1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project:: Black Lightning-- FINISHED!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by JEEVES, 1 Apr 2004.

1. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

wow its great when a project has some work done to it while you are at work. Thanks there bro :D . Great looking skin, i will have to try not deleting this one :rolleyes: .

JEEVES

2. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

Ok sorry for no update, but i was busy building a computer for a client as well as being uber sick all weekend long. I did get a few things in the mail this weekend as well as picked up some stuff at frys.
    I got this camera for 30 bucks off of ebay, everything works I just need to pick up a charger and a sd card.

[​IMG]

And becuase it didnt come with a usb cable, I decided it would be cheaper just to get one of these ($4.95) and build it into the new case :rock: still not sure where to put it tho i might stick it on the side of the case or on the front between the 5in optical and the 3.5 bays. I AM OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS ON WHERE TO PUT THIS. ( :idea: mabey on top front so you have to stick down in)
    [​IMG]

And I got a 160gig hdd for 90 dollars no rebate :rock: :rock:. I also got this case from the people i was building the pc for, they wanted me to just upgrade this one. but i saw way to much potential for this case to let it go to a family that would not appreciate its true beauty. So as soon as me and enigma are done with our cases we will start on this beast (we are thinking a warhammer 40k theme, imperial guard).
    [​IMG]

I was just going to take a pic of what used to be in that case but alas the batteries are dead. It was an intel 486 dx2 :eeek: and they wanted me to just upgrade that thing :hehe: . They just got a brand new pc for 400, not a bad price for a new pc......i am rambaling about nothing (too much Hydro DP Syrup, robiteson on steroids) anyways yeah my stuff from futurlec came today so wen i will be doing quite alot so expect an update wen night. until then PLEASE GIVE ME SOME IDEAS ON WHERE TO MOUNT THE CARD READER.

JEEVES

3. TMM

TMM Modder

looking great there!,

mount the card reader vertically beside the intake on the bottom of the front :thumb:

or outside the case stuck under the exhaust fans, so its hidden, but still accessable, depends how your case is set up.

4. Thunder_return

Thunder_return What's a Dremel?

Mount the cardreader in the case so you can load it form the top.

That case looks a little like my project.

5. benje

benje Minimodder

What about at the top of the dragon case horizontally at the back, just above the PSU, and facing outwards e.g. slots cut in your right side door.

[​IMG]

6. Xeno

Xeno What's a Dremel?

I would "make a new slot" abve your upper cd-drive-slot. :). Regulair cdrd / dvd don't use fans on the top. So you could easily build it in there. If you know what I mean. Actually...let's hope it fits. :D

~Xeno~

7. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

Thanks for all the suggestions, They are all good places to put them. Still not 100% on where to put it tho, but i will know by wen. Keep the ideas coming, thanks again

JEEVES

8. Balder

Balder Calmer than a monk on morphine

looking good there!
    maybee you could place under the blowhole in the front? maybe make some sort of "door" if you know what i meen, like those "stealthed" usb ports on some cases??

Keep the good stuff comming :thumb:

9. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

Well mount the card reader towards the bottom of the case and remove the guts of it and also the faceplate of the reader and mold it in the case of mounting it. Make it look like it was stamped by factory and not mounted.

10. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

BTW I dont want to be a spamer or anything but you are doing a gr8 job on this thing and keep up the good work.

11. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

Alright got some work done today, wasnt as much as i wanted but it was some. First I ran up to Michales to get some of this, cost under 5 dollars due to 40% off coupon the cashier gave me :rock:
    [​IMG]

You ask, what do you need that for. Well I saw on modthebox.com that someone used this to tint thier VFD so I said HELL YEAH i am going to do that.So first I masked off everywhere but the screen
    [​IMG]

And just to be on the safe side I went ahead and masked off the back too.
    [​IMG]

Then it was outside to spray on my filter.
    [​IMG]

After the first coat it looked alright, but I didnt think that would filter it good enough so i put on a second coat.
    [​IMG]

Let that dry for about 2 hours or so (went and got my car inspected, yay for more money out of my pocket just to prove my car is driveable).
    [​IMG]

Drum roll please
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I think It looks damn good, well it looks much better in person (and after a second glance at the pictures it looks like the top right is filtered more than the bottom left. But it is not I just sat here staring at it to see if it was and its not. Now i just have to find a use for the rest of the can :worried: . And for all of you who are wondering you can remove the gel like film it with a razor blade, so it is not permanent.

