1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Nvidia 8400mGS TV out issues

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Montyburns, 9 Apr 2009.

1. Montyburns

Montyburns What's a Dremel?

Hey all,

I'm having problems getting S-Video to work. I've given the issue a thorough googling, and whilst it seems many people have the same or similar problem, none of the suggested work arounds/fixes work.

Basically, im trying to hook up my computer to a normal, old school CRT SD tele, using the s-vid out on my laptop, to the standard s-vid on on the TV. Not an entirely difficult excersise you would think, eh?

Well, you'd be wrong :) . Because, despite being entirely technically competent, and despite doing the same thing with numerous computers to this exact same TV numerous times, I cant get this one to work. It connects fine, the nvidia control panel detects the TV, but when i hit 'apply' all that happens is:
    Brief < 1 second glimpse of my wallpaper on the TV
    All desktops flash
    Then back to nothing on the tele.

Which is a pain in ze arse. Because it means that the cable and the tele and the TV out all work (ish), but i just cant get them to play nicely together.

Any ideas anyone? I'm assuming i'm not gonna be the only one here who's had this problem, and that some smart ******* has figured it out.

I'm running Vista HP on a HP pavillion 6880ea. (2.2 core 2, plenty of ram, NV8400gs M) and i'm using a bog standard 4pin s video cable,

Cheers in advance for any help.

2. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

When outputing via S-Video are you using the PAL-I video format?
    (PAL-I is the standard for the UK)

3. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

PAL B/G and PAL I are the same for video. The difference lies in on which frequencies the sound is transmitted, so I don't think PAL is the problem here.

That 4-pin S-Video cable, is that going directly into the S-Video connector of the "graphics card". If so, there *might* be a problem there, since these connectors often aren't completely standard. They're often used for both S-Video and Composite signals. If there's an adapter for the graphics card try using that first.

Another thing. Refresh rate. It's been a while since I've dabbled with tv output. Can you set the refresh rate for tv output too high? Might be worth looking in to.

Krikkit likes this.
  4. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Someone gave me reputation for my previous comment. I'm not sure what for, since I didn't really solve the problem, but thanks none the less! :)

5. Montyburns

Montyburns What's a Dremel?

Cheers for the response Azreal. The s vid cable is going directly into the computer/graphics card, but there were no adaptors supplied. But, having a look at it, it is a 7 pin connector, although i thought this was likely due to the combined composite/s video trick often employed. It may well be something to do with this, because, i dont think its refresh rate. The NV control panel recognises my TV well enough, and even decides its refresh rate should be 30i (which, i think means good old fashoined PAL 60fps). Its not resoulution either, ive tried 800x600, 640x480, 720x480, and probably others.

So, the only thing left is my cable. I'll investigate. Cheers for the pointer, 'tis much appreciated, and the rep points, although not allocated by me, are much deserved :)

Cheers, MB

p.s. Anyone else find the NV control panel dog ****ing awful, slow and generally irritating? It cant just be me...

6. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Hmmm... If by 30i you mean 30 frames per second interlaced, then your tv shouldn't show this. First of all PAL runs at 50Hz, which is 50 frames per second (*interlaced*!). This should be the default refresh rate. If it isn't, then something's wrong.

Most reasonably new CRT tv sets can be run in a mode called PAL/60, which lets you see NTSC (60Hz) content on a PAL set.

Just for kicks, what would happen if you set the output in the driver to Composite instead of S-Video? Is the picture disappearing then as well? If not, the right behaviour for this mode should be a black and white picture with a certain kind of fuzzy "noise" (sorry, can't recall the proper English term for it right now).

By the way, might I ask which driver version you're using and if it's the old or the new control panel?