1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project AquaLight - updated [23-2-2007] FINISHED!!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ssR, 16 Aug 2006.

1. ssR

ssR Carbon God

Thanks JAxen :)

sorry guys but there wont be an update today. at least not with pics. i did quite a lot but unfortunately i wont be able to take photos with my own cam anymore. we are working on some classified projects at our workshop and are not allowed to bring any cameras. so im gonna use the 1 we got at our workshop from now and on. its not that bad its just that sometimes i wont be able to post updates cause that camera can get pretty busy.

So for now ill update you all in words and the pics will be uploaded tomorrow.
    remember the door handle on the original case? well today i found out that its useless thanks to a good design i can just keep the door locked with the screws at the back.

so the first thing i did was removing the pieces of aluminium that acted as a support for the handle. sorry for my sucky explanation heres a pic

[​IMG]

the panel looks so much cleaner now :D

other than that i finshed filing the main window and began working on the "AQUALIGHT" writing at the top section of the panel. i finished about half of the cutting during the 2 hours i dedicated to the project today and tomorrow i hope to finish it and start filing the cuts (im really looking forward to it :rolleyes: )

there are those rare moments when i just think, damnit this project is gonna take forever or "i wanna quit" :wallbash: and then the only thing that brings me back on track is thinking about TRIBALOVERKILL and the amounts of dedication and patience he puts in his mods. i really look up to this guy so everytime i think about him during my depression moments i just feel dwarfed, shut up and get back to my own project.

after the window panel is done im gonna move to the other side panel, then the case top and finally im gonna begin working on the interiors. as i said earlier i ordered a bunch of stuff from blackdog-pcs about a week ago, im still waiting for them to reply, i really hope to get my stuff soon :sigh:

thats it guys tomorrow i promise ill make it up with more pics

2. ssR

ssR Carbon God

Another update!!!
    im wasted so lets move to the pics right away...

Yesturday i worked mostly on the side panel

i cut off the pieces supporting the side panel handle. masking the work area
    [​IMG]

after cutting it off with a dremel
    [​IMG]

same ritual performed on the original panel
    [​IMG]

after that i sanded the cut area with a pneumatic dremel
    [​IMG]

up close
    [​IMG]

next thing i did was starting to cut the "aqualight" writing. i placed the printed piece on top. i used 3M 77 adhesive spray to glue the paper to the surface
    [​IMG]

glued in place
    [​IMG]

let the dremeling begin! :dremel:
    [​IMG]

a bit later...
    [​IMG]

thats where i left it.
    [​IMG]

till the next time...

and now thats what i did today

drilled the rivets holding the case top in place
    [​IMG]

after cutting the front and the rear 120mm grills
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

me during the sanding on the cuts
    [​IMG]

final result after some final touches with a file (damn camera focused on the wrong area :( )
    [​IMG]

a close up on 1 of the corners. not perfect but close enough. it will all be covered with a U-channel later on anyway
    [​IMG]

finished front blowhole. i will remove the HDD cage tomorrow and file it some more even though it wont be seen
    [​IMG]

then i moved to the case top

a cut out from a cardboard
    [​IMG]

fitting it on the case
    [​IMG]

masking the top and marking the outlines
    [​IMG]

thats it for today. tomorrow i hope to cut the top and maybe even finish it (all except the plexi)

3. LuitvD

LuitvD What's a Dremel?

I wish I had those tools around (pneumatic rotary tool :nono: , don't even have a workbench :p ) (do have a dremel, so I'm not that bad)

some very nice work you're doing there mate... Keep it up :thumb:

4. tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior What's a Dremel?

your work with composites and fibres looks to be something that is going to make your project stand out. I'd highlight your skills using such materials on your case - you have the ability and means to do it. The work looks nice and clean too.

Ironic that you might end up using a lot of carbon fibre but have a really heavy case... :)

5. Belial669

Belial669 What's a Dremel?

Really impressive so far. Another great mod in my book showing what can be done with the right skills and equipment.
    Just wondering in relation to the front panel why you've made the two top 5 1/2 in bays unremovable? Are you going to use them as a base for mounting switches etc? Or just to get a uniform finish at the top of the panel?

Also with the noticable difference in the two types of carbon fibre for someone not in the business what sort of price difference is there between the two?
    Relatively i mean rather than dollar sums.
    Also wondering are you using an epoxy or another type of resin (i cant quire remember the name but it goes to a more gel like consistany before hardening) does one give a better finish on carbon over the other in your experience?

