1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News NVIDIA's G80 will be a little late...

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 13 Sep 2006.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

So are these going to sell out every winter instead of heaters now?

3. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

"It is being tossed about that the card will require its own power supply"

no f**king way!!!!! i wont get one. seriously i wont, even if they are the best.

4. BFGunrunner

BFGunrunner What's a Dremel?

I hear you'll need a 700 Watt power suply for the G80. I remeber when the 6800 Ultras came out they needed 450 watts min and at that time that was insane.

5. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

how can they blame vista for the power requirements.. i dont believe aero is going to be that bad unless its horribly coded, it does little more than osx's flashy whatnots and that runs on an fx card.

i wonder if they mean a full on internal psu or a small external one like that dual 7800 that some company made. cant think of the name now. either way i think thats the wrong way to go, why not aim for low power consumption.

6. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

i was planning on getting 900W for my next system anyway.... but then i decided to wait for DX10, vista and next gen AMD/Intel/ati/NV stuff before i do anything

my old barton/GF6600GT are still ploding along for now.

7. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

I'm sure they mean that it will require some kind of DC powersupply.

8. jjsyht

jjsyht Hello, my name is yuri

I suppose since the MegaHertz war is over, the MegaWatt one is on.
    How stupid....

9. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

wow... definatly not getting one of those if they need a power brick. I don't think graphics cards should even need more than the 75W the PCI-E slot can provide. If these cards need external PSU's there power consumption must be massive and so the amount of heat there putting out. Considering it's hard enough to cool two 7900gtx using air, does this mean they will be shipping water cooling as standard? or just artic cooler style things with fast spinning fans?

10. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

didn't we see this external power source nonsense on the later voodoo cards years ago? it'll soon sort itself out

11. riggs

riggs ^_^

Well, if that is the case, they'll sound like jet engines.

12. Tim S

Tim S OG

yes, Voodoo 5 6000 had an external power brick IIRC.

13. img

img Minimodder

if they said a 6800 ultra needed 450w i run my 68000gt at ultra speeds with conroe now and load of other gear on 350watt without problem. quality 350w though

14. Speedo

Speedo What's a Dremel?

I seem to remember dedicated 300w PSUs being shown that fit in a 5.25" drive bay just for graphics cards.. but I can't remember what show it was at. Either way it's ridiculous.

Give me graphics power with low heat and no noise! The noise of this 6800GT stock fan drives me up the wall and as a result I hardly turn the offending machine on. My main consideration when building a new computer is low noise, then performance. If a 7900GTX, or an X1900XTX was near silent, i'd buy one! As it is i'm still unsure about buying an X1900GT as I don't know if the noise will be bearable..

Oh, and Aero looks lovely. It is however running perfectly on this laptop equipped with GeForce Go 7400 + Turbocache, so how on earth can they claim a portable furnace will be required?

15. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

So the G80 will be a room heater like the P4? - Imagine the G80 with a P4EE, who needs a furnace, just get a 1000W PSU and turn up the graphics detail. :D

16. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

like this?

I second that & I'm glad to hear the last point.

17. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

so is this thing supposed to be DX10 or what ?

and what damage to your wallet will it do, cost and power wise :p

18. Speedo

Speedo What's a Dremel?

Yeah that's the kind of thing :). I seem to remember it being specifically aimed at 'next generation GPUs', though obviously the power supplies got here first.

I forsee Shuttles becoming the next generation intelligent hobs. Want to fry that egg? Load up 3DMark2007! Entertainment whilst you cook! Why wait 'til it's time to eat?

19. Ringold

Ringold What's a Dremel?

I was planning on at least 750 quality watts for my next build early next year, as much as 1kw if prices are a little lower by then.. so this is no surprise.

They really, really can't pin it on Vista/Aero though.. sounds nice to pin it on MS, but in the real world, my X800XL doesn't glow just trying to render the boot screen.

Regarding the heat... Ya'll need to learn, and learn to love, water. =) I like silence in my tiny office here, so I've had a block on my CPU GPU (northbridge passively cooled and 120mm fan blowing silently over all of it, nearly-silent Seasonic psu) hooked up to a Reserator. Only thing I hear, ever, is the hard drive when it gets heavily used. So, so sweet. Horrible for LAN parties, sweet for the office. Their newer version looks better though, saw it mentioned in a review of some trade show not too long ago but it isn't out yet. Could also probably achieve near-silence with an internally mounted system, a pair of 120mm fans, one perhaps on the radiator, the other pulling or pushing air in or out, or something like that.

20. K404

K404 It IS cold and it IS fast

Time for some coding overhaul and new architecture. Despite the lower tech node, they`re just adding on more pipes and shaders instead of making the actual working of the card better.

175W rumoured for the G80 (PCI-E and plug so I hear) Thats stock.

AMD CPU at 35W. NV and ATI need to learn from CPU makers. Maybe ATI wil learn faster?

Tags: Add Tags