1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Deadpool: Merc with a Mouth (E-ATX In Win D Frame Mini)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by DBRichard, 19 Jun 2015.

1. DBRichard

DBRichard What's a Dremel?

It sure is sexy, also it's indeed a bit expensive but it's a good price to pay for something unique :D

Sadly the other side of the tray was being milled when there was a slight mistake/error, a new piece is being milled this weekend so I hope it to be on time for my trip.

Luckily I also had some good news this week that cheered me up a bit :) shouldn't be long before "it" gets here and I can show it :thumb:

2. DBRichard

Custom MB Tray Installed and SSD's fitted

So it finally came in yesterday, no time for quality pictures yet but I couldn't keep this for myself so here it is.

The backside with the channels, SSD cutouts and a little spot for my sponsors and something Deadpool which will be added in a later stage near completion :)
    [​IMG]

Only thing left to do on this side is to thread the holes for the 6-32 UNC stand offs I got from In Win (M3 stand offs where not available in the short thread length needed)
    [​IMG]

I could not have wished for a better fit with the SSD's, they still move enough to be pulled out with ease but also rock solid :)
    [​IMG]

This is it for now, today I fly to Insomnia and I'll be back on Monday evening, photo's made with the professional setup will be here halfway next week ;)

This weekend I am also naming two new sponsors that liked to support Project Deadpool (and upcoming) really excited for Insomnia even though this rig isn't playable :/

Hope you guys like it and more soon :thumb:

Last edited: 28 Aug 2015
  3. Icelander

Icelander Minimodder

those SSD were brilliantly positioned imo U sir are a true :dremel:

4. DBRichard

Thank you Icelander, I've put a lot of hours in the design hoping everything would be perfect, the SSD's fit perfectly and I really appreciate your comment :) people liking it makes this all worth the work

5. Zenator

Zenator Minimodder

Grate work with the milling. :thumb: love what you've done so far, It's looking sweet as. :D

6. DBRichard

Screw Thread Cutting and Hardware Test Fit

This build is now divided into two stages, the first being air, the build will be put together and in working order on air for testing and OC'ing before i continue and go on to stage two which is of course water, watercooling will be added and for that I am now designing a custom radiator and pump mount.

Okay now it is time for the actual update :D

It's been a while but finally the update I was looking forward to, in this update I test fitted all the hardware on the custom tray :)

I finally received my Thread cutters for 6-32 (the size that the stand offs use) and went straight to it.
    [​IMG]

I don't have any photo's of mounting the hardware because that's pretty basic and I was too enthusiast to think about it.

Here are some pictures that I made after everything was mounted, there are a lot more pictures but I won't post all of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've also put together another banner, this one I made myself, what's your opinion, which one should I use?
    [​IMG]

In this new banner you can also clearly see two new supporters of Project Deadpool, T-Grizzly and Cooler Master joined the project.

T-Grizzly sent out two Hydronaut kits for this and future projects, this is one of their High End Thermal Paste and comes with a special applying nozzle (called an Applicator) o_O can't wait to use it :D
    [​IMG]

Cooler Master is sponsoring a PSU, the V1000 to be specific and also two other things but I'll keep that for myself for now :)

Tell me your opinion about the current progress, even if you think something is off or did I forget to explain or mention something ?

Next update will probably have pictures of the modified SATA power connectors since they where 2 hairs too long and I need to make them a tiny bit shorter to have it fit and work :)

7. DBRichard

Power Supply Sleeving (Part 1)

Project Deadpool has been found worthy of a spot in the Mod of the Month (September) contest :D
    Now on to the update.

For some time there was no update, the reason was that I had to wait a little for the last package.
    Cooler Master didn't have everything in stock (especially the PSU) but when they finally had everything they got it over to me in record time :)

I have picked up a bobblehead Deadpool figure when I was at Firstlook (Dutch gaming event) so he will watch over me working on everything ;)
    [​IMG]

In the package was the final main hardware part, they sent over their V1200 PSU, the newly released Quickfire XTi keyboard, a Mizar mouse and also the Swift RX Large mouse mat to make the set complete :D
    [​IMG]

Everything for sleeving the cables is in, some Teleios Red and Black fusion sleeving, heatshrink for heatshrinkless style sleeving (yeah makes no sense), connectors, terminals, LC crimper, wire stripper, 18 AWG black wire (not in the picture) and some thinner white cables since the black wires are a tiny bit to thick for the grooves on the back and these are thinner so they'll be able to go in between.
    [​IMG]

Next week it will be time for me to burn my fingers sleeving the cables :D

In the meanwhile I also got two longer SATA data cables since the 30CM versions came short by 2-3 centimeters thanks to the layout change, these 50CM versions should do the trick.
    [​IMG]

8. alain-s

alain-s Minimodder

Hey Richard, Anything new happened ?

