1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PPD slow down - project 8018?

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by desertbaker, 24 Oct 2013.

1. desertbaker

desertbaker Steady Eddie

Hi

My PPD has crashed from around 50,000 to 20,000 :waah:. This all seemed to happen at the same time I changed my case (Carbide 550R), fitted a new PSU (AX760i) and installed a H100i CPU cooler. Same m/b; CPU (i5 2500 @3.3ghz); video card (GTX 660) and 16gb ram.

I've spent 2 weeks removing and tweaking: corsair link, reinstalling FAH client (v7.3.6) with "advanced" option, nvidia drivers of various ages with and without 3D support but to no avail. It stubbornly refuses to increase.

According to CPU usage, all 4 cores are at 100% and running at 45 degrees C. The GPU is running at 99% usage and 59 degrees C which suggests all hardware is being used to the maximum. So is it the project or have I done something really, really stupid during my rebuild?

Would appreciate some assistance as it is driving mad!

desertbaker

2. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder

hi try using the beta not advanced im getting 50-55k 0n core 17

3. desertbaker

desertbaker Steady Eddie

Thanks for that.

I've removed the slot, added it again, removed "advanced" and replaced it with "beta". Instantly up to 36,000 PPD with project 7513. I'll leave it alone whilst I'm at work and let you know what it settles to tonight.

Also, hopefully when I get home the postie will have delivered a new, shiny MSI GTX760 gaming card :D

Are there any other flags that could be used?

4. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

The current core 17 for nVidia cards likes a CPU core spare per GPU - so you might get more points on your new GPU if you give it the necessary breathing room.

5. desertbaker

desertbaker Steady Eddie

New 760 arrived and has been put in and the 660 moved to the spare slot on the m/b. New card flies in all games. New card has been set to "beta" but I was receiving this error in the log for the 660, "Temperature control disabled. Requirements: single Nvidia GPU, tmax must be < 110 and twait >= 900" so have moved that back to advanced which removed the error. Does anyone know what this error means?

Took doc's advice and have reduced the cores to 2 leaving 2 free and PPD shot up to 83,000 from 69,000 - thanks for the help everyone.

PS while I'm on this upgrade path, would I notice a great deal going from the i5 2500 to a i5 4670k (and new m/b)?

6. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

The error you received is from some new coding going into the core - for the moment it can be ignored as it's not been formally finished/released.

You will see some difference with the processor change, but if you're going to do that, why not treat yourself to an i7 :)

7. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Would get a fair bit extra because you would be able to overclock, probably not enough to justify the expense though. But I suspect you would get a similar/greater bump in PPD if you just put a 2600/2700k in your current board and went to 4C/8T folding. If you have a P/Z motherboard you can overclock as well. Cheaper and more points.

8. desertbaker

desertbaker Steady Eddie

Away working for a few days in Cornwall. Will have a look when I get back at the 2600 and 2700k but no, I do not have a PZ board. Having upgraded the case, psu, memory I was thinking of utilising the old case etc with the 660 and i5 2500 quietly in a corner to help heat my room over winter. Well, that's my excuse to continue with the upgrade !

Is there an easier way to keep track of what is going on at home in terms of PPD whilst I am away apart from logging into the Stanford site?

Again, thanks for the thoughts.