1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pink Supergirl Linux Box (June, 2006)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Shannon, 27 Jun 2006.

1. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

maybe cut out the S as a small window and put a pink CCFl in it?? sand the acrylic to diffuse the light... or if a window is a no go, make it as a case badge, very small and painted around the s, so the S lights up with a pink led, you could just wire that to the HDD led eventually..

2. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

I would slap in the unidentified that looks the newest and see if it will identify itself right before the BIOS posts, like alot of other video cards will do. I myself have never really found tv-out to be very usefull. I think you'll have better luck getting drivers for the GeForce 2, and it should deffinately perform better than the SiS. However, being on Linux does kinda emply your not going to be gameing much, but I bet that card could run UT and far more games than the SiS could.

L J

3. philyoung

philyoung What's a Dremel?

Hmm, anyone else think Shannon looks like Olivia Hallinan (plays Kim in Sugar Rush)?
    [​IMG]
    Anyway, suppose I should comment on the mod.
    I'm sure my 5 year old neice would love it - bit too pink for my liking!

Phil

4. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Use the nVidia card, unless the new one turns out to be nVidia.

ATi drivers on linux are nasty, and I guess the sis ones aren't too different.

ch424

5. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

i hate SiS gfx - go for nvidia or ATI
    i believe Nvidia is still ahead on linux atm though ... (my GF2 has inbuilt drivers on FC5 .. so you might have luck with that) it depends what you want to do (btw the GF2 can handle DVD output at atleast 1280x1050 without problem)

6. berond

berond What's a Dremel?

Agree. :thumb:

7. Colonel Sanders

According to the Gentoo Wiki (found here), the Geforce 2 serires of cards, and many almost every other nvidia card can run XGL. That is kinda odd since SuSE XGL website doesn't have as good a list as the Gentoo wiki, I'm going to guess the Gentoo Wiki is just more up to date. Among the cards listed that don't work is the SiS 6326. There are no other SiS cards listed on that page.

L J

8. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

If you use Ubuntu Linux, you'll have probably no problem with whatever graphics card you choose. Once it's installed, grab the AutomatiX updater from the official forums and you should be in business, it'll auto-install fglrx for you.

Also, with Ubuntu, quite a few of us use it, some for gaming, so there's auto support right here as well...

9. Shannon

Shannon What's a Dremel?

Thanks for all the input, Colonel Sanders. The Gentoo wiki does seem to have a better list. I'll probably end up using the GeForce 2, but I may stick in the unidentified card to find out what it is if only out of curiosity.

I considered Ubuntu when looking at different distros to install, but I've decided to try SuSE, at least first. I'm sure I'll be trying different distros too. Speaking of which, does anyone have a suggestion about a good size for an OS partition for Linux?

10. Co2

Co2 CadUser

SuSe is absolutely great if you can live with the programs that you get with it, else you're pretty ****ed. I once tried to install a muckclient program on it but it never really installed it, it just popped up yAST and closed it as quickly as it popped up :sigh:
    Might just aswell just be my computer, i can't even install any linux distro anymore because of a 'usb error' :eyebrow:

11. infered101

infered101 What's a Dremel?

For distros like kayin said go with ubuntu. BUt NOT 6.0 its has graphics card incompadibilites. That means your G 2 might mess up the install. I had problems trying to install 6 so i had to reinstall 5. I love 5 (breezy bagder or whatever) like he said install automatix and grab the programs you need and your set. Also you can go to ubuntu guide and its tells you how to do everything that is ubuntu you just have to click on the link that says breezy if that is the one your going to use. The guide gives you how to's on everything from installing to configuring.

I have tried alot of distros and i have settled on ubuntu it just works. That is what im using as i type this on my internet/email/messaging/downloading ubuntu rig.

12. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I'd go with the third card. It doesn't cost anything to try out which it is?

13. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I've not heard of any graphics instabilities on Dapper...

Anyway, most new distros should have support for quite a few older products, cards included. It's amazing what comes out of the box these days...

14. Colonel Sanders

Really hard to say about the size for an OS partition. I think quite a few distros will let you use as little as two partitions, 1 for swap and 1 for everything else. I normally got with the options the installer gives me (if it gives me any at all). I think a good size for a root partition (everything except /home) would be about 4-5GB.

L J

15. infered101

infered101 What's a Dremel?

I didnt here of it until my computer did it. When installing after the first loading screen for all the files (before its asks you questions about partioning and the such) it will just stop and then show a blank screen. The computer will be on but all you see is your mouse and a blank screen. I thought it was just a media problem and something was wrong so i checked the disc nope everything is fine. That is when i went on google and searched for it and a few people are having the problems. Most of the problems are with laptops and some older cards.

16. Philipp

Philipp What's a Dremel?

A friend of mine has SuSE (it's german nickname is "Windows from Nuremberg" :D) in use and it really sucks. YaST is perhaps the most evil tool I've ever seen. :wallbash:
    Go for Ubuntu or Debian instead as you will learn much more :)

The partition table of my fathers Debian system looks like this:
    Code:
    Filesystem            Size     Mounted on
    /dev/sdb1             250M     /
    /dev/sdb9             8,2G     /home
    /dev/sdb8             361M     /tmp
    /dev/sdb5             4,6G     /usr
    /dev/sdb6             2,8G     /var

The partitions of my own box (running FreeBSD):
    Code:
    Filesystem     Size   Mounted on
    /dev/ad0a     248M    /
    /dev/ad0e     248M    /tmp
    /dev/ad0f      70G    /usr
    /dev/ad0d     248M    /var
    /dev/ad0g     153G    /data

Note: on both machines exist swap-partitions with the size of 2*RAM. ;)

HTH

17. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

Ive got mandrive and on my 250 GB ive got 2 additional partitions
    /media
    /music
    both are set to windows share using samba for data backup up.

18. Shannon

Shannon What's a Dremel?

hmm. What do you guys think of Gentoo? that's another one I was considering. I've already heard what people think of ubuntu.

19. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

I've heard Gentoo is good.
    I also hear a lot of good things about ubuntu (or kunbuntu for unbuntu with KDE)

I myself use slackware :)

Also, I suggest doing about a 10 gig for / and 2*ram for swap and the rest for /home
    Thats just how I do it though.

20. dliberate

dliberate What's a Dremel?

Gentoo is easily the fastest linux distro.... assuming you have sufficient knowledge to set it up to be fast. Essentially it compiles everything specifically for your machine (so the code executes faster). However, you must know quite a lot about your machine to set up and optimise the kernel. There's a good guide on the gentoo site regarding that. Also the portage system (gentoo's equivalent to a package management system) is kept right up to date. Unfortunately, if you generate a kernel specifically for your machine, it's a pretty time consuming process (and definately not guaranteed to work). You can choose to install a generic kernel but that kinda defeats the object of gentoo.

For a fast, clean installation process and a good system with up to date packages and good documentation I'd choose a variety of Ubuntu. I'd recommend Xubuntu (xfce window manager) or simply replacing the default windows manager on any of them with fluxbox. Though I'm not sure if that is compatible with xgl. *shrug* Hope that's useful.

@infered101: Have you tried booting with no frame buffer on Dapper?