1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Soylent Green: 2006 FIN:

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modsquad, 19 Oct 2004.

1. customh

customh conflagration.

Freakin' awesome, the clear windows are really sweet although I think the side should be smoked... Keep 'er up in '07 MS, I'll be watchin'!

2. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Thanks one-and-all.. (welcome to 2007)..
    I am happy with the FIN-look of the machine (as is it's owner)..
    I have built a few machines in my day, but this one was just-- :wallbash:
    It truly had a mind of it's own..
    DVD drives the chewed-up disks, pumps that did not fit under videocards. Then leaked when they did fit, the list goes on-and-on.. Work at my SlaughterHouse, pack everything up and take it to the owners home--only to pack it up again and return to my location and then back to it's owners home.. :rolleyes:
    BUT- things happen for a reason: (case in point):
    (2) years ago, after unpacking the SilverStone case--we came to the conclusion
    that the finish "sucked" and needed to be repainted. A simple repaint in black was the original-idea..But it ended up with custom airbrushed green skulls and fogging.. Would it have been the same FIN if the case was stock-black? ....
    Well- the ramblings of a madman..
    Thanks-one and all..

@greeny: If you mean the DVD drive, I used "rattle-can" Krylon flat-black..
    dries in (15) minutes.. :thumb:

Last edited: 2 Jan 2007
  3. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

Modsquad, question: Is it possible to swap the original broken DVD drive cover with the new one? That could prove.. shiny.

4. exo²

exo² What's a Dremel?

nice case
    well done
    onley one thing i don't like is the green en the blue together
    but you dit good work

5. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

if the finish were left as it was from factory (brushed matt style finish) and you hadnt of done the awesome paintjob on it, i feel that it would be missing most if not a very large chunk of its character, the paintjob gives the outside a real "freaky" almost hotrod like style theme, with the addition of a fork cap to the res, adds even more to the black and chrome theme, if you hadve just left the case in its standard trim, then you'd have a bad-ass looking case, but nowhere near as bad-ass as it looks painted with skulls etc.

i take it all this hassle means you wont be doing customer cases any more :eek:

mustve been alot more hassle than just working on your own computer, and also riskier (moving the computer constantly)

anyhow, nice job on the case

6. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

I agree. It would not be the same machine W/O the airbrush-work, in fact it's very-name came from the apple-green skulls. That just shows how projects (at least mine) evolve. You start with a plan and things change and evolve until FIN, many-times. I like to just "do what I see in my minds eye" and not plan every detail. The skull-graphics are a good example. I knew it would be green-skulls and the general area I wanted to airbrush, but after that I just started painting. Even the green-color, it was a "eyeball" mix of pearl-white,candy-apple green and transparent lime green. I could not match that color again if I tried.. :hehe:
    As far doing another machine for someone other than myself, sure I would and will. BUT, not without more control. I had a "all but free hand" as far as design, but $$ and location. I will never-attempt to build another machine on the road..If I had to guess that added a good- (3) months to the build-time.
    I would start another customer-project tommorrow. BUT:
    "My shop, my vision"..
    I spoke with SG's owner today. The machine is runnin' great and with any-luck I should finish the DVD-cover on Monday or Tuesday. My final road-trip..A few more pictures will follow ASAP..
    MS

7. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Sound extremely interesting! :D

Can't wait to see your new project!

8. xDamonWolfx

xDamonWolfx What's a Dremel?

Hey, I know its been a while, but for the black acrylic sheet, where did you get that? I looked under the AC ryan but found nothing, some help would be appreciated!