1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Panther on an iBook G4

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sam0r, 24 Dec 2005.

1. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

I've got the latest iBook you can get, the one that came with Tiger.

I want to install Panther on it because tiger uses too much memory, and I dont want dashboard or spotlight.

I know they can be disabled, but I use the search from within finder, and disabling spotlight screws that up.

I've got a set of panther cd's here, but when I try to boot it, I just get a grey screen with a crossed circle :(

Anyone know if this is actually possible?

2. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

I don't think so, I think the current ones require extra drivers and stuff for the different trackpads - the two finger scrolling thing, and also for the sudden motion sensor. For those reason it's not possible to downgrade, although perhaps there are hacks to allow it.

One question: Why?

Spotlight is the single greatest feature of any operating system...

3. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

I have downgraded on my ibook 900mhz g3 and glad I did, it looks exactly the same w/o the extra stuff I don't use. I never used spotlight, what did you use it for?

'doc

4. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

Simply because spotlight kills the hard drive, and tbh the iBook hdd is slow enough as it is without spotlight making things worse.

Also because I haven't used spotlight more than twice in the 3 months that I've had it!

5. Tomm

Well I love spotlight, it makes it an absolute doddle to find documents/pictures etc on your hard drive. I use it a lot. But I suppose if you don't use it, then why not disable it? What do you mean it "kills the hard drive"?

And Murdoc, you can downgrade to Panther - your iBook probably came with it in the first place? Either that or Jaguar. What I am saying is that you can't downgrade the current iBooks.

6. seebul

seebul Minimodder

sorry this is a bit off topic but saves me starting a new thread. When the new intel macs come out, because there intel based does tht mean tht all the windows programs will run on mac? is so, does this mean virus' and spyware for macs? :eeek: :waah:

7. Tomm

I don't think so, no (on both counts). You don't get viruses on x86 machines because they are x86, you get viruses because they run MS Windows. Take Linux for example - There's no viruses there. I think we'll be safe for a few more years :)

8. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

O RLY?
    I know I can, I wasn't saying that because I can downgrade so can sam0r, I was just sharing my experence of downgrading ;)

'doc

9. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

Yeah, I'm going to give apple a bell and see what they say, but I think Tomm's got the right idea.

Bit off topic, my iBook did this the other day (sorry about the crud quality, I've lost the usb cable for my camera):
    [​IMG] :jawdrop:

Yes, thats a dirty kernel panic!

10. phantomxc

phantomxc What's a Dremel?

alot of the newer macs cannot downgrade to other operating systems, we have panther on some of our service drives just for some of the programs we use and sometimes it can be a little more stable, so we eneded up making some tiger drives. As for the kernal panic if it continue to persist, try reseating the airport card and ram. believe it or not that fixes %50 of kernal panic problems. then check software and if continues you might have yourself some defective hardware. just remember support your local service providers o_O service is what keeps us in business.

11. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

That was booting from the Install DVD. I cleaned the DVD and it was all well and good.

I'm thinking of selling the iBook actually, I don't really use it anymore :(

12. seebul

seebul Minimodder

:eeek: samor how could u!? :miffed:

:hehe:

What do you use instead then??

Your powermac?

13. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

Yeah, I hardly use my iBook, apart from at college.

I'll see what happens when I go back to college in Jan, things might change and I'll keep it :)

14. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

Will give you £2.50...

'doc

15. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

Sold! :D

Tags: