1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nokia developing the never-charge handset

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 19 Jun 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

next step: wifi-powered netbooks?

3. robyholmes

robyholmes I'm under your desk...

Does this not decease the signal? Surly the power has to be taken from somewhere, so the signal its feeding on with be reduced?

4. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

er - thread title fail?
    you guys realise that humanity's first, tentative steps into the crazy and amazing world of wireless power have already begun?

the future, guys. it's totally happening.

5. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

My understanding is that its really using power which would other wise have dissipated or been absorbed into the environment. You would have to have your antenna in the shadow of the phone to notice any drop in signal strength.

If i'm correct you'd need to think of this like a solar array. The same amount of radiation is emitted and no amount of solar panels will make the sun "use more power" but if your standing under a solar panel it would be dark and there would be little or no energy behind the panel but beside the panel there is the same amount of energy as is hitting the panel. Of course this is a little simple since radio waves "bend" more readily than light waves.

6. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

This relies on enough 'radiation' being around, which is obviously reliable in most areas but still tiny amount to power an entire phone (as aposed to a proper power source wireless charger)

7. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

Even if you can't get a phone to never need charging, anything that extends the battery life is good. If this can be coupled with a wireless charging pad style thing for more rapid charging (like electric toothbrush chargers that don't require metal to metal contact) then charging lots of devices off one pad on your desk is definitely the way forward. It also opens up being able to have completely sealed phones which are robust to complete submersion which will be nice for those of us who do extreme sports!

Another thing would be to use a kinetic generator much like kinetic watches, I guess the current implementations don't generate much power, however add several of these small current generating devices together and it won't be long before even power thirsty smartphones won't need charging.

8. harveypooka

harveypooka Fond of rumpots and crackpots

9. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

The Pre has such a charger :p (Contact)

10. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Surely the title should be "Nokia developing the ever-charging handset"? :p

11. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

as long as it doesn't look like that phone in the article

12. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

That's probably the type of phone you'd have to have to draw only 20mW...

I'm sure it would interfere anyway, regardless of whether it only draws 'spare' radiowaves from the air, there's no way it would be able to tell, so if it truly absorbed these waves, there would likely be massive interference? Or am I seriously dumbing it down? :eek:

13. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

So will my tin foil hat protect me or channel this brain frying energy into my head?

14. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

well think like a crystal radio- it's free power.. there is small power there if they can use it to trickle charge the battery.. just wonder if it will be necessary with advances in battery life- I imagine if the phone is efficient enough and could recharge fully overnight.. that would be pretty slick- next best thing to superconductors I guess.. I want a phone that doubles as a fast mass storage device 1tb+ using bluetooth along with gps and all the other goodies.. it's coming someday

15. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

if you use the phone in a public place, wont you be 'shadowing' most of the spectrum? shadowing other people's phones, rifd tags, bluethoot, wifi,.... if it is one phone, i assume there is not really a problem. but take a 500 people? in an airport, a shopping mall, a rock concert?

16. cebla

cebla What's a Dremel?

I think you will find that it does degrade the signal. There was a case I remember where a guy was near a TV transmitter and he was using it to power his house. They found him because people complained that about 5:50 when he got home from work and started turning things on their TV signal go very bad.

I think that steveo_mcg is probably correct in that it's only in the shadow of the phone that would be affected, but you have to remember that most of these signals rely on bouncing off of things to get everywhere. So the signals that are absorbed by the phone won't be bouncing around to somewhere else which means that if everyone started using these phones we would have some problems.

This is all off the top of my head and I am quite willing to believe that I am wrong about some of that, but it's my understanding at this current point in time.

17. dr-strangelove

dr-strangelove What's a Dremel?

Could you set it up to automatically absorb incoming calls from annoying call centres?

18. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Sorry to resurrect a zombie, but I couldn't resist.

Your mobile phone's antenna absorbs lots of radio-waves. It picks up all signals in the proper frequency range just to see if they were meant for it. Most of them aren't and the energy is simply wasted. A radio signal consists of data signal and a carrier wave. Even on important signals, most of the signal and the carrier wave is just dissipated into heat.

19. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

Tesla was robbed!

Tags: Add Tags