1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Server Stand

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by 500mph, 2 Jan 2009.

1. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

So I recently decided I wanted the matching printer stand to go with my desk. Not as a printer stand, but as my networking center. I had a 32 port 2u patch panel laying around as well and a 24port switch and figured I could make it an all in one, with the switch and power strip hidden.

[​IMG]
    This is how it was standing. Notice there was supposed to be a cabinet/drawer there, but I would never use it. So I was going to fine a piece of wood to use the slider rails on, but the back panel for the drawer worked perfectly.

[​IMG]
    Here's the rest of the drawer. It's hiding a random sub. Also, my new camera has 12x optical zoom and I took this from my chair.

[​IMG]
    I had an ATX board laying around(thanks to tranc3) so I threw it in there to see how it fits.

[​IMG]
    I slid it out and it seems a bit to big. Hmm..

[​IMG]
    Here's a mAtx board(thanks to my girlfriends dad) and a 3.5 and 2.5 hdd for comparison. I was considering sitting them next to the board, but I didnt like the fit.

[​IMG]
    A standard ATX PSU fits perfect! I traded my Antec 500w for this Antec 450w for a friend. The 450w has more connectors.

[​IMG]
    I have this neat little thing from a desktop case from a long time ago(Originally a Pentium)

[​IMG]
    I decided not to use it because it took up to much over all space and use this instead for the hdd.

[​IMG]
    I have some spare ccfl's that I can use.

[​IMG]
    LED Underglow? Nah, these are for tranc3 (they run off of 5v)

[​IMG]
    Mount the 2.5" OS drive under here? Maaaaaybe.

[​IMG]
    I found a motherboard tray from a $25 case tranc3 bought a long time ago.

[​IMG]
    Here it is now.

I will make a 19" rackmount in the space where the patchpanel is now so I can have a real mount for the patch panel and hopefully add a tray for a keyboard and mouse. The switch and power strip will reside in the lower left cabinet. I will cut 3 holes in the back left, 1 for power, 1 for the lan cables going to the patch panel, and 1 for ventilation via a 80mm aerocool fan. I will cut a hole in the middle for the lan cable to the server mobo and a power cable for the power supply. and the right back I will have the standard mAtx backplate hole

This G31 Jetway board will be the base for the color scheme. I am planning to buy this motherboard as well. I have a spare Celeron D / P4 I will use for the time being, until I buy a new processor for Silent Night.

I can get the TT BLue Orb II locally for $17, so I figure I might as well.

This ram will suffice. I have a 1gb stick of Kingston somewhere that I will use as well, until I buy another stick.

I am thinking of installing Windows Server 2008(64bit?) as ease of use to me, and so I can run Steam server clients for Lan's.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Last edited: 2 Jan 2009
  2. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Cool idea! I think you've got a few duplicate pics there where you didn't want em. ;)
    I like the sliding drawer thing for ease of maintenance, will you make it so you can slide the whole thing out?

3. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

alright can't wait to see it tomorrow. I'm hoping you make a custom chassis that slides out that has every thing mounted on it, and drive cages and psu that swing out of the way of the motherboard once slid out of the "hole" I'll show you what i think you should do tomorrow, now i want to do a server.

4. wbdog206

wbdog206 not me

very interesting.

5. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Very cool idea.. and practical!

6. NightrainSrt4

NightrainSrt4 What's a Dremel?

Very interesting.

As a side note:
    I've been looking at that desk you have as I now have a very nice glass desk, but isn't large enough to hold dual monitors and everything else I have. How do you like it? I know the top is just dense particle board, but it seemed like the metal legs were decent, so I could make a new top out of hardwood or plexi when the top started to go.

7. 500mph

Fixed the image, thanks for letting me know.
    In those pics it is as far out as it can go, but all you have to do is lift it up a little to take the drawer out which I will do if it is to much of a hassle to work on it while it's on the track.

Thanks for the comment. The drivecage is going to be mounted to the stand, but the psu will be mounted to the sliding drawer.

Thank you!

Indeed it is. I try to factor in ease of use when I mod.

I've had this desk for a while and it is just fine. I removed the sliding keyboard tray because It would just get in my way sometimes. The longer piece of the L has bowed a little bit, but it isn't to bad for me. Now Tranc3 has the same desk(That he is planning on cutting new wood for) and his piece has bowed more than mine has. I built a shelf underneath the corner piece to keep my computer and surge protector off of the ground with 2x4's and some plywood. I also have a dowel that supports the corner piece because It didnt feel like it was supported enough.

8. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

Yea, its an awesome desk, just find a way to "reinforce" the longest side. i got mine for around $40 I think 500mph may have gotten his cheaper.

9. 500mph

I got a few new things...

6-32 Threaded Inserts
    [​IMG]

Blue Cable Sleeving for $5 @ Radioshack
    [​IMG]

Blue Orb II for $19.99 @ Radioshack
    [​IMG]

Here is a piece of plexi I stumbled across
    [​IMG]

I plan on bending the legs of the plexi at a 90degree angle and mount it on the front of the stand to hold the power button and front panel jacks.

(I would have better pics of the plexi if kodak didnt make ridiculous battery requirements.)

10. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

Floppy drive camera is fail? also blue orb looks better then i thought, whats that plexi out of? I've seen that shape before.

11. 500mph

Yes.
    It does. And it pretty quiet too.
    Something from school. I don't remember what. Something in Physics class.

12. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

This is a very cool idea. Nice start, I will be watching this.

13. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

Ah, oh well, got any sketchup or any thing on the server stand? or just playing it by ear?

14. 500mph

I decided to go with air cooling for now, since it be a hassle to have this water cooled.
    I did remember that the TT Blueorb was to big, but I think I found away around that.

[​IMG]
    There is barely enough space this way. I have to elevate the Power Supply above the board otherwise it won't fit at all.

[​IMG]
    Yay! my Hdd's should fit up there. And whats that sitting above all of this?

[​IMG]
    My trusty Linksys switch. The school was going to trash it due to a failing internal fan, but I rescued it.

[​IMG]
    I can still use that HDD rack from earlier, I just need to bend/cut off a tab.

[​IMG]
    Closer view.

I will probably update GhettoCool before this one, as I borrowed parts from this to use in GhettoCool.

15. DonT-FeaR

DonT-FeaR I know what a fk'n Dremel is ok.:D

looks pretty ghetto :p
    lol i like it good work

16. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Could you not raise the sliding draw (bit the motherboard and stuff is on) and mount the HDD's in a cage under it?

17. BlackWhizz

BlackWhizz What's a Dremel?

Or mount the motherboard vertical and then you have more space for your PSU/HDD's.