Next I moved on to the switch area. Kinda layed all the switches and buttons where i wanted them. Then i measured everything off (twice).
    [​IMG]

Then i drilled out all the holes (dont worry about them not being perfect i will be putting a transperency, where all of it will be blacked out and have each switch and button labeled)
    [​IMG]

Next i installed them all just to see how it will look. starting at the top left to right they are dvdrom button, dvdrom led, dvdburner button, dvd burner led, on/off keyswitch, inside cathodes switch, lightning tube switch.
    [​IMG]

Then I went ahead and cut out the hole for the card reader. I decided I was going to put it in between The 3.5 and 5.25 bays, it just seemed like the perfect place. With all the "busy"stuff in the same place it keeps the center of the case the focus point.
    [​IMG]

Then I cut the plexi that will be tinted and in front of the VFD in the 3.5 bay.
    [​IMG]

Sanded it down a bit just to make sure it fit snugly into place.
    [​IMG]

And a shot from the back
    [​IMG]

That is all I was able to get done today as I have to install win and all the drivers/programs on this computer i just built for a customer :sigh:. I hate this part of the job. Anyways I will have another update this weekend, as I am starting to feel the end is near :clap: (well there is at least another month or so of work to do) But at least it is starting to come together. THanks for all the replys

JEEVES

Last edited: 6 May 2004
  12. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Ahhh... now everyone is using the tinted vft covers... :sigh: I though my case was going to be different...

I like the vfd alot. I am using normal character vfds but I was wondering on your graphical vfd what software are you running to get the graphics (or is it c++)

Looking good...

13. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

I am using a combintation of lcdstudio and liquid mp3. The vu metter you see is from liquid mp3, the metters in lcdstudio suck the big one. If anyone knows of a better program for the noritake 800a please let me know. I am not satisifed with what i have and wish it could do more.

JEEVES

14. Jesterjedi

Jesterjedi What's a Dremel?

That stained glass window stuff looks ace, deffinatly gonna grab meself a can for me project thanks for the idea m8

15. Gnemelf

Gnemelf Minimodder

looking badass.. love the filter idea.. I might just have to use that to solve my problem of finding the right color lcd.. when I don't even want lcd :p I just want vfd

16. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

Yeah it works beutifuly, and the best thing is if it turns out crapy all you have to do is take a razor and skim it off. I wouldnt think it would work an lcd but I am curious to see what it would look like. I might spray one of my little 2x16 lcds just to see what kind of effect it will do. But yeah this 5 dollar spray on filter sure is a nice alternative to a 20 dollar vfd filter :rock:

JEEVES

17. Bnet

Bnet What's a Dremel?

loooking nice :baby:

18. Chrizzle

Chrizzle What's a Dremel?

Looks awesome, I can't wait to see how it looks with the blue screen, paintjob, and switches installed. Nice card reader.

Rock on :rock:

19. Avner

Avner What's a Dremel?

OH !!! WTF !!!!!!!!!!

good job for painting the VFD !!!!1 :wallbash:

:thumb:

20. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

Ok here is a smal update, I have been extremely busy the past couple of weeks. Only time i get to work on my case is late at night, and i am usualy asleep (damn work). well all I realy have done is the fanbus, so here are the pics.

well I finaly got the leds all souldered up, so i souldered them into the pcb as well as the switches
    [​IMG]

here is a shot of the back
    [​IMG]

then i made sure they all turned on. here is the blue side (12volt)
    [​IMG]

and with the flash off
    [​IMG]

and the white (5volt)
    [​IMG]

and with the flash off
    [​IMG]

unfortuantly that is about all i have gotten done, but i will be recieving my aqua tube mon. So next week i will be finishing up the front of the case :clap: . So untill then

JEEVES