1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU PSU recommendations: Is 850 enough for this?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RagingMadman, 27 Apr 2014.

1. RagingMadman

RagingMadman What's a Dremel?

I currently have an OCZ ZX 850 (yeah I know....) I got it for roughly 1/2 off before the company **** the bed.

Anyways, I currently have the setup in my signature running off my 850.
    Here in lies the problem, I'm pretty sure I'm stupid enough to buy a 3rd in the near future.
    I am already strapped for connectors so I'm definitely wanting a new PSU simply for connectors as well as I'm pretty sure 3 cards will be pushing the wattage if not break it.
    Also, I plan on running a custom loop within the not so distant future, so I'm not sure what draw will be for a tri sli setup + a 4770k + a custom loop.

I've seen a lot going on about rail count on PSUs, can someone elaborate on this?
    Also, can someone recommend a PSU? I'm seeing things like the EVGA supernova 1300w gold that will support tri sli but it has 1 rail (which with that amount of power I've hear multiple rails are necessary). I think so par aside from the rail count i'm leaning towards this PSU.
    Not to mention the 10 year warranty. :D

I think $300 USD is my max budget.
    I love learning new things so feel free to dump any information pertaining to this on me :D

2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

If you go tri SLI (though it's not worth it in my view on a cost to benefit) plus a hefty pump for watercooling then you certainly would be potentially pushing the current PSU very close to 100% load in certain scenarios. In that case I think a 1k would be just right as to have some overhead. The evga PSU G2 series are very highly regarded so it's probably a great choice.
    As far as rails go, I don't think it really matters as long as the amperage is right. Multi rails were a big deal for awhile but I have noticed a lot of the 'top' PSU going back to only dual or single rails.

3. MrTeal

MrTeal Minimodder

If you want a multi +12V rail PSU, then basically your only choices are Enermax and Antec. And both those brands have decent choices in the 850-1200W range.

Some people prefer single +12V rail PSUs because there has been a lot of FUD spread about regarding how they are more easily compatible with multi GPU rigs, but a well designed multi +12V rail unit won't have any problems with compatibility.

Whereas other people refuse to use single +12V rails, especially when reaching 1kW+, because they think it is safer in terms of having working/useful OCP. However again it is a case of taking each unit on its merits and a well designed single +12V rail unit won't be more 'dangerous' than a poorly designed multi +12V unit.

Good guide/thread discussing what 'rails' are and the pros and cons of each:
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3990

EVGA's SuperNOVA G2 units are amongst the best price/performance ratio units around at the moment, so definitely a good choice. However be aware that you only get 10 years of warranty if you register the product within 30 days of purchase.

Last edited: 27 Apr 2014
    RagingMadman likes this.
  4. RagingMadman

RagingMadman What's a Dremel?

Thank you! I really appreciate the help!