1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Radical Fusion [10th June 07] Finishing the windows

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Bas van der Werff, 17 Apr 2007.

?

What to do with the grill???

1. Paint the mesh and polish or chrome the grill.

28 vote(s)
    82.4%
  2. Do it the other way around.

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. And other nice idea.

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. Bas van der Werff

Bas van der Werff What's a Dremel?

Hide the PSU's backside.

Hi Guys!

After doing alot of work on the windows i took a break and decided to pay a visit to the hardware store to get some stuff i needed.
    But as always when i'm in a hardware store i wonder around in there just to look for inspiration or for stuff i could use in this or future projects.
    And i found something that i think was perfect.

As you may remember i wanted to place the PSU's 2cm back in the case so i could make 2 identical backsides to make it look more as they are meant to be there but that didn't work the way i wanted.
    So i dropped the idea, and went to do other things, untill i would figure out how to do it.

At the moment the backside of the PSU area looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    And with the PSU's in place it just wouldn't have looked good, they have different backsides and offcourse there would be 2 mains cable coming out.

The problem of the mains cables is allready taken care off by rerouting them through the case to the bottom.
    But i still had to hide the original backsides.

And now comes the "thing" in place what i found in the hardware store:
    [​IMG]
    This is just taped in place for the photo.

It's a aluminium ventilation grill and the size is just perfect for the case, it hides to orginal backsides and also it still gives ventilation to them :D
    And with some nice countersunk hexheads and matt black paint it will look very good (i think)

Also i recieved a aquaero for this project and i put it into my current rig for testing (read playing with it)
    When i was installing it the side panels offcourse had to come off when i did the i discovered that the backside off the mobo tray becomes rather hot.
    I know this comes from the stack cool ability that ASUS motherboards have.

If you don't know what it is, stack cool is a special layer on the backside of your mobo that "draws" away the heat from the other (components) side wich should prolong the lifespan of your motherboard.

Anyway i don't like it that it gets so hot on that side, i know it won't do any harm but i just dont want it, offcourse it's just an excuse to do some more modding :dremel:
    I have some very thin and quiet fan's on they way and this is the perfect place for them to use, i think later today i'll post a design of what i'm going to do.

Hope you like my solution for the PSU's?
    Comments are very welcome.

Regards, Bas van der Werff.

Last edited: 7 Jun 2007
  2. Bas van der Werff

Close a poll?

Hi Guys!

Could someone tell me how to close a poll?

3. Bas van der Werff

Window cutting

Hi Guys!

The work on the windows is done, with some alterations of the design :hip:
    To bad i still have to make some more photo's of it, anyway here are the first stages of the windows.

The first victim (right side top panel)
    [​IMG]
    The panel with the old name off the project in it, so much work for nothing :waah: i did save it, it's now hanging on the wall of my mod space :cooldude:

The second victim (left side top panel)
    [​IMG]
    At both the top and bottom of this panel a fairly wide edge wich will stay, the top has nothing to show (radiator compartment) and the bottom part will be seen when you stand or sit next to it.

The thirth victim (left side bottom panel)
    [​IMG]
    The top has a fairly small edge because i want to see my nice PSU with no wires :hip: the bottom is also seen sitting or standing next to it.

The fourth victim (right side bottom panel)
    [​IMG]
    Nope this one stays uncut, for the project name on that side it isn't necessary to do that so why mess up an panel, and sometimes less is more :)

As you noticed i dropped the mesh parts on the left side, it was just to much.
    And also after taking more accurate measurements the mesh part would have been just a small strip and that didn't look good, only in real life you can see if your design works :)

Later today i'll post pictures of the cutting and the "finished" windows when i find the photo's that is.

Hope you like it!
    Anyone comments or questions about it, also do you guys like the idea for hiding the PSU?

4. jegerjon

jegerjon What's a Dremel?

Nice work bas, can't wait to we see the monster taking sharpe! Keep modding :hip:

5. Bas van der Werff

Window cutting part II

Hi Guys!

I found the photo's of the window cutting, they where were they always are if i can't find them, still on my camera :blush:
    So here are the after cutting photo's.

