1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Pokémon Sun & Moon Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 6 Dec 2016.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Piss kidney

3. alf-

alf- Minimodder

Pokemon is the only game (that I can think of) that gets away with releasing, what is essentially 2 identical copies of the same game.

4. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

I dunno, Call of Duty hasn't done too badly ;)

5. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

My main gripe is them moving away from the tile-based system to full 3D world. Leads to all sort of weird quirks, like having to hit A to go into a building, and a short reset animation instead of invisible walls. These weren't problems in Xy.

6. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Thing is, CoD may do yearly, but it certainly doesn't get away with it. It makes big sales, but everybody lays into it, it's like the Transformers films, big bucks but also won't get a break. On the other hand, Pokemon just gets a free pass for some reason.

7. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

I think it's okay for them to release two identical games, because that's kind of the schtick. They're not dishonest about it, and they basically say "These are two games, each have different unique pokemon, choose whichever one you like the look of."

I think letting people set their expectations up-front worked well for it.

8. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

I know they've been doing it since forever, but considering both games are £30+ each, I find it a little annoying that you don't get a "full" experience as such from each.

Imagine taking a game like Mass Effect, then splitting a choice arc so paragon is in one game and renegade in the other, then charging full price for both games. You'd have two fairly different experiences in each game, but you'd be paying twice as much for the privilege.

This point has rubbed me the wrong way since I was a kid, given I was only able to get one game at a time.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That's similar to, but not the same as, Lionhead's original plan for Black & White. The idea was that the game would launch in two editions: Good and Evil. The Evil edition had a black cover and cost £30; the Good edition had a white cover and cost £35 with the extra cash going to charity. The two games inside, though, were identical, and Lionhead abandoned the idea in favour of launching a single edition with a reversible black/white cover instead.

10. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

It's not at all like this though, it's just a handful of pokémon. With breeding, you can get all of the pokémon from both pretty easily over time, if that's what you're into. Story is the same, 90% of the game is identical.

11. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

They've done it with movies for years. I went to see The Matrix Reloaded and it was half of a movie ffs. I was proper disappointed how it ended (basically making you go see the second part). I never did bother with the second part as I was so annoyed.

12. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I thought them releasing 2 slightly different copies with different pokemon in both was to encourage trading of pokemon between players [that combined with some pokemon only evolving when traded].

They didn't want you to buy both/all 3 versions [though naturally they aren't complaining if you do], they wanted you to trade with your mates.

13. alf-

alf- Minimodder

I've heard that before. In the early days of needing a physical cable to trade, it kinda of makes sense (still sounds like an excuse to sell more games tho).

These days, not so much. People trade regardless simply because it's so accessible now, the idea that Pokemon devs need to artificially increase trading dosent hold much water.

Personally I don't really mind I have enjoyed the games over the years, but I'm not a completionist, so not catching all the Pokemon isn't much of an issue.
    I just find it odd that Pokemon gets away with it, with minimal hate.

14. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Even though now trading is much easier, I think now the expectation is that there will be 2 different versions, because basically it's always been the case.

Even if it was a ploy to shift more copies, it's worked for them.

Tags: Add Tags