1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Scan.co.uk and returns

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by giskard, 7 Jan 2010.

1. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

The issue is that, scansure HAS done what its meant to, and it is 'as it seems', Now you broke the item, which meant you couldnt have sent it back anyway. Luckily you took the insurance against this so scan are replacing the item you broke.

Id still like to know what case you have that doesnt fit the rad for the H50?

2. giskard

giskard System builder

It's an Antec P193 and the sidepanel fan interferes with any CPU cooler that's taller than around 140mm (or so I think) - I've asked Antec for the max cooler height that can be accomodated but haven't heard anything from them.

In the case of the H50, the rad also interferes with the side-panel fan.

Other than removing the fan (not a realistic option) or shaving 10mm or so off the rear end of the side panel fan casing, CPU cooling choices are quite restricted with the P193.

3. Oclocker

Oclocker What's a Dremel?

I have read your posts & you are guilty of whinging in the extreme. You had a point if Scan did advise wrongly, but rather than using your brain cells to realise that, you stuffed it up by damaging goods. And you think Scan should rescue you? If Scan did so they'd be messing with the insurance policy you activated. As soon as you screwed up you accepted the goods & glad Scan are treating this correctly.

& to be accused of being a Scan Fan boy is priceless given my past history. Your giving some credence to Aussies calling us Whinging poms! Take responsibility - take returned goods etc sell em / take loss move on.

4. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I would have to agree with that we all make mistakes thats how we learn its time to move on.

5. tipz69

tipz69 What's a Dremel?

I have to agree. You broke the item, voiding any DSA protection you had.

Scansure has at least let you replace the item like for like, saving you from getting nothing for your money.

It would cost them less to replace it than refund you the full price of the item. Remember scan don't buy anything at the price they sell it for, they have profit margins. Try asking for less money in place of a replacement.

At the end of the day, worst comes to worst, you get a free replacement to sell on! :D

6. Locknload

Locknload Jolly Good Egg

I don't see what your beef is your inexperience has messed up.
    I say this after i see under your name "Aspiring system builder".

It was your fault, they are treating you very well in my opinion.

Get the item they send as a replacement and either use it or sell it.

You may not be cut out for system building if this is the fuss you cause by your own skills (shortage).

G'day.

I love Scan, they are very fair.......infact i will be reordering soon with them

7. giskard

giskard System builder

You seem to read an awful lot into my original post.

I wouldn't say they're treating me very well but they are treating me fairly and have been helpful (thanks to me buying the Scansure policy). I'll most likely use Scan again in future.

"Aspiring system builder" was a self-deprecating term; it doesn't mean I'm a complete amateur - I used to work as an computer/electronics service engineer for a number of years so I do know what I'm doing; the H50 fitting kit contains two sets of near-identical screws with two slightly different threads (you wouldn't notice unless you examined it very carefully), which isn't mentioned anywhere in the instructions, and I was unlucky enough to use one of the screws with the wrong thread, which seized in the female thread and caused the damage. This could've happened to anyone, even you.

And what fuss?

You're not very constructive are you? Surely the purpose and spirit of these forums is to help and encourage (not that I need it) people wanting to build their own systems, rather than dismissing them as "not cut out for it"?

Think about it and base your responses on what you actually know rather than what you assume or think you know.

8. Oclocker

Oclocker What's a Dremel?

As its bit-tech can I just plead with you to just give it a rest? chill out on all viewpoints? best of luck etc.

9. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

Giskard, it does appear your well-meaning thread attracted a couple of hijackers that see fit to bait you. Just ignore them.

Did you get that letter written? Or did the advice from some of the guys earlier regarding trying to fit the rad a different way help?

10. giskard

giskard System builder

After doing the math, I've decided against appealing to Scan.

I've now got the replacement H50 which I might use in my system when I start the serious OC'ing - there are a couple of workarounds to make it fit which involve various degrees of case modding or maybe I'll just try to sell it on ebay.

11. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

Good to hear. I'm sure if you had of appealed it may have gone your way because at the end of the day they are very reasonable. Even so, I know from previous bad-buying decisions, brand new equipment on eBay usually fetches a good price.

12. Fazed

Fazed Minimodder

@giskard

If you're looking to offload that H50, PM me a price.

13. giskard

giskard System builder

I haven't seen any H50s for auction on ebay so I can't guage how much they fetch, but the "buy it now" brigade sell them for around £70 new. Be interesting to find out...

14. giskard

giskard System builder

Will do if I decide to sell it but it probably won't be very soon.

Right now I'm just wrapping up my system build with an AC Freezer Pro 7 cooler which I'll stick with for now, but I will OC sometime in the near future, at which point I'll probably need to use the H50 (with a bit of modding of the P193's side panel) or some other high performance cooler that'll fit my case.

I'm interested to see how far I can reliably OC with the AC Freezer Pro though. I'm also interested in knowing how many H50 users have encountered coolant leaks or other serious failures - there's at least one mentioned in the Corsair forums.

15. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Ive had mine running for about 4 months 24/7, and havent had any problems at all, I suppose if the tubes had an extreme bend in them then over time that could cause issues, but mines just nice gentle bends.

16. Fazed

Fazed Minimodder

Bit of a hijack here, but have a Q about Scan's warranty terms.

If somebody purchases an item from scan then sells it to me a month or so later, do I inherit any residual warranty?

Ta

17. giskard

giskard System builder

You'd still have the manufacturers warranty which for some products is 3 - 5 years.

18. 1Razor

1Razor Living life one day at a time....

I think you'll find that legally you do not, because that person has then become a re-seller, voiding any original warranty available!

Caveat Emptor

19. giskard

giskard System builder

That's true. The only way around that would be for the re-seller to make a warranty claim on your behalf.

Any warranty with Scan would be for a year, beyond that you'd reliant on any exended manufacturers warranty.

20. ChrisP

ChrisP Retail Sales Manager

I can confirm that goods damaged cannot be returned under the DSR regulations as the end user is under a duty of care, the Scansure policy entitles the end user to a like for like replacement only, however, the original DSR rights will still have been rescinded by the end user damage.

Best Regards