Right side top panel:
    [​IMG]

Left side top panel:
    [​IMG]

Left side bottom panel:
    [​IMG]

The cut outs:
    [​IMG]

And the old logo which has taken some damage:
    [​IMG]

At first i wanted to use the dremel because of its precision and it does a nice job on the soft aluminium but that takes ages and to much of those cutting discs.
    So after some thinking and cutting a test piece i went with the angle grinder with a thin blade and that went through the aluminium like a hot knife through butter :hip:

So here is a tip from me, if you want to make a window and have a steady hand use an angle grinder it goes extremly fast and if you do it right it almost need no filling.

Hope you guys like it! at the moment i'm cutting out the plexi and mesh i need to complete the windows also i'm thinking of how to fix them screws (m3 black hexheads) or very strong doublesided tape (tape of the gods).

Last edited: 7 Jun 2007
  6. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

looking good keep it up :thumb:

7. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

wow your window looks great

8. Koradhil

Koradhil What's a Dremel?

What's so great about it ?

9. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

they look like nice, clean, straight cuts

10. Dean MF

Dean MF PC Freak!

11. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

I agree with Beast!

12. Bas van der Werff

Radiator compartment

Thanks and indeed they are very straight because with an angle grinder it's easy to follow an line and it doesn't go off track because of the big blade it has.

Anyway i recieved a lot of stuff yesterday, so i could work on some other parts of the design.

In the top of the case i want to have this:
    [​IMG]

Two 80mm fan's (green) will suck in fresh air from outside and blow that into the radiator compartment (yellow)
    Then the 120mm fan's on top of the radiator (pink) will suck the fresh air throught the radiator and blow the hot air outside.

The compartment is the space above the mobo tray it will be closed on the sides and bottom to create a compartment.
    The bottom plate will have a ventilation grill to draw some hot air out of the case through the radiator.
    And with the two 80mm fan's on the back and the ventilation grill in the bottom plate the (probably) three 120mm fan's wil get enough air to cool the radiator.

These are the two 80mm fan's temporarily fit into place for some measurments:
    [​IMG]
    But as you can see the standard plate has some ugly holes so i'll fabricate a new one :dremel: the standard fangrills will return because of their design.

Any questions remarks about it? i would like to hear it :D

13. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Nice work, clean cuts indeed! :thumb:

14. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

nice work keep the updates coming! :thumb:

15. jegerjon

jegerjon What's a Dremel?

I would have done the same. Keep it up :dremel:

16. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

Nice work Bas, it's starting to take shape now. Keep the updates coming.

17. Bas van der Werff

Thanks guys :thumb:

I'm doing my best to keep them coming :)
    But i'm also moving house, fortunately my new home is a 2 min walk from here :D
    I do have a question for you franklin, you are also going to create a separate compartment with your radiators, is it completely sealed of from the rest of the case?

Tomorrow i'll probably make an update about the sidepanels, keep tuned for more.

18. ./^\.Ace./^\.

./^\.Ace./^\. What's a Dremel?

Well that thing is tall :D I guess you are putting it on the floor insted of the table :hehe: that is a lot of work, and I am amazed by your efford but is it to much :confused: A key pad :confused: OK I could see you using one if you were going to a lan party but how would you get that thing to a party, it's to big :hehe:

19. Bas van der Werff

Indeed it wil be on the floor, if i would put ti no my desk it would be as tall as me :lol:
    The keypad i had lying around and that just fits the whole industrial theme/look:) i don't go to lan's, maby after i finish this one, but then i have got a really nice surprise for everyone.

Talking about to large to handle, cleaning out some junk from my computer i found some photo's and a video i just had to share :D

So what happens when you buy a very big case like the coolermaster stacker, but forget that you came by bicycle.
    Then you would have to walk with it, but also having no bagage rack on the back further complicates it :duh:
    Fortunately i bought it together with an mate and he could make photo's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a small video:
    [​IMG]

Hope like it :lol:
    Now i'm of to do some modding :dremel:

Also you may ask yourself why not order online, i live near a very big "market" and the prices there are much lower there even lower than an onlinestore.
    For the dutch guys, you probably know the "zwarte markt" that's where i got it :)

Regards, Bas van de Werff.

Last edited: 10 Jun 2007
  20. Koradhil

Koradhil What's a Dremel?

Lol that is funny, really dutch :)