1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Hangar 101 [Updated 4/2 *Final update - Final pics*]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Sleepstreamer, 24 Jul 2006.

1. Sleepstreamer

Sleepstreamer I modded christmas!

Those are the devices that'll make the two external drive bays working. I'll integrate these adapters at the bottom of each bay. Since they have a hotswap function, changing drives will be a breeze! They are connected via USB2.

Last edited: 18 Nov 2006
  2. alonso_bistro

alonso_bistro I'm just looking

definitly one of my favs.. very good job.

3. customh

customh conflagration.

That will be a bottleneck to the drives, I'd think about just doing SATA, since it is hotswap too, and much faster..

4. Sleepstreamer

Yeah, I've thought about it.... But since they're only going to be used as "backup-storage", I think USB2 will be fast enough.

5. customh

customh conflagration.

Still, why not SATA, you wouldn't have said adapter thingys in the middle. And it is cheaper.

6. Sleepstreamer

Problem is I don't have any spare matx mobos with SATA ports to use with them! Maybe if I get hold of a new mobo, or if I'll sell it after completion, I'll convert the bays to sata, while it is'nt a very complex operation.

7. elliod

elliod What's a Dremel?

great project man and i take my hat to you you are a real pro .
    do you already know whats going on the case and what are you going to use for colling (it would look sick whit WC imo ) .
    keep up the good work.

8. Evil-Inc-UK

Evil-Inc-UK What's a Dremel?

Dude all i can say is are you sure pc modding is your calling and not something like robot wars lol this case rules.... very impressed and look forward to seeing more of this one.

Good luck

9. LoveJoy

LoveJoy What's a Dremel?

Mmm mmm, tasty ;)

10. Jeroenotje

Jeroenotje What's a Dremel?

Great project! Great design, looks so damn cool. Well done! Keep on going like that. What hardware are you going to put in it?
    About that milling machine? Is that a Isert/Isel or something? I once programmed a whole machine, looks pretty much the same, I could send some pics. Together with a talented programmer I wrote a complete driver, to plot HPGL files (outputted by PCB design programs, AutoCAD, EPS files). Great stuff, so if you need any help, just PM or so. I even cleaned the whole machine, I took every part from it to clean and putted it all back together. It's still working :D . How are you running that machine? I'm planning to write a new driver, that is more compatible.

11. Sleepstreamer

Yeah, that's exactly right... It's an Isert/Isel :) I bought it for about two months ago, for a staggering $80 :hip: I'm using Galaad V3 software (http://www.galaad.net) to control it. Just import yer dxf files :rock: :D What I'll put in it? Um, whatever I have to spare actually. We'll see...

Last edited: 20 Nov 2006
  12. JAxen

JAxen What's a Dremel?

Hey.. Nicelly doned getting on front page dude! :thumb:

13. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Thirded :thumb: I just wish more things used orange LEDS (I personally prefer it to blue, red, or green - though green is my second choice)

14. Tyinsar

On your Cold Fusion mod I commented that, while it was a very nice looking mod, it was still basically a skin on a case. This time, however, you have taken it to a whole other level :thumb: :clap: This mod kind of reminds me of Awesome sculpture / mod called the Temple of Nod Maybe it's just the shape and the use of aluminum & plexi but I'd say this is at that level. My only complaint request is that I'd like to see more internal details in the log (such as the hard drive connections others wanted more on too). :jawdrop: AWESOME Work man!

15. Sleepstreamer

Thanks! Yeah I will! The reason they are'nt in the log yet, is beacause I haven't made them yet :D I've just made the cages the drives will be in. As I said earlier, two ide-usb adapters will soon arrive, and when they do, I'll give you guys a very thourough walkthrough. The shape is actually insipired from the Warp core in "Star-Trek Enterprize".

16. Tyinsar

Using USB you might need to integrate some way to cut the power to the USB interface & the drive - if the interface stays "live" it won't hot-swap properly (at least that was my experience). Also it would be good to power down the drives and let them stop spinning before pulling them.

17. Sleepstreamer

There, time for an update. Some of the images are a bit crappy, since my camera is'nt very talented in taking pictures in dark places.

The rear of the case. 2mm Aluminium.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After some cutting with the jigsaw.
    [​IMG]

Fitted
    [​IMG]

Plus some orange acrylic behind it.
    [​IMG]

Time to fit the 1U psu I'm using. I'm milling a aluminium plate to fit it on.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cutting openings for the psu in the orange acrylic.
    [​IMG]

Done! It'll also be brushed later on.
    [​IMG]

Left to to, is to make holes for all the connections.

//Sleepstreamer

Last edited: 20 Nov 2006
  18. trailblazer

trailblazer What's a Dremel?

Awesome engineering, nice work !

19. elliod

elliod What's a Dremel?

amazing work dude i wish i had the same skills that you do (and tools).
    keep up the good work.

20. Sleepstreamer

Yup, I'm going to be able to cut the power to the drives. When it comes to shutting down the interface, the windows "Safely Remove Hardware" function should do the trick.