1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Black Narcissus: 2006 FIN:

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modsquad, 28 Jun 2004.

1. Rh1n0x

Rh1n0x What's a Dremel?

Yeah it look really cool. More skilled even :D .
    Most Watercoolers are still in the phase: " Oh God let my hardware survive this", so they use clear tubing pref. with UV to check the flow or if the pump is on off etc.
    Black tubing really underlines your originality in this case. It reflects your chromed parts on it's clear surface and adds more 'chrome' to your case.
    More pics!!! :clap:

2. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

Sometimes you need some luck to find something special. This is the first time for me that I see a black Tygon hose, its fits perfectly into your colorscheme. :thumb:

3. [ShoNuff]

[ShoNuff] Minimodder

Black is Beautiful Baby!!!

I would have to agree. That is VERY clean! I have been tempted to use the black 6/8 tubing ever since I saw it on the AC forums. I even have 8 feet of it sitting here waiting to go. I've just allways wanted the green UV tubing. For your project the black tygon is perfect. Great find and coice.

Now, we are waiting for what? With almost 150,000 views and 40 pages I speak for all of us when I say "Crank that puppy up Maaaannnn!" :rock:

Last edited: 5 Jan 2005
  4. Jock

Jock Banned

I can't agree more :rock: Superb thread...... one of the best I've seen.

5. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Looks good so far, but mayhap you'd want to rethink your waterflow on the black tubing, to be roughly the same as that you had with the clear tubing - it would look weird if any of the tubes had to pass over top of another.

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Looks great as always. Ya know you CAN get P&C compression fittings, right (had you wanted to go that route)?

Thought about something like this for the WC loop?
    [​IMG]

May make fitting everything in easier and certainly better temps on the graphics card. Just something to consider.

The black is great, really different. I almost ordered some of the P&C black myself just an hour ago by accident, now I almost wish I didn't notice since that looks so nice (not to mention I already have some clear)

7. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

But Wouldnt that make the cpu temps skyrocket? Also isnt it supposed to be Res->Pump->Rad->CPU->VideoCard->Chipset->Res? Thats how i thought is a good way of doing it but seeing as that 6800 Ultra's GPU temps are higher than the cpu ones, Firehed might be right.

8. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ? What's a Dremel?

man i love that Black Tubing, even though i was gone for the longest of times I am glad to be back so i can follow the progress of this magnificant peice of art.

9. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Thanks for the ideas and comments guys.
    (Firehed)
    I did think about GPU before CPU (I think you posted the idea a few pages back as well), but I would be worried about CPU temps (very expensive FX-55). I don't want to mix plug/cool and compression fittings (just aesthetics). I guess I will order two G1/4" elbow compression fittings from AlphaCool and see how they look (man, need to order from Germany for $8 worth of stuff)..
    (Tulatin)
    The next run of Tygon will pass under the others. It will have a inline temp probe to give the Aqua-Computer Aquaero VFD a "hot water" temp to read.
    [​IMG]
    (Sho)
    I would love to "crank it up". My problem is I keep making small changes. Case in point. I ran across these
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They are bulkhead style compression fittings. I felt they may look better than the rubber grommets I was going to use on my 5.25" bay cover (you know this thing that will hide the flow meter)
    [​IMG]
    As luck would have it, they are a perfect fix and look kick-***
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If I can get (most) of the loop set up by weeks end I will be a happy man. Then I can move on to the question of InnovaProtect of AC Fluid..
    [​IMG]
    EDIT(01/06/05) The more I look at those bulkhead compression fittings the more possibilities I see for adding more into the loop. I need more (only purchased two).. Placed another order. SEE more wasted time.. WiLL I ever finish this project? Will there be a AMD FX-65 before I do? Will I be sent to SlaughterHouse 5 BEDLAM? Stay tuned. Same BLACK TIME, SAME BLACK CHANNEL....

Last edited: 15 Sep 2008
  10. PHILIP1193

PHILIP1193 a Self Confessed HP Server Lover!!

im worried about your pump mate, iirc its either a 1046/1048 if its the 1046 it has very little pressure and im worried it may stuggle around your loop with the length of piping your using and the number of blocks and awkward places you having pipes running to.....

As for temps i am about to use a 120.1 also in my v1000 project (you gave me lots of inspiration BTW) anyway i think with that fx-55 giving out over 100 watts and the 6800ultra well known to run on the warm side you may give naff temps :duh: what u think?

Well mate the porject is sweet and you have some very creative idea's have u ever considered adonising things?? like the divider pannels im getting my silver version of this case adonised blue or get the silver colour chemically enhanced to look shiney like chrome

Phil

11. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

They do look nice, they add a finished look to that small chrome panel. Nice. I can see why people would be willing to pay for this level of work. :rock:

12. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Makes no difference whatsoever. The difference in water temperature before it enters ablock and after, is one, two degrees C at most. You can therefore put blocks in any sequence you like. In fact, some direct testing has found that putting the GPU block before the CPU block actually improves GPU temps while not affecting CPU temps in any way.

That is not nearly as critical as you think. These pumps have been used on loops of several meters length (PC indoors, rad outside on the wall) without difficulty.

Again, not as critical. I ran a Radeon 9800Pro with dual Athlon MP1800s (alltoghether about 185 watts) on a single BIX with a 68CFM Panaflo low-flow fan, and got temps in the low 30's C. There is anecdotal evidence of a guy running a dual Opteron 250 (170 watts) on a single BIX. Now he did everything wrong in his setup: put the BIX in the top of a badly ventilated case, weak 44CFM fan in a push configuration without a shroud. He still got 62C max. under load. Before that he ran 2.8Ghz Xeons overclocked to 3.0Ghz, I believe, on the same setup but German 8mm ID tubing instead of 1/2", and he got temps in the mid-50C range. Go figure...

13. Tanaban

Tanaban What's a Dremel?

Don’t listen to the rest of them, take your time and get it done right the first time... That said hurry the hell up I want to see the finished work :D

The black tygon looks sleek in your system. For my system... well ok for my sanity I need to see that it’s still filled and that the air bubbles are gone :worried:
    Keep it up man. It's one of the better projects around!
    :thumb:

14. PHILIP1193

PHILIP1193 a Self Confessed HP Server Lover!!

im not worried about over heating, i always thought the purpose of water cooling was to get better temps than what u can achieve with air cooling and to also make it quieter, i agree it will be quiet but if u wanna o/c that fx-55 it may just run too hot to get a nice o/c thats all im saying im not having a go just throwning around ideas

anyway good work mate :thumb: keep it up!

Phil

15. modsquad

The Eheim 1046 should work just fine in this system. As a matter of fact Aqua-Computer (who I trust) recommends the 1046 or there AquaStream Rev.3 (a modified 1046, 12V and adjustable from 4' to 5' max-head aka delivery height) for use with there equipment. Innovatek's HPPS 12V is another modified Eheim 1046 with a little more max-head ( 5.5' vs Eheim 1046's 4')..A stock Eheim 1048 gives you 5' max-head and the (bigboy) Eheim 1250 offers 6.5'
    Having too much pump in a "small bore" system can also cause problems!!!
    Sorry, no progress today. Had some real-world stuff to take care of. Tomorrow...

Last edited: 7 Jan 2005
  16. Firehed

Yeah I think the amount of tubing you can use increases dramatically over the head rating when it's closed loop as the water it's sucking in gets pulled along the loop as it's being pushed.

As for the couple of degrees before and after the block - I'd imagine that's true for american high-flow systems but I'd think it would be notably more with low-flow german parts. Only way to find out is to try it though.

Those bulkhead compression fittings look awesome by the way, big improvements over the grommets which weren't bad on their own.

17. modsquad

Inline Flow Meter

Only a small bit of progress today. I set up the Aqua-Computer flow meter behind it's chrome cover. I used the clear Tygon R-3603, it is slightly more flexible (ez'er to work with) and no one will ever see it.
    [​IMG]
    The design of AC's flow meter and my placement dictated short runs of Tygon, the Aquaero VFD needs to live in the same area.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I received my extra bulkhead compression fittings late today. I will do some mock-up with them tomorrow..I would think everyone knows what I plan for those extra bulkhead fittings? If not stay tuned..

Last edited: 15 Sep 2008
  18. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Nice work. Have you not considered sandblasting/ sanding the anodised layer off the Fass-O-Matic and polishing it up?

19. Cybertronic

Cybertronic What's a Dremel?

20. Firehed

AC fluid - their corrosion inhibiter type thing, although I'd doubt you need it with the innovatek stuff but still it's a good measure.

BTW MS, do they have those bulkhead things in 8/6mm?

Last edited: 8 Jan 2005