1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project:PipBoy 8000 PICS FIXED! 56K warn|big (?) update 06/28|*vfd help needed!!!!!*

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by EdHunTer, 10 May 2004.

?

What fangrill to use for the front fan?

1. origi fan grill as seen on the first pics

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  2. a piece of the mesh in front on the vacuum tubes

18 vote(s)
    72.0%
  1. Rexxie

Rexxie What's a Dremel?

Ouch, thought I was going to be the first one with a fallout case :p
    Been planning a fallout case for a while now.

Nice work mate! Fallout = win.

2. vonkaar

vonkaar What's a Dremel?

Yes. Each tube displays 0 through 9.
    like:
    [​IMG]

3. EdHunTer

EdHunTer What's a Dremel?

vonkaar:
    how large are these tubes? could you give me a link to the manufacturer or something ?

4. John5000

John5000 What's a Dremel?

Hi...

Most common tubes use 6 Volts on the heater to make the glow.

Do you have the tubes you´re going to use? - I can help you with the pinouts if you´re interested...

Looking promising - Keep it up...

John5000

5. EdHunTer

Okay so here are 3 more renders this will be somewhat the final look just add rust to this and few minors things if all goes well i'll install the hdd to it's final place and place the green cathodes inside the case. :D

about the tubes:

John5000 i'd appreciate the help but i didn't have time to dig out the old radio from my garage which's tubes i'm gonna pull ( i used to know all bout tubes when i was round 10 but i didn't excercise my tube system repairing skills too often so i forgot :()

Ooops i forgot to add the pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

blame these on my sucky 3D skillz :p

Last edited: 29 May 2004
  6. John5000

John5000 What's a Dremel?

OK - If you need some pinouts later, just drop me a line...

7. -SilentNight-

-SilentNight- Hardcore pro gamer

nice i like this

8. EdHunTer

sigh...
    well this certainly wasn't a fine day for modding...
    ok day starts shops open i go for the ccfls no ccfls... i have to wait till next week
    ok i ca bear with that now i decided to change the hdd tpo a 2.5" one which will fit better in the case so i go out looking for one used (of course with no luck at all...) so i go back to the same shop (where i ordered the ccfls) and MIRACLE! i can go and get the new hdd tomorrow :D (Knock on wood (you know i like that souuuund..))
    good thing is i managed to sell a ****load of old and outdated pc parts today so i have some cash to do some extra stuff
    also i went out looking for some sort of "rust"-paint but with no luck the last shop i was in told me of a place that possibly has it but by the time i got there it was all closed up
    but i DID manage to buy some masking tape and a ****load of cut-off wheels for my Ferm Dremel-copy.

so no real update today.

BTW if anyone has a 3.5 to 2.5 IDE cable transformer for sale (possibly cheap) i eagerly await your email personal message or post here or contact me via IRCnet's #Pinball

Last edited: 12 May 2004
  9. EdHunTer

today is a good day for moddin :)

I have finished the PSU enclosure, bought the 2.5 hdd and managed to get an adapter for it. I'll test all the power lines of the psu today and put the case together. pics and more detailed info tonight...

10. EdHunTer

Update time!

Okay so i took some pics system is booting but i messed up the fan systems wiring somewhere cos the psu doesn't come on when it's plugged in so i'm just about to look into that.

Nyway i tought you wanted some pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is the 20 gig 2.5 fujitsu hdd i bought (i even had some trouble fitting this inside :))

[​IMG]

the ide to mini ide converter set

[​IMG]

a pic of the hdd with the converter installed

[​IMG]

and yes it fits!

now abput the psu enclosure the lighting is still missing (no ccfls no lighting :()
    [​IMG]

enclosure open

[​IMG]
    closed

I got fed up with all those small connectors that you have to connect separately like the power switch the hdd led and stuff so i improvized

take an old floppy cable slice it
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

wire up the cables correctly
    [​IMG]

and put some hot glue on the connector so as it won't fall apart and voila
    [​IMG]
    all small connectors in one

will have more pics still tonite

Happy moddin :dremel:

Last edited: 29 May 2004
  11. EdHunTer

err tell me does this suck so much or am i not doing enuf? why are there so little comments ? :waah:

12. AlaskanModder

AlaskanModder What's a Dremel?

Looks good to me =-) like the case design, and how you are able to squeeze it all in there... in relation to say a soda can how big is it?

13. EdHunTer

it's about 2.5 coke tins high :)bout as high as a 2l bottle (standard atx mobo height +1-2 cm :) and you have no idea how stuffy it is in the case no wonder it needs 5 fans to keep the internal temps under 40°c :)

14. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

Looks pretty cool, I'm just wondering about the antenna coming out the top. Is it for wireless networking or something? It might be cool to has a pulsing red led on the top kinda like on radio towers or something, might help with the military feel of the case. I like the idea for the front with mixing the old tubes and a modern looking vfd up top. The final product looks pretty cool, small yet interesting with all the different features built in.

15. EdHunTer

well actually the antenna is just going to be there for the looks (if i took it out there would be a hole in the case because the original antenna holder was there) and also i'm not sure i'll be able to squeeze in the vfd since noritake still hasn't contacted me with any prices or shipping info it's been almost 2 weeks now :waah: and i decided to drop futaba because the 2*16 char alphanumeric vfd costs as much as a 128*64 dot graphic noritake :wallbash:

16. EdHunTer

Heh i forgot whyt kind of filler material do you suggest for filling up srewholes ? :confused: there are some in the front panel that i won't need and i'd like to fill them up before painting so they won't be visible. I thought of putting in small screws and putting a nut to the uther side but then there would be way too many screws on the front.

17. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

Maybe if all your pics didn't have "Bandwidth Exceeded" on them, you might get some more replies. I think its pretty good, but I'm looking forward to you fitting the Nixie tubes, or really just any old tubes that might glow when you power up....And make that analogue needle do something when you power up aswell. Too good to waste... :clap:

18. EdHunTer

well if you read the first post you'll see that the analogue meter monitors hdd or network activity selectable by the switch beside it and about the pics i just noticed that so i'll have to find some alternative img hosting any good ideas ? (i need it till i have my server online again (which could take ages ...:()

19. naelq

naelq What's a Dremel?

WTF?! :miffed: all i'm getting is this:
    [​IMG]
    :waah: :waah: :waah:

20. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Whoa, never seen that...how many pics did you upload to photobucket.com to exceed 2,500megs of bandwidth???