9. DBRichard

Yeah totally forgot about it due to some other stuff (building a new website, other casemods and work) but I'll take some good pics tomorrow and put it online this weekend :)

I did some cables, decided what to do with the watercooling and the SSD's are in place and fully operational.

Sorry for the long wait :(

10. rogergamer

rogergamer What's a Dremel?

holy **** that plate!

11. DBRichard

Some cables, a cover and a waterpack idea

The Deadpool rig was shown at an event so just before that I did a couple of cables like the custom SATA power, a yet incomplete 24 pin (almost done) and I was working on the GPU power cables but those didn't get close to finished in time.

Received two covers for the backside from the laser cutter, he messed up since the height of both covers wasn't on point but a little bit too big, since I was in a hurry I decided to sand down the edges a bit and then polish them on the right cover for the cables, that one worked, the other one didn't fit at all.

It has gotten a little bit busy with some other things including building a new website and another casemod but here is the current progress in pictures :)

Overall view
    [​IMG]

The SATA power and 8 pin CPU power cables put together in a spiral, it looks pretty good and I think I'll keep it like this and just add the 4 pin CPU power to the spiral.
    [​IMG]

The 24 pin cables going from the tray channels to the PSU
    [​IMG]

This sleeving looks so damn nice, I also curled the 24 pin cables like the SATA and CPU power and it just adds a nice rough look :)
    I'll also turn that CM grill on the PSU right side up since it is bugging me.
    [​IMG]

The SSD's nicely behind the acrylic cover, you can see how precise the fit is with the cables
    [​IMG]

Even though these are not all the 24 cables yet it gives a good idea how everything will look
    [​IMG]

The heatshrink on the SATA power cables became loose but that should be fixed easily
    [​IMG]

Had a chat with someone from ASUS at the event where the Deadpool build was set up, I told him I wasn't going to watercool the motherboard since I liked the I/O cover too much and didn't want to take mine apart, so he offered to send me one to take apart, seems like MB watercooling is back on the menu.

It arrived and I wasn't sure if it would be soldered together or if I would have to grab my dremel to cut it away, apparently it just slides into place and they glued it, just twist and then pull it out, it's not that hard to remove :) (don't know why I haven't seen it done anywhere else)
    [​IMG]

I've been working on idea's for the radiator, pump and reservoir setup/mounts for weeks, 2 weeks ago I had 5 idea's pretty much worked out.
    1. Waterpack: mounted on the backside, 2x 240mm rad and a powerful pump/res combo all put inside a custom designed aluminium mount.
    2. External tower: A completely separate tower with quick disconnect.
    3. A pedestal mount: A big aluminium sheet bend into an upside down U shape with two rad mounts and a pump/res mount in the middle between the rads

The other two where different versions of 2 and 3 so I won't go too much into those

I made some drawings and worked some out in 3D but they all looked way too large to use with such a small case except for the waterpack idea so that's what I'm going for, I'm already working on the 3D design to have it cut :) will post it when it's done.

I don't know when the next update will be since I got a lot to do at the moment but I hope to show the 3D model soon.

12. DBRichard

Not yet the waterpack design update but I did receive the coolants that I will use.

Mayhems Aurora 2 Silver and X1 Blood Red will be mixed together
    [​IMG]

I did a little test and it looks good, not exactly like I want it but I'll get a Deep Red Dye and Silver Booster for when I put it in the loop so I can make some adjustments ;)
    [​IMG]

13. Gaoske

Gaoske What's a Dremel?

Turning out really nice this one! Richard, where did you get your sleeving? Trying to find myself about 50 MTR of black (and maybe partly red) as well so Highflow is really too expensive...

14. DBRichard

Got it from E22, Teleios Black and Red Fusion

15. DBRichard

I'm back with another update, back in January I was working on the Radiator Pack and the image below shows how that came to look (there were still mounts to add)
    [​IMG]

Sadly recently the company that would fabricate the bend tubing replied to me saying their machines can not handle the small diameter tubing so I am forced to put this back in the fridge and start a new design for the watercooling parts.

More as soon as I have something to show