1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project CoalMine - WaterCooled FT03 - Cables done, window! - Update 13.4 ! -

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Nikozii, 9 Jan 2014.

1. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

Looking good!

J.

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Workin' in a coal mine
    Goin' down down down
    Workin' in a coal mine
    Whop! about to slip down...

Like where this is going!

3. Nikozii

Nikozii What's a Dremel?

Thank you guys. Nice to hear. :)
    That song/ poem... :D

4. Nikozii

Nikozii What's a Dremel?

Update 19.2 !

I set up some painted parts. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wire from rad will be sleeved.
    I cut bottom of the case. Broadly it came pretty weak. Connectors for rad will need some reinforcement. Maybe some thin plate. I'll post picture of bottom after that.

I did cut backplate for mobo. I'm planning up wiring.
    Should I drill every wire through one by one, as like last project. Or cut only one clean hole, which is so tight that wires work out nicely through plate?
    I need to test out..

[​IMG]

And the extension of powercord.. I didn't find any connector which got 90 degree angle to right.
    I ended up to gnaw normal straight connector with sharp knife. I soldered wires back and cover connections with hot glue. I haven't got any epoxy or anything..

[​IMG]

Hot glue was very hard stuff to work with. I shaped it with 80p grit paper. If I tried to sand it with finer paper, it melt down and did not shape at all. That is why connector got bad surface. Maybe I will do something for it later.
    I also sleeved that cord. Finally I painted it with matte black.

5. Nikozii

Nikozii What's a Dremel?

Update 27.2 !

Hey again. I've been sick again. Survived from hardest fewer now and got plenty of time to work with this.
    I wrapped up white plates. :)

Got extension cables last week. Put them on.
    This is how project looks now!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From backside.

[​IMG]

With extension cables I got Aquaero 5 LT. It found it's place between SSD- rack.
    There are pretty much cables already. Fortunately I have modular PSU.. :p

So I ended up with holes for cables.

24pin work out pretty well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8pin EPS- cable's hole become bit too big. But there will become pump wires too.

[​IMG]

As well hole for GPU- cables become bit too big. I guess I can live with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next I need to mount cables. As well I need to get them routed somehow.
    I'll try to find some cable routing clips from here in Finland. Clips like MDPC-X sells.
    MDPC-X - Cable Management Clip - Jumbo

I need to make changes for radbox. Mesh I glued wasn't tight enough. Mesh rubs against the fans while they are spinning.
    I have to raise fans from mesh. I'll make shroud from 4mm acrylic. Have to get longer screws then..

We'll see when I heal up fully and survive from other hurry. :worried:

Comments are welcome! :thumb:

6. Nikozii

Nikozii What's a Dremel?

Update 4.3 !

Yesterday I got new screws and today I flushed rad!

[​IMG]

Fan wires fit well at side of fans. They wont see anywhere.

Rad box is ready now! I will be using compression fittings at there. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:lol:

7. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

The dust filter looks great, do you expect it to have much impact on fan performance? The wood looked so good, I'm surprised you've painted it.

J.

8. Nikozii

Nikozii What's a Dremel?

Thanks Joe!

I would guess it reduces max 15%, not much. Fans still feeling really powerful. :)

Yeah, wood looked good. I just wanted it black cause everything else in my table and table itself are black as well, so.. I still like it. I prefer this color "Coal", there is two layers of it. It makes it almost black.

9. Nikozii

Nikozii What's a Dremel?

Update 4.4 !

Finally something happens! :)

I got fans at Wednesday. To make sure nice tubing of watercooling, I ordered couple more 45-degree adapters as well.

[​IMG]

I sleeved fan wires.

[​IMG]

Then, I got mail from Germany!

[​IMG]

Absolutely awesome job. I just cant say anything bad about Nils's work.

I ordered crimping tool, black sleeve and crimp contacts. Blue sleeve is example. :)

[​IMG]

And today (Friday) I got package too, from China this time.
    MoDdiy delivered connectors for my PSU. Everything fits well, except another 24pin connector. It had couple connectors too much. That wasn't problem, I took wire cutters and knife and took those couple connectors off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here it is, it fits. I was talking about upper connector on left.

Then I took some wire. pieces of tape on old stand to make sure every cable is same length. 20 pieces 250mm long wires and three Y-wires.
    I found this tool on local hardware store, it was pretty cheap so I bought it. Is is so useful, especially with Y-wires.

[​IMG]

All the wires for 24pin ATX-connector.

[​IMG]

It did took own time to get used on crimping. But when I understand that, it goes well.
    This is what I got done in three hours.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will continue tomorrow with these cables! :thumb:

Remember to look out my last case. I get final pics done with it. DIY Project: BlackBox - FINAL PICS 2.4 !

10. Nikozii

Nikozii What's a Dremel?

Update 5.4 !

More cables! :)

[​IMG]

Doublemolex. Another is for lighting, another is for pump. I realized these cables look better without that small piece of sleeve.
    At PSU head most of cables haven't got sleeve, 24pin, 8pin, PCI-e's. And cause I split first molex, I would need to put heat shrink at this side..
    It was more difficult as I thought to make heat shrinkless sleeving. I made one example. :D

8pin EPS does not need more length at all. First I put 25mm long heat shrink on cable. Then I carefully cut sleeve and heated heat shrink with glue on it to make sure sleeve wont move. I cut down old connectors and put on new ones. :)
    I also did external cables for PCI-E -connectors. I might solder them and 24pin wires tomorrow.

This is how backside of case looks at this moment!

[​IMG]

Those couple P-clips I made myself. They are not very well done but they do their job.
    Package from ColdZero should came soon.. Package includes P-clips etc..

11. douglas alves

douglas alves Minimodder

Awesome job! Congrats!,.

12. Nikozii

Nikozii What's a Dremel?

Update 13.4 !

Nicely spammed Douglas. But thanks. :)

I feel like I would need to do more before posting pics.
    Here we have. I got package from Coldzero at start of week. I got missed Molex- and Sata- connectors and P-clips. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some wires still missing.

I mounted pump holder. I found 4mm thick rubber between panel and holder, but it was so hard stuff so I guess it doesn't lose vibration of pump at all. :D

[​IMG]

I made hole for window now. Same style as earlier, keyhole saw with metal blade, file and sandpaper.
    Right size piece of smoked acrylic, which I temporary mount with thick double sided tape. I have to buy better tape for this.

[​IMG]

I think edge of window doesn't look bad at all. If I dont need to paint this? :rolleyes:
    Buut, I would like to fill holes at side panel. And they need to be painted then. So If I paint that panel, I should paint all of them at same color..

[​IMG]

I put LED's on as well. Mount them with double sided tape. I thought I would buy plastidip and paint those white LED-lists with it. I used P-clips to mount LED wires at roof.

[​IMG]

Yea, I assembled fans and CPU too. :)

One more picture with windowed sidepanel.

[​IMG]

Window shows pretty much whole setup, only upper fan doesn't show. Well measured I think!

I should get aluminium for roof to replace plastic grill. At this moment I have no time to get some, cause I have to work so lately. I don't know when I got enough time for that.
    I also should dissemble water cooling from my current case. But then I should use integrated GPU and live without another screen. And be without gaming.. That is damn hard to do! :D

13. Ocelot

Ocelot Minimodder

Top notch cable management!

Why is the Aquaero missing its heatsink?

Last edited: 15 Apr 2014
  14. Nikozii

Nikozii What's a Dremel?

It's LT -version. It doesn't normally have screen or heatsink, as like XT- version have.
    I'll probably buy heatsink later. :rolleyes: