1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Samsung SH-S223Q drive doesnt stay open

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by harvy, 31 Mar 2013.

1. harvy

harvy Minimodder

Good Evening all,

I have a SH-S223Q dvd burner which wont stay open when i press the eject button. It pops out, and then back in again straight away. Same when i select eject from windows (My Computer)

I've tried new drivers, new install of windows xp, new install of windows 7, ive tried the drive in a different machine, and I've updated the firmware to the latest i could find...

Sort of chucking it, any ideas of what could be causing it to do so?
    Sometimes it wont open instead of closing quickly.

I've also tried different SATA cables as well...

And if it makes any difference i had two SATA drives installed when this started to happen, both have the same problem. both are Samsung drives but slightly different models - one was lightscribe the other wasn't.

Any help is appreciated!

2. woody_294

woody_294 Wizard Ninja :P

This used to happen with a couple of drives I had. It was when it was shoved closed a little too hard and it went a couple of teeth in on the eject drive. I think what I did is opened it then held it open until it gave up trying to close it then close it with the button. I think I was because the drive didn't think it was opening all the way l, that something was stopping it, so it closed again. Hope that helps

3. harvy

harvy Minimodder

So i guess i'll be cracking one open to have a look!!! :clap:

4. harvy

harvy Minimodder

So I opened up the drive last night, no sign of any broken teeth in the gears, plugged it in to test and on this drive i now see the following!:

Press eject: drive comes out
    Wait a few secs and it sometimes goes back in, other times stays out...

If it stays out, when i press the button to close, it closes about 1cm, and then opens again... press it again and it closes, sometimes re-opens!

Any idea's as to how to reset it back so it thinks its fully open when it is, and closed when it is closed?

5. woody_294

woody_294 Wizard Ninja :P

I'm afraid I don't have a clue how to set it up right, the only thing I can think of is trial and error, colour in a tooth on each gear and use them as reference points maybe? I guess this must all seem a faff and it would probably be easier to get a couple of new ones, but working at something for a while and getting it right is it's own reward!
    Of course there could be a microswitch end stop which the tray touches, in which case it's just getting it to touch it just right when closed.

6. harvy

harvy Minimodder

no worries, yea it will be a case of replacing i think...

The drives weren't that overly used - the light scribe one hasn't even burnt a light scribe yet!!! Guess i was just hoping to get a few more uses out of them!!! O well, Blue Ray me thinks!