Cheers and keep up the good work. :thumb:
    -Belial

6. ssR

ssR Carbon God

thanks everyone :D

im at the workshop right now working on the top of the case and it turns out more time consuming than i thought.

tkdwarrior: i wont be using carbon after all, ill go for a clean exterior. but yes this sucker is going to be pretty heavy :p

Belial669: to answer ur questions. i made the top 2 drive bays covers unremovable for the 2nd reason. i dont need extra drives, im still not certain where i will be placing the fanbus but i think 3 bays are more than enough for my needs at this point and the looks are much cleaner as it is now. as for the epoxy im using, i use mainly 2 kinds of epoxy resin, 1st is 5052 resin compound used mainly to soak the fiberglass / carbon / w/e as it is relatively liquid compared to the other types and that is its main purpose. i use different types of fillets such as microbaloons or aerosil depends on the qualities im looking for.

i really dont know about the price difference between the fiber types im not buying them im just using whatever we have in the workshop. im not sure about the stuff u mentioned (the 1 that turns gelly before it hardens, all of the 2 composite stuff im using are turning gelly like at some point as they harden).

if ur willing to make a carbon skin u should use 5052 epoxy resin with a bit of aerosil. a small amount of it mixed with the epoxy makes the final product look much more smooth and fills in the pinholes that might appear when theres a lack of epoxy in the fiber (usually happens with rough fibers like carbon 600 i mentioned earlier)

the best way to make a smooth carbon skin is to apply the 1st layer of epoxy on a smooth surface (preferrably glass) and wait till it gets sticky and then apply the fiber itself. that way the fiber wont be able to soak the 1st layer and the skin will come out smooth without pinholes. you know the epoxy is in the right condition to apply the 1t coat when you can touch the 1st layer leaving a fingerprint but without having any resin on ur finger

ill post an update as soon as i get home

7. ssR

ssR Carbon God

well... im abck at home. pretty exhausted. worked about 3 hours today. ye perfection can be pretty time consuming sometimes.

as i said earlier i worked on the case top today. here are the pics:

after cutting out the middle section
    [​IMG]

another piece cut out
    [​IMG]

after some rough sanding with the pneumatic rotary tool (or w/e its called)
    [​IMG]

and a closer look
    [​IMG]

closeup on 1 of the finished corners
    [​IMG]

the top as i left it for today. i took a pic of the inner part cause its hard to evaluate the look of the exterior cause of all the masking tape

hopefully ill finish it tomorrow
    [​IMG]

8. CC-R

CC-R What's a Dremel?

i like that top and the "Aqualight" sign

9. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

It's called a "die grinder". They come in "straight" or "right angle/90 degree" flavours. You appear to be using both. Those are some seriously nice cuts your doing. Keep it up.

10. ssR

ssR Carbon God

thanks for the comments :) keep em coming :thumb:

and now for the update

i finished cutting the top cover
    [​IMG]

thats how it looked before all the filing and sanding
    [​IMG]

mission accomplished :D
    [​IMG]

i the moved to finish the aqualight cutout
    [​IMG]

the bit i used to cut out all the small pieces
    [​IMG]

cutting finished
    [​IMG]

the bit i used to remove the excess material before going to the fine filing
    [​IMG]

thats the file i use to finish off the cuts
    [​IMG]

a finished letter (only one for now)
    [​IMG]

tomorrow more filing :wallbash:

11. LuitvD

LuitvD What's a Dremel?

wow :) you don't need lasercutting machines... just some time, and it'll look just as nice :thumb:

very nice work, good luck on the filing! :D

12. ssR

ssR Carbon God

haha thanks man. imo all those laser cutting and waterjet machines are for the lazy modders among us. i like doing things by hand ^_^, even though sometimes it can get a bit frustrating

13. ZenX

ZenX How are you gentlemen?

Nice! Gonna keep an eye out for this too :)

14. Belial669

Belial669 What's a Dremel?

Nice finishing with the filing, hmm really puts my efforts so far to shame.
    But yeah really nice work with the letters.

As an aside i also remembered the resin i'd been talking about before as polyester resin, i used to be into kayaking and we'd use polyester resin as its more flexible than epoxy when hard. And it changes color as it hardens and goes through a jelly like consistancy as it starts to harden.
    Thanks for the tips with the carbon fibre btw.

Cheers
    -Belial

15. ssR

ssR Carbon God

a small update. i finished about half of the writing on the side panel and to be more exact the "LIGHT" part. i left the "AQUA" for tomorrow

starting to look better
    [​IMG]

3 letters completed
    [​IMG]

the part i left for tomorrow
    [​IMG]

and the finished part
    [​IMG]

in the pictures u can still see some small imperfections ill take care of them as soon as im done with the entire name and removed the printed pattern

feedback time :D

16. LuitvD

LuitvD What's a Dremel?

very nice, and once again, can't help saying that it looks like laser cutting :thumb: keep up the good work

17. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

The main reason I like CNC units is because they are fun to watch. Your design comes to life while you watch. Looks really nice. Makes me wann mod more.

18. tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior What's a Dremel?

nice detail work with the letters.

would make sense to use it that way Belial, but i always found polyester to be (a lot) cheaper and a less attractive cousin to epoxy :)

19. randomz

randomz What's a Dremel?

Good =]

This mod is looking good, cant wait to see the end result. I've been considering doing a full top window like you did :clap:

20. foundsoul

foundsoul What's a Dremel?

Nice man keep it up looking forward to see it finished!