1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Polishing a Firelite

Discussion in 'Modding' started by MrWizard, 16 Apr 2008.

1. MrWizard

MrWizard What's a Dremel?

So I just scored a 40GB Firelite drive from work. It's pretty much new and it's plug n' play so I'm happy.

Here's the deal though: It was previously etched, and that's no good for me because I want it to look nice. I removed the top and bottom covers, which I thought were plastic and I was already planning on a simple re-paint. To my surprise, they're actually aluminum :)rock:). So my new plan is to get the halves sanded down and them hit them up with some emery cloth to smooth them out a bit. Then I'm going to hand-polish them to (hopefully, with some patience) a mirror finish. My question to you guys is this: What compounds have you used on aluminum in the past that yielded some nice results? I was leaning toward some mothers billet wheel polish, but if there's a better alternative, by all means pass it on. :dremel:

I'll post some pics here sometime soon when I'm finished with the little bugger. Thanks in advance, happy modding :thumb:

2. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

Autosol

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

DuPont polishing compound. It has a nice grit to it and will polish faster than Mother's. I've never seen Autosol in the US.

4. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Colgate sensation whitening

What? :worried:

5. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

Thats true, toothpaste works well as a polish. Give it a shot I guess, its metal you can't hurt it.

6. cogitoergosum

cogitoergosum What's a Dremel?

I swear by Mothers Wheel Polish. I use it on my car, my case, my keys(dont ask)..anything I want shiny.

7. NZ_mod_man

NZ_mod_man What's a Dremel?

Keys?:eyebrow:

Sorry I just had to. :hehe: