1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks show off your fileserver

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yakyb, 14 May 2008.

1. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Dear me that's ridiculously cool! I've been looking to put a WHS together for a while now, but I need to sort out a desktop system first. I'm surprised you can run a modern MS OS on that sorta hardware ;) I'd probably need something with a bit more kick as I want to use it as a central PVR as well, in which case I'll need to be powering up to 4 TV tuners simultaneously. What do you use yours for?

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Want.

I've got some random mobo and CPU running XP and VNC server spitting out... I think 620GB or so. It really needs a lot more storage but I can't be bothered to deal with it until I have something running OS X (since XP sucks at being a fileserver due to stupid NTFS limitations).

All of my web server doings and most other stuff is done through my MBP (over wireless no less), the poor thing.

3. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

Used to just have my main rig filesharing every computer on the network, but moved it to a thecus n2100 nas with 500gb storage. Best thing i ever bought tbh, esp as a bit-torrent downloader machine that inst pulling 300W!

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

N2100 with 1TB HDD that was £98 from Ebuyer :)

My parents house has a Cubit 3 with 2x320GB hard drives and a 1GHz P3 Tuli on a mini-itx board running FreeNAS.

That server above does look the sex. My N2100 looks like **** in comparison. :(

5. Stickeh

And is probably noiser lol :p
    Does the n2100 not mind the massive drive? They keep saying it has limits of 800gb, but i think its just the most thats on the market right now limit lol...
    Im thinking of getting another and will prob plump for a TB, flop all the files onto it, and get another TB to have fun with :D

6. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

I don't have any pics, sorry.

Rig:
    Duron 1.0ghz
    256mb ram
    160gb HD
    Slackware 12.0

nothin much, but for what i need it for (transferring/storing schoolwork) it works just perfect

7. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Celeron Coppermine 733MHz
    64Mb RAM
    2x160Gb HDD's
    Runs Xebian.

Xbox Linux cheesecake. :naughty:

8. W-fault

W-fault Otherwise known as widefault

Mine is basically acting as a backup server right now, I don't trust it for much more than that until MS fixes WHS. Somewhere around here I have a Celeron-M 520 that's supposed to go into that box, but I haven't felt like tearing it apart right now. I've also got a project in the early stages that will be a companion external drive case to add two more SATA drives over eSATA. That'll use my last sliver of breadbox aluminum, basically a ~4" tall version of the server.

9. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Behold, the power, of Mother Dell:worried:
    Dell Dimension something or other powered by:
    Intels amazing 2.66ghz celeron
    1.25gb DDR 333mhz Ram
    Intel Extreme GFX (about 1kb:hehe:)
    A huge 40gb hdd (who needs 1tb? honestly)
    All powers Microsofts Windows Server 2003 R2

Manages to do some file and print serving, but mainly sits there doing folding@home as thats about all it can do.
    The Pics:
    [​IMG]

Sam

Ninja edit:
    Its a Dimension 3000
    On a side note, it boots faster with Server quicker than my main rig with Vista.

10. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Soon to be using one of Stickeh's spare N2100s with 2x1TB
    Also have a 1TB in an always-on low power Pentium-M HTPC/server (20w cheesecake) which is kind of a fileserver, but its unlikely to be used as much once the N2100 arrives

11. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

I've got a WD MybookWorld 1Tb NAS. I use it for file sharing and torrents, it's pretty much ideal. Quite noisy though.

12. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

Only got a pathetic old Dell GX100 (400MHz PII) with 256MB RAM (tried more, but it didn't want to play) and a 160GB HDD running CentOS 4.6.

Shortly going to be upgrading my old XP2500 based system to have a 160GB HDD, 1GB RAM, and an old Radeon Mobility 9600 graphics card. I may combine the two 160GB HDD and get rid of the Dell chassis cos it's taking up space I can use for the other server.

Probably going to put Fedora on the new system, but I could be persuaded to use CentOS 5.1 instead. They're only going to be used for file/print sharing, mailserving and as a web server, so I don't need all that much grunt.

Andy

13. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I must say i wasn't aware of the 'thecus n2100'. Over the last week or so, i have been thinking of building a low power file server around a ITX form factor. I still might as the 'thecus n2100' carries a high price.

i need to set up my old computer and see if i actually need a file server...

14. Max Spain

Max Spain What's a Dremel?

I have a Micro ATX mobo with a 1.5 G Via C7-D and a CN700 chipset featuring 1 Gig of ram with a D-Link DGE 530T Gig-E nic running Ubuntu housed in a Silverstone LC17B. I have been able to get ~30 MBytes/sec peak reads from ext-3 which isn't bad considering the HW.

15. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

How are those Thecus units treating you guys? What does data throughput look like? I'm always keeping an eye out for a good four- or five-drive NAS box that'll do all the magical stuff that the manual seems to imply those things handle. Then again, maybe I'll just pick up one of those CF->IDE adapters and start screwing around with Glider's guide and a Linux distro once again. They all seem to suck at AFP support though, and that's big for me.

16. zelox991

zelox991 Wanna-Be-Modder

mm..i don't have a file server or anything of that sort.
    but it seems that the system specs aren't all that impressive.
    so my question is, what is it mainly used for for YOU and is it nessessary?

17. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

Pentium IV 2.5Ghz, 1Gb ram, 520watt corsair psu, matx motherboard, no onboard lan or sata, so it has a nic, and two pci sata cards, contains 2.5Tb's worth of discs (8 physical) Used for filesharing throughtout my house. Will be getting replaced as it's no longer possibly to expand it. It's in a £9.99 case too! Will post a pic when i find one...

*edit*
    to answer the question of is it neccessary, yes, as i dont need or want to cart 8 hard drives along to lans in my watercooled PC71, it weighs too much. Also it means i can stick it under the stairs and the housemates can access it without the grinding of hard drives annoying the hell out of me...
    *edit*

RwD

18. Stickeh

They are awesome with a load of modules you can load to it for ftp ssh and even bittorrent downloading :)
    There are some about to come onto ebay land within the next week, keep an eye out if you dont want to pay scan prices :p

19. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

yes absolutly its Low spec therefore low power usage

as i have said previously
    it runs my website (currently in build phase)
    ftp server
    active directory
    File server (which will feed HTPC as soon as i get a house)
    backups of all documents

runs a vnc client (willl be moving to remote desktop shortly)

whilst i would like it to be a video editing box it just isnt powerful enough

20. Seraphim Works

Seraphim Works What's a Dremel?

Might as well throw mine into the thread. I haven't got any pictures yet, but hopefully I can get in the workshop to knock something up this coming week.

VIA Epia M10000 (1ghz C7)
    1gb DDR ram
    PCI dual slot riser with a gigabit card and wireless card hanging off it
    120gb 2.5" drive
    50w pico-psu

It's pretty quiet at the moment seeing as I've taken the stock 40mm fan off the heatsink and placed a 92mm spinning at 7v over it. Still, I'd like to go fanless at some point.

It's running Clarkconnect, a linux distro which serves as a router, firewall, wireless ap (amusing to set up) and server. I'm also running a proxy server on it.
    I've also got a VM on it that runs Windows 2000 for any windows apps I need to run. At the moment, it's mainly utorrent (with the web interface set up) along with a few other apps. Even with quite a lot of processes running plus a VM, load is sitting at 0.6. It's just a shame it doesn't quite have the horsepower for gigabit, but there's always Atom or Isaiah.

I've managed to consolidate my router and old server which combined drew an average of 80w into a seriously compact machine that draws 35w. Not too shabby.