1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Black Narcissus: 2006 FIN:

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modsquad, 28 Jun 2004.

1. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

What can I say, it's certainly up to your usual standard :D

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Not really... I have a 5" TFT and a MO LCD screen in mine. ;) (and the MO LCD is getting mounted in a somewhat unusual way/place as well :D ).

Anyway, I really like that idea! An original but logical place to put an VFD. I also see that the tubing has been re-organised a bit (since I last really looked at the thread) and it looks very clean indeed... great work as usual. However you may now have to re-think your side window --I'm not sure all that goodness will show off too well through that circular red disk. However I could be wrong...

3. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

personally i would have the piece of acrylic ABOVE the cutout, so the screen is more visible, as at the moment it looks like it isnt 100% visible from some angles, plus it would be a way to show off some acrylic cutting/smoothing skills :D

4. grumblemarc

grumblemarc What's a Dremel?

Well since the case will eventually be closed up it won't be that visible anyways.

Question: How exactly is that mounted? Double sided tape perhaps?

5. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

I think it will look just fine the way it is. Remember that when it is being viewed upon the people looking at it will be standing up...looking down. :duh:

6. Dezjay

Dezjay What's a Dremel?

damm that looks nice

Is it a normal awuacomputere vfd? with a peice of red plexi? it rea;;y gives an nice red view

7. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

Bit-tech can just kick out the star ratings when this project stays a four star rating. Come on guys give it the stars it deserves. 5 STARS!!!!

8. pc-modd.dk

pc-modd.dk What's a Dremel?

Nice and well worked ,,,,

9. Pitbull

Pitbull What's a Dremel?

whaha orginal place but keep on going:)

10. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Hi Guys...

I need some help in coming up with a name for my ready to start project.

I have been thinking of something cute like Shark Bait and get a sillouette of a shark on the side of the case. What do you think?

And where should I put up a worklog? Here or at the [H]ardForum?

Last edited: 16 May 2005
  11. Rh1n0x

Rh1n0x What's a Dremel?

There's only one place where Orac:3 and Hypercube came from.
    And ofcourse the soon te be legendary Black Narcissus!

Here ofcourse!

On: Liking the VFD MS, but as others stated.. maybe it looks nicer if it's a bit 'higher'. But maybe then again it's the 'depth' you're looking at that makes it so interesting looking at it.

12. Firehed

That one's a Matrix Orbital MX333 (I think). Check WAY back in the project (first couple of pages) and you'll find out he was originally going to use a MO display. The AC VFD is going in the front of the case.

13. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Just wondering how you got the racks out? I thought I would drill out the rivets on my V2000B case to remove the front HD rack, but it appears that one of the rivets is under a panel that holds the 5.25" drives in place. :sigh:

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I think you need to put this post in its own thread (in Modding), not in someone else's Project Log thread. :nono:

15. Firehed

You have to mangle that part a bit. I had to do the same in FrozenFire. Just figure out where it is and drill through the 5.25" rack as well with a fairly large bit.

16. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Sorry for the slow response fellow modders.
    Firehed is on the money. Just drill-out the rivets to remove the HD rack TopN.
    As for the mount of the second VFD, it is held in place by the two bolts (above/below) the unit. If I raised the VFD up into the wire-hole, I would not be able to use the rubber C-strip. I feel it looks "much" better with the C-strip around the hole.
    [​IMG]

You know, I was unsure about doing this mod. I just did not want to go "overboard" at this point in the game.
    After PMing back/forth with Firehed (who's mod-style and opinion I trust), and showing him some preview pictures..I decided to "go-4-it"..I am glad I did. :thumb:

Last edited: 19 Sep 2008
  17. grumblemarc

grumblemarc What's a Dremel?

At this point going "overboard" is par for the coarse. This case is already over-the-top as it is-and quite comfortable there too. I would be safe to say that this project alone is responsible for the jump in Aquacomputer sales.

18. Firehed

Just have to ask, is that VFD normally the greenish/bluish color VFDs normally have, and the red plexi acts as a filter for it? Just noticing now how much more natural it looks, because of the red plexi-nuts and pump base, and it seems to give a cool glow (or reflection I guess) to the black tubing.

I'm getting so frickin tempted to get an Aquaero myself, but they do cost so much. But temp sensors, fan (and/or pump :D) control, viewing angle more than 5 degrees, good coloring, AC quality... I'm sure it'll happen some day. Just not till I open my own store I think, especially seeing the problems Dan is having right now. Hoping to get the "I have a business" paperwork sent off today, then I can get a reseller account over in Austria :)

19. Sathy

Sathy What's a Dremel?

Overwhelmed

WOW!! doesn't even begin to cover what it's been to read through this project of yours so far modsquad!
    I'm just in ave, your attention to details is just great and all those ideas are even more great!
    I can't even begin to describe how much inspiration this log has been for me in planning my own mod, but it's something more than 'alot' anyway =].

Been reading bit-tech news and reviews for a about a year now, but only recently 'found' the forum and now after reading this whole project through (took several days on and off actually =]) I just had to create an account to get to say these things.

Keep up the :dremel: going, looking forward to more updates.

20. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

The Martix Orbital MX333 is a black background with the standard greenish/blue text unit. The Aqua-Computer Aquaero is the same. Colored acrylic works very well as a filter for the units. I have had some luck "screening/filtering" LCD's in the same way. The ones with a black background work out quite well..