which I only installed the other day due to not being able to save in Word (tried to save a guide from a website in Acrobat instead), then it appears to be a Windows issue.

I've done a full virus and spyware scan using Defender and Malwarebytes, but both are clean.

Finally, I've tried creating a new user profile, but the same issues there. Unfortunately I'm not sure I can use system restore, because I know the issue has been present for a while in firefox, but I put off looking for a solution due to uni work, and didn't realise it affected other programs as well.

This might just be side effect of using a Release Preview version of Windows, and maybe a full OS re-install is the only option, but thought I'd check here first.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I don't know about the other programs you mentioned that shows the open/save dialog box. But in PhotoShop, they use a custom one. Not Windows official one. All I can think is that one of the system files that manages this is corrupted. Bad download, or bad install. I'll soo go on Win8, and conform if it works or not on my side.

3. dullonien

It's possible that its programs with custom open/save dialogue boxes that still work, and any one using the default windows one doesn't work. However, one program that still works is Internet Explorer 10, and I'd expect that to use the default windows one.

It worked fine for a long time, and I didn't install or uninstall anything, I just started noticing that I couldn't save links from firefox. Thinking it might have been a busted install of firefox and the fact that I was severely busy with uni work (all AutoCAD, 3ds Max and Photoshop based stuff), I just got around it by using IE to download any files I needed. I used Word to write my dissertation not too long ago, on the same install of W8 without any problems, but using it again a few days ago, and bam, the same issue as ff.

4. GoodBytes

Confirmed that in Firefox 13, the Open/Save dialog box works perfectly, same in IE, WebMatrix 2, and Visual Studio 2010, under Windows 8.

5. dullonien

Cheers GoodBytes.

In the middle of backing everything up (only some recent uni work, as everything else is saved on my server), then I'll do a fresh install I think.

If this is some sort of fault in Windows 8, hopefully it'll be solved by release.

6. GoodBytes

Hopefully